Oil stash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's impressive I have to say about the lot numbers. I have maybe 24 qts on hand right now. I use them to take care of three vehicles overall. The lady's Camry, my Altima, and her friends Nissan Juke.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I'm pretty new around here and have seen reference to folks' oil stash...

So, help me out with this, what is the purpose? Hoarding money, absolutely. Keeping food storage, yep. Gasoline. Toilet tissue. Water. Bullets. I get them all.

Oil stash I'm just not seeing. It's ridiculously cheap in comparison to most things, you don't need often, and I've never had trouble finding it. Heck, I spend $$$ more taking the family out to eat once, than I do on an OCI.

I'm not meaning to be inflammatory. I honestly cannot fathom a why other than I want to... which I'm good with. But is there another why? Help me out folks.

Far less than 10% of those on this forum hoard oil. The rest of us keep our stash at Walmart or some where else reasonable.

I find the word hoard somewhat incorrect, more like stocking up when oil is on sale is what I do. And yeah, it's just for fun. $2 Autozone synthetic or $1 semisynthetic is a pretty good price, better than the shelves at Walmart. I think hoarding would be just buying it up no matter what the price. It's always good to have at least a little oil on sale. Before my stash, if you didn't have any oil and need a little top off oil, you'd be stuck paying full price if it wasn't on sale at the time. In the old days there was even free oil like Nexgen or Quaker State.

There is at least one member on here with 300 quarts. Sorry that's hoarding.

So, help me out with this, what is the purpose? Hoarding money, absolutely. Keeping food storage, yep. Gasoline. Toilet tissue. Water. Bullets. I get them all.

Oil stash I'm just not seeing. It's ridiculously cheap in comparison to most things, you don't need often, and I've never had trouble finding it. Heck, I spend $$$ more taking the family out to eat once, than I do on an OCI.

I'm not meaning to be inflammatory. I honestly cannot fathom a why other than I want to... which I'm good with. But is there another why? Help me out folks.

Far less than 10% of those on this forum hoard oil. The rest of us keep our stash at Walmart or some where else reasonable.

I find the word hoard somewhat incorrect, more like stocking up when oil is on sale is what I do. And yeah, it's just for fun. $2 Autozone synthetic or $1 semisynthetic is a pretty good price, better than the shelves at Walmart. I think hoarding would be just buying it up no matter what the price. It's always good to have at least a little oil on sale. Before my stash, if you didn't have any oil and need a little top off oil, you'd be stuck paying full price if it wasn't on sale at the time. In the old days there was even free oil like Nexgen or Quaker State.

I think that depends on how many vehicles and how much oil they go through in a year. If that guy used 10 quarts a year, then yeah 300 quarts would be a 30 year supply and fall into the hoarding category. On the other hand if it's for multiple vehicles and it's 100-150 a year, then a 2-3 year supply isn't that bad. Sorta like stocking up at Costco, you end up with large quantities that take a while to use up.

Not one sump. I mean the 5 vehicles I maintain have a combined capacity of 27qt. So 3x a year each, you get the picture.

That would be me. If you count gear oil, tcw3 atf and maybe even coolant then without a doubt I have over 300. If only motor oil then I don't think I have broken 300.

I have about 60 litres of various oils stashed, which is a lot given that I only use about 12 litres per year. Most of it is discounted synthetic. Mineral is cheap enough not to bother stashing.

If we had good sales and lower prices like in the US I'd probably stash more, but oil is pretty expensive here. $1-2/qt? 75% off? I wish.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
For a guy with a single owned vehicle and a company car, a stash may well be pointless.
To those of use who maintain a fleet of eight family vehicles as I do, the stash represents a significant savings.
When you can stack store deals with MIRs and get synthetics for less than a buck a quart, you really can't lose.
For that matter, I have applications that will be just fine on the clearance T5 I got for .25/qt AMIR.
It's all a matter of what you have to maintain as well as your own use of common sense in the grades you buy.
Buy right and you save significant money.
You want to give more money to Walmart instead then good for you.

Sounds like you have a lot of mouths to feed. Do you take the same stance with food, as well? To buy in bulk and "stash" it away.

