2014 Mazda CXV: Lost Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older relative who is panicked over losing one of the keys. The dealer quoted her near $400, even more panick ensued! Evidently these keys are coded to the vehicle.

Assuming she doesn't find it soon, what's a solution to obtaing a new one w/o paying the dealer?

You can try getting a used fob off eBay or see if a locksmith has one stocked. The hard part is programming it to the car, many locksmiths do have access to the factory-level diagnosis system but getting a used fob to work is going to be hit or miss.

If the Ford/Mazda diagnostics system allows for the immobilizer portion of the PCM to be erased of all existing keys and then a new seed value(a big long string of numbers) to be written to it along with any keys/fobs to be programmed you might be lucky.

bdcardinal would know more about this.

It does cost that much. My dad bought a 14 Mazda5 former rental, only 1 key, and the used car dealer said bring the receipt for the extra key plus programming from the Maada dealer, it cost $500.

Keep looking for the other key. I've heard people who lost one keep the key inside the car and use a cut dumb key to get in and out, so that they don't have to pay $4-500 to replace it.

Locksmith.

I had a second key (just the key, I had two Advanced Key "fobs" but one was missing the removable traditional key with transponder chip)

It was $65 to have the addtional key made and added to my car.

I suspect you could get a locksmith to make a key for 1/3 to 2/3rds of what a dealer charges.

Edited to add. My car is a newly acquired 2012 Mazda3

oilBabe lost one of the keys to her former 2010 Altima, and having only one made me nervous, so for under $200, the locksmith was able to make a new Nissan Intellikey or whatever it's called.

Last edited:
On something that new, I doubt the aftermarkets got it covered yet

Especially if it's push button/smart key

Shop around dealers is my best advice

Last edited:
She swears it's inside the house. Her + son have looked 'everywhere' but no joy. I'm willing to contribute my keen eye + very bright light however she's not currently accepting visitors....unfortunately this just added more stress to her health problems. Finding it would be a great relief to her, however.

Therefore, it'll have to wait. Maybe they'll get lucky...

That is about right when you factor in labor for programming. There is only one option for the key on a CX-5 and it is sold as a fob and key. The vehicle is push button start so you cannot just get a key, you need the expensive fob. Mazda programming requires the technician to go to Mazda's tech webpage and enter personal data if you do it the correct way. We have locksmiths calling all the time wanting us to give them the required access code and we can only do it when the MDS (Mazda's scan tool) is hooked up to the vehicle.

The key will show up after you pay the $400 for a new one. It always turns out that way. Keep looking. Someone will find it.

They have trackers now for items like keys. Just attach the tracker to the fob. It's a good idea for those who lose things regularly.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
and all this is to prevent theft?

Ive neve had a car stolen.

Must be a very decent area to live, full of upright people. Sadly most of us live in metro areas. The one I am in is known for car theft.

People still steal newer cars, if anything the new proximity-based systems make it easier in some cases. There are devices on the black market that can grab the RF transmissions and guess via algorithms which code will grant access to the car and start it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Anyone see anything remotely insane about a KEY costing $400?? Is it really necessary?
+1
That's just nuts....

I read that she still has one working key. We have a local family hardware store that makes chipped key copies from your key for $125. I have heard that some dealers get up to $400 if you don't have a key or key number for them. Shop around. Ed

Ive neve had a car stolen.

You've never owned a car in NYC, have you?

Chipped keys have silenced wailing alarms, while disarming would be joyriders and opportunistic thieves

Here is a link to a site that will show stats for your area.

https://www.nicb.org/home Click on the Theft and Fraud Awareness link in the window.

For example, in 2016, 20704 cars were stolen in the metro area I live in. That comes to around 57 cars every day.

Please tell me when the 2nd key is "necessary". Unless you like to dangle zillion keys on your key-chain, including all the vehicle keys that you own (NOT recommended!), every car really only "needs" one key. All of our vehicle spare keys are just stored are not use used at all.

Unless you swap the vehicle somewhere outside the home aka at school or at work place, there is no need to have multiple keys for single car. Only single individual can drive the car at one time. Get in the habit of keeping the working key at easily accessible place inside he house where it gets borrowed when the car gets borrowed. Car comes back, the key goes back on the wall.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Please tell me when the 2nd key is "necessary". Unless you like to dangle zillion keys on your key-chain, including all the vehicle keys that you own (NOT recommended!), every car really only "needs" one key. All of our vehicle spare keys are just stored are not use used at all.

Unless you swap the vehicle somewhere outside the home aka at school or at work place, there is no need to have multiple keys for single car. Only single individual can drive the car at one time. Get in the habit of keeping the working key at easily accessible place inside he house where it gets borrowed when the car gets borrowed. Car comes back, the key goes back on the wall.

Leave a car at a location for another to pick it up.

Ran into this with the oldest daughter a couple of years ago. Turns out, she had both sets of keys and had to come back and give me one so I could take her car home from where she left it for me.

I keep a second set of keys because I know my family.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Unless you swap the vehicle somewhere outside the home aka at school or at work place

But people do precisely that, all the time.

Last edited:
Few decades ago, I remember doing it myself but I can't recall if it was strictly necessary even then.

Do people swap unattended cars at public places? One person locks the car, goes away, another person comes in, takes the car, but why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back