Center tube of oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I’ve been hearing a lot of things around the forums about the center tubes of oil filters and the small openings in them. I’ve heard how louvered center tubes are bad in oil filters and how non louvered center tubes are a lot better. My question is why are non louvered center tubes better then louvered ones? I’ve seen several brands that run louvered center tubes and haven’t noticed any issues. I’ve seen them in amsoil, baldwin, hastings, purolater, royal purple and a few other brands. I really only see the non louvered ones on fram and wix. Why is that? Why would companies switch to louvered if they are so bad?

Louvers are fine IF they are opened up correctly. There have neen lots of photos posted of louvers that were barely cracked open, which could restrict flow. Always inspect filters with louvers to ensure they are opened a decent amount. Forming louvers shouldn't be rocket science, but seems it is for a few companies.

Seems it would produce less debris in the machine doing the perforations - and these "donut holes" drifting everywhere you don't want them to be ...

I too would think louvered centertubes are less expensive to produce. Baldwin/Hastings been doing louvers right for some time.

And unfortunately in past, false or mis-information has been posted about the louvered center tube design on this sub forum. Fortunately now, in my observation that has become much less prevalent.

Definitely easier to manufacture, and slows flow to reduce pressure on the media maybe?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I think louvers are easier to manufacture than punching a hole.

It seems forming metal to the correct shape is harder than punching out holes for some filter makers. And manufacturing consistency can vary from the same maker, call it bad QA. I'll post some example pix later.

Then you have these Nissan OEM filters with NO room for oil to move around the end cap to get to the filter. This "design" Blew my new engine on my new versa note 3 years ago. Nice Jobs beancuter ding bats - and the engineer that signed off ( his/her had was likely FORCED by Mgmt).

Now I run the M1 Ep 110A

!NO Hay Problema!

Always inspect the louvers to make sure they are opened up a decent amount. I've seen quite a few with nearly closed louvers as shown below.

Good Louvers

Bad Louvers

These louvers aren't even opened up ... they are just "bumps".

All this discussion of louvers gives me more confidence in the Toyota TRD filters I use:

LC200TRDOilFilterCutaway_20MAY13_zps0a7e49d8.jpg

LC200OilFilterComparo2_19MA_zps91db2cfd.jpg

HTH

Originally Posted By: BlueOval83
ZeeOSix, what filter is that with the good louvers?

Not sure ... those photos were posted in this forum and I saved them for examples of good vs bad louvers.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Then you have these Nissan OEM filters with NO room for oil to move around the end cap to get to the filter. This "design" Blew my new engine on my new versa note 3 years ago. Nice Jobs beancuter ding bats - and the engineer that signed off ( his/her had was likely FORCED by Mgmt).

Now I run the M1 Ep 110A

!NO Hay Problema!

An engineer would measure and calculate the space, without the folded edge of course, and show the numbers. Where are your numbers and proof. The Nissan filters go on thousands of vehicles every day, you are the only one who claims an engine was destroyed by one because the element is closed up. You will find Nissan engineers allowed enough space if you measure other than by eye. You won't show any proof, as it has been asked before.

Hastings/Baldwin seems to be the only company that actually knows how to make louvers properly and consistently, slots that are actually fully formed and opened up properly.

There have been too many Purolator and Champ slotted tubes with incompletely-punched slots. This NEVER happens with Hastings/Baldwin, since they make them differently.

So for me, it's round holes or Hastings. Wix seems to be going back to, or keeping, round holes (at least the ones for cars I change the oil on). Fram doesn't use louvers on anything they sell under their own name.

Quote:
...Fram doesn't use louvers on anything they sell under their own name...

Apparently they do. Been at least two posts HERE and HERE showing the PH3786 used for diesel applications uses a louvered centertube. Admittedly though that is an exception to majority Fram hole opening tubes.

As with any filter purchase if practicable, inspection prior to purchase including down centertube is preferable. That said using anecdotes posted here, some louvered center tubes that appeared something less than well formed down center tube, with the media removed and exposed to light have shown more than enough opening and openings. In addition to Baldwin/Hastings, the Motorcraft anecdotes using louvers have generally looked good too.

I don't believe louvers "slow the flow" as was once regularly posited here. If anything, because there are generally many more of them than holes, they may spread the oil flow over a greater area. Fwiw, perhaps that distributes the pressure on media more evenly.

So no fear of louvered center tubes here, preferably with prior inspection.

I have no issue with louvers at all as long as they are open. I have been unable to tell on some recent Motorcrafts and was forced to pass.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Now I run the M1 Ep 110A

!NO Hay Problema!

An engineer would measure and calculate the space, without the folded edge of course, and show the numbers. Where are your numbers and proof. The Nissan filters go on thousands of vehicles every day, you are the only one who claims an engine was destroyed by one because the element is closed up. You will find Nissan engineers allowed enough space if you measure other than by eye. You won't show any proof, as it has been asked before.
I don't have to prove ANYTHING to this forum. Only to MYSELF. Proof is in the pudding, buddy -It didnt work on 2 different Nissan engines. Put on a Honda filter and ALL noise and problems went away.
I listen for non harmonic engine noise and do not live in a fantasy world of "it aint broke until its broke". As do all good engine guys and drivers. Nissan DUMPED this filter for GONHER which are MARGINALLY better but not good enough for me due to ADBV failures 1/2 way through the 6000 mile OCI. If you wish to calc the inlet gap (dry - before water and oil swelling) Ill give you a generous 0.010" gap at the inner circumference - whatever that is.
No need for further study use at your own peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back