Not a lot of mouths to feed, if you meant that literally, just a bunch of rolling stock to maintain.
Stash food?
No, since we generally buy fresh, rarely frozen or canned.
Fresh food spoils pretty quickly while a jug of oil remains perfectly useable for an indefinite period of time.

Not a lot of mouths to feed, if you meant that literally, just a bunch of rolling stock to maintain.

So you keep six vehicles for a hobby rather than necessary?

Why not? I own and have owned vehicles because I wanted them not needed them. There are plenty of other members here that are doing or have done the same thing.

I actually have eight licensed and insured runners.
No, not all of these vehicles are sitting in my garage and driveway but all are used.
Figure eighty or so quarts a year for oil changes.

I'm still not seeing it guys and gals.

I guess everyone handles money and hobbies differently. I'm not wealthy by any measure, we are just regular middle class Americans living in a small Texas town. But, I'm not sweating a couple hundred a year on oil.

I take the family out to eat twice every weekend, I could make up the difference eating at the house one of those weekend every month. And likely make a greater annual net savings. And by my estimation, with far less effort.

But then again, I hate shopping, so looking around for deals ranks below organizing my sock drawer.

I can't understand why you spend almost twice what I do on cell phones. You don't need to. There are cheaper options.
Why have unlimited data if you don't need it. Why have data at all?
Why do you take your family out twice every weekend? I just don't get it.

You can choose to spend your money on what you want.
Others can spend their money on what they want.
If they choose to pay 1/2 to 1/4 (or less) of what you spend on certain items, that is on you.
A couple of hundred is a couple of hundred. If it is no big deal, then send me a couple of hundred.

Why does it bother you so much what some choose to stash/hoard?

I actually have eight licensed and insured runners.
No, not all of these vehicles are sitting in my garage and driveway but all are used.
Figure eighty or so quarts a year for oil changes.

Roger that. Makes sense

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I guess everyone handles money and hobbies differently. I'm not wealthy by any measure, we are just regular middle class Americans living in a small Texas town. But, I'm not sweating a couple hundred a year on oil.

I take the family out to eat twice every weekend, I could make up the difference eating at the house one of those weekend every month. And likely make a greater annual net savings. And by my estimation, with far less effort.

But then again, I hate shopping, so looking around for deals ranks below organizing my sock drawer.

I can't understand why you spend almost twice what I do on cell phones. You don't need to. There are cheaper options.
Why have unlimited data if you don't need it. Why have data at all?
Why do you take your family out twice every weekend? I just don't get it.

You can choose to spend your money on what you want.
Others can spend their money on what they want.
If they choose to pay 1/2 to 1/4 (or less) of what you spend on certain items, that is on you.
A couple of hundred is a couple of hundred. If it is no big deal, then send me a couple of hundred.

Why does it bother you so much what some choose to stash/hoard?

I said multiple times I'm ok with it people doing what they and do... It was merely curiosity.

Why do people take ideal conversation and curiosity as insult and an affront to their chooses when a question is from an online forum... You're basically saying "why do you care what people do" while post on a forum where people discuss questions and the things they do... Take it down a notch or two, friend. Stash away.

Just trying to figure out the mentality...makes sense for some but not for all.

I tend to buy 3-4 changes for the vehicles I'm currently maintaining, and when I get down to 1 change that's on the horizon, repeat. I've been using Amsoil for 13 years now and it's a way of not paying to be a preferred customer every year. (insert discussion on PC prices and MLM here) I may switch to Schaeffer Oil in the next year or so, in which case I'll buy $375 worth of oil at a time to avoid shipping charges.

Or maybe just go back to VWB at WM for $15 for 5 quarts.....

I don't really get it either. I have a small stash, 4 5-quart containers and 4 oil filters for my 2 vehicles. At factory OCI's that's more than 2 years worth of supply. I can get an oil change for $21 at Walmart.

Now >150 L of mostly xW-40 semi-synth and group III oils thanks to October sales. The bizarre sales at all major retailers rendered group III cheaper than bottom rung mineral and some 100% PAO/ester synths cheaper than semi-synths. Weird. Anyway, that is several years' worth. I have no more room.

I don't understand it either really. I buy when I need it and usually Walmart or Meijer has a good price on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back