PZ Ultra Platinum /1.5 Ecoboost Fusion - 30k mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Pennzoil Ultra Platnium 5W20
Car: 16’ Fusion 1.5 Ecoboost
Change Interval: 5,432 miles
Change History: Factory Fill changed at 1,500 miles with Motorcraft - Switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at 5,000 miles.
Filter: Motorcraft
Type of Driving: Mountainous/Highway/Hard Accelerations Daily
Miles on Car: 30,432

JUSTIN: You're not asking too much of this Ford. In fact, this engine is wearing quite nicely. Universal
averages show typical wear for the 1.5L EcoBoost after ~5,700 miles of oil use. Your metals are low by
comparison, and that shows a healthy engine under the hood. This fill of Ultra Platinum certainly got the job
done. The viscosity is appropriate for the grade, and the flashpoint reading is high enough to rule out any
significant fuel dilution. Oil filtration looks good too (low insolubles). The TBN shows plenty of active additive
left, so let's try ~7,505 miles next time.

to4XEeG.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report. As noted by BlSt, Fuel%, flashpoint and tbn look good. Think I might try ~6500 miles next rather than 7500 suggested. PUP with MC filter worked well here.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Nice report. As noted by BlSt, Fuel%, flashpoint and tbn look good. Think I might try ~6500 miles next rather than 7500 suggested. PUP with MC filter worked well here.

I’m hoping PUP keeps me from having carbon deposits on the intake valves. Looks to be doing the job.

Now how does any oil keep carbon deposits from getting on intake valves? I didn't think any oil should be coming in contact with the inlet side of the valve?

Originally Posted By: Burt
Now how does any oil keep carbon deposits from getting on intake valves? I didn't think any oil should be coming in contact with the inlet side of the valve?

By resisting evaporation with a low Noack.

justinKK2005, the iOLM (intelligent oil life monitor) algorithm on your car is very good at predicting oil life. You are using an excellent oil, better than what Ford assumed in their iOLM, so you would be fine just following the iOLM and resetting it properly when you change.
Beware of Motorcraft oil filters made by Purolator. They are part of the infamous Purolator tearing issue. I'd use a Fram Ultra if I were you.
That engine is in perfect condition, and its wearing fine.

You’ve never seen inside of the charge pipe of an ecoboost. Full of oil due to the PCV system. Low NOACK of this oil can prevent the oil from coking on the valves.

Originally Posted By: Onug
Those are great numbers, especially if you’re driving the engine hard. What was the OLM at when you changed the oil?

51%. This car has a rough life in the terrain I live in (Appalachian Mountains). It is very weak so it’s treated rough passing cars going up hill.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
justinKK2005, the iOLM (intelligent oil life monitor) algorithm on your car is very good at predicting oil life. You are using an excellent oil, better than what Ford assumed in their iOLM, so you would be fine just following the iOLM and resetting it properly when you change.
Beware of Motorcraft oil filters made by Purolator. They are part of the infamous Purolator tearing issue. I'd use a Fram Ultra if I were you.

The motorcraft filter I use is from Walmart. I’ve always used high end oil filters until I bought this. I expected Ford to raise a stink if I ever had an engine issue. Seems to be working well though.

Originally Posted By: justinkk2005

The motorcraft filter I use is from Walmart. I’ve always used high end oil filters until I bought this. I expected Ford to raise a stink if I ever had an engine issue. Seems to be working well though.
From Walmart, made by Purolator, which is potentially a problem. They have never addressed their tearing problems. Motorcrafts are a part of it. Just a risk. Why use anything Purolator-made?
I agree there will probably be no engine issues using the 'Puro-Trash' Tearolators, as they are called.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...p=sharing#gid=0

I agree.

I would go 7500 miles and do another UOA....I'd be very surprised if SOPUS best product (PUP) couldn't handle it.

I also agree on using a different oil filter....I really don't trust anything Purolator makes because of the 'tearing issue' and their refusal to do anything about it....

Another nice Ford EcoBoost UOA. It seems that maybe Ford has done some "homework" on using Turbo DI engines without allowing lots of fuel to dilute the oil. Which seems to happen with some other makes using Turbo DI engines. Interesting that your 1.5 EcoBoost spec's 5W-20 and my 2017 2.3 EcoBoost spec's 5W-30. Yours did well on 5W-20 for the almost 5,500 mile OCI.

