Is there an HDEO that stands out from the others

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that any single product is recognized as better than the others.
Every major brand of HDEO should offer decent detergency.

Maybe a full synthetic would be the best choice. Its not higher in detergent but greater solvency....my layman 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
as far as cleaning ability?

What is it that you have which needs cleaning? Please post pictures.

Or is this just another thought exercise not based on any specific problem?

Schaeffers HDEO's have excellent detergency packages and has proven studies and pictures of tear downs etc.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
I'm going to use the information this weekend, but thx for playing and checking in again.

Oh that's good, although I'm not sure I am the one playing. The pictures are very helpful because depending on what the exact problem is the course of action may not be the same. If it is heavy sludge that's a different problem than heavy varnish for example. And a lot of times stuff doesn't even really need "cleaning" as such.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Schaeffers HDEO's have excellent detergency packages and has proven studies and pictures of tear downs etc.

Well I guess I am already entered in this strange little game.

Aee you saying Schaeffers has heen compared against competitor products and test results show it is vastly superior or are you saying Schaeffer has made an advertising claim that they are the greatest?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Well I guess I am already entered in this strange little game.

Aee you saying Schaeffers has heen compared against competitor products and test results show it is vastly superior or are you saying Schaeffer has made an advertising claim that they are the greatest?

Arctic,

that was a very simple statement. Schaeffers makes an HDEO that has excellent detergency and studies proving that.
The "greatest" is unachievable.

Schaeffers make a very very good HDEO engine oils meeting a variety of specs for a variety of environments. They have done extensive studies.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/engine-oils.html

I and my Dad have always used Havoline when first buying a used car as it really removes the crud. I use it for 2 changes and then switch to synthetic.

Arctic,
It is a very simple statement.
The "greatest" is unachievable.

Schaeffers make a very very good HDEO engine oils meeting a variety of specs for a variety of environments. They have done extensive studies.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/engine-oils.html

Yep. A very simple statement made by every HDEO producer. The link you provided says their oil also offers superior lubrication. ;-)

Imagine that.

Well there's Chevron Delo 400 LE (the only 5w30 synthetic HDEO available in the US anywhere, and I've only seen it on Amazon)

What is being cleaned ...

Most time if I want to see if a lifter tick will go away, or some other system that is oil dependent, I'll toss in a can of BG-109 (EPR) and run it at least 500 miles.

If it's just varnish or something I switch oils through many changes. Differing chemistry of each will do different things, but the bottom line is slow cleaning
smile.gif

PYB is a start and easy to come by
smile.gif

Then maybe Delo 400 and onto another
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Plain old GTX Ultraclean averages about 2,500 ppm calcium plus about 200ppm boron. If you don't need an HDEO that is one stout package right there.

Almost pulled the trigger on GTX Ultraclean. Wally had a nice deal on it. But, went with Dino PYB 5w20. Hard to argue with NOACK and calcium. Plus I got 2 qts of T6 bc, I'm sorta a mad scientist and enjoy experimentation.

So its PYB+a little T6 for the clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back