RL Heavy ShockProof in '00 996 MT with ATB Diff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to quiet down some of the lightweight flywheel chatter in my '00 996 and was considering using Red Line's Heavy ShockProof gear oil.

However, Red Line's description of "Not recommended for most synchro applications due to the product's extreme slipperiness" has me second-guessing myself. Needless to say, I'm not very technically savvy and am not sure if it'll be compatible with the Wavetrac diff (or everything else that's in the transaxle). Pros/cons...any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Shockproof is differential and transfer case oil. It works well in most applications. I dunno about the wave trac posi. For that you'd have to call RL.

As far as flywheel chatter, that is a whole nuther subject. You been beating on the clutch some ...
laugh.gif

Light weight flywheel chatter is a an issue caused by mechanical harmonics across the face of the clutch.

You don't have shock loads there, you have harmoncs.

Never understood why people use a lightweight clutch. They usually warp rather quickly.

Last edited:
Yup, some of the guys on the Porsche forums explained the harmonics thing of the single mass flywheel. BTW, it isn't a lightweight clutch I'm using. Rather, it's a lightweight flywheel. Very noticeable difference on the 996 when it comes to getting the revs up!

Yep, should have said:

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Never understood why people use a clutch SYSTEM with a lightweight flywheel. They usually warp rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back