Whimsey

From Walmart, made by Purolator, which is potentially a problem. They have never addressed their tearing problems. Motorcrafts are a part of it. Just a risk. Why use anything Purolator-made?
I agree there will probably be no engine issues using the 'Puro-Trash' Tearolators, as they are called.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...p=sharing#gid=0

Honestly I didn’t really know about this. I had no way of knowing until now so thank you. What would you recommend? I remember Mobil 1 filters used to be well respected.
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Another nice Ford EcoBoost UOA. It seems that maybe Ford has done some "homework" on using Turbo DI engines without allowing lots of fuel to dilute the oil. Which seems to happen with some other makes using Turbo DI engines. Interesting that your 1.5 EcoBoost spec's 5W-20 and my 2017 2.3 EcoBoost spec's 5W-30. Yours did well on 5W-20 for the almost 5,500 mile OCI.

Whimsey

I didn’t expect this good of an analysis for as rough as I am on this car!

Nice report, 5400 miles on PP 5W20, with only 7 ppm iron wear and 3.9 is lots of TBN left. Viscosity still looks fine with KV100 of ~ 8.4 cSt.

The zinc at 740 ppm looks standard, the Ca at ~ 2400 ppm looks good, a touch of moly 55 ppm and a touch of Boron 48 ppm complete a nice looking oil.

If I don't need the extra cold start (of a 0W) and I know I'm getting a quality synthetic base (like PP) then the 5W20 is my pick for the 20 grade oils. It has lower volatility and more shear stability than an equivalent made 0W20.

All up I'm impressed with both the engine and the oil, keep doing the same, but maybe extend the OCI a bit, lots of life left in that oil. PP is good stuff.

Honestly I didn’t really know about this. I had no way of knowing until now so thank you. What would you recommend? I remember Mobil 1 filters used to be well respected.
Sad, but its been going on for the last few years. Purolator is not trusted much. Mobil 1 filters are very good; Fram Ultra's from Walmart are better. This based on ISO 4548-12 and the Ultra's construction. Could order MicroGreen oil filters from Amazon.com too, they are very good as well. Royal Purple oil filters are very good. Ultra hard to beat and easy-cheap to get.

Sad, but its been going on for the last few years. Purolator is not trusted much. Mobil 1 filters are very good; Fram Ultra's from Walmart are better. This based on ISO 4548-12 and the Ultra's construction. Could order MicroGreen oil filters from Amazon.com too, they are very good as well. Royal Purple oil filters are very good. Ultra hard to beat and easy-cheap to get.

I’ve always heard Fram was absolutely garbage. Have they stepped in their game lately?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Nice report, 5400 miles on PP 5W20, with only 7 ppm iron wear and 3.9 is lots of TBN left. Viscosity still looks fine with KV100 of ~ 8.4 cSt.

The zinc at 740 ppm looks standard, the Ca at ~ 2400 ppm looks good, a touch of moly 55 ppm and a touch of Boron 48 ppm complete a nice looking oil.

If I don't need the extra cold start (of a 0W) and I know I'm getting a quality synthetic base (like PP) then the 5W20 is my pick for the 20 grade oils. It has lower volatility and more shear stability than an equivalent made 0W20.

All up I'm impressed with both the engine and the oil, keep doing the same, but maybe extend the OCI a bit, lots of life left in that oil. PP is good stuff.

Thank you. I’m surprised the oil is holding up to my abuse so well!

I’ve always heard Fram was absolutely garbage. Have they stepped in their game lately?
For the last ~10 years they have. I like the fact that they add some glass fibers even in their lowest Orange Can line, for blend of glass and paper. Other filters are 100% paper only. Ultra is 100% synthetic fibers, I think mostly glass fibers with possibly some polyester fibers; main point is they don't use any paper fibers in their Ultra line at all.

I’m hoping PUP keeps me from having carbon deposits on the intake valves. Looks to be doing the job.
How so?

Originally Posted By: CT8

How so?

Originally Posted By: wemay

By resisting evaporation with a low Noack.

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
The UOA looks great, Justin. Thanks for sharing!

- Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Thank you for making a great oil, however, PLEASE work on making it more available! It's such a pain to find in stores and online. Wal-Mart.com says they do not carry 5W20 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back