Favorite rental vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I've seen a few rental car threads pop up, I figured I would ask. I rent cars more for fun than need, and use National exclusively due to the amazing service and great selection of cars.

I always book a midsize car and pick from the aisle or ask nicely for something I like. My favorites so far:

2017 Infiniti QX80
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2016 Lincoln MKS
2015 Maserati Ghibli (I paid the upgrade for this one, birthday present to myself)
2016 Ford Expedition Limited
2017 Audi Q5 2.0t

Since the BITOG community loves a deal... All but the Maserati were rented for less than $20 a day all in. So what are some of your favorites?

Ugh, this is a tough question....

hmmm, really enjoyed the C300 we had a couple of months ago.
Then again, the S60 Volvo and Mustang with V6 were also enjoyable.

Honestly, I cannot pinpoint a favorite. There's so many that all are great in different ways.

Caddy STS and DTS
Impala (latest iteration with v6)
MB C300
Charger with 5.7 Hemi in Vegas last June

....etc

I haven't rented in a while but until 2013, I worked at a job where I traveled often. My favorite was landing in Orlando, the rental car lady didn't have my reserved intermediate and wanted to bump me DOWN to compact. No way, your mistake, what do you have that's better, I asked. She asked if I wanted a convertible, probably not a popular option in late December.

Got a 2010 Mustang convertible with 4.0 V6. That's my favorite rental by far; rode good, sounded good, moved good, and looked [censored] good with the top down even though I was the only one brave enough to do that in the "cold" 50 degree weather. Ford got that model right, I can't wait to drive one with the 5.0 engine or larger.

Best recently was a F150 Crew cab 5.0 in New Orleans last summer, took it to Avery Island. Best of all, $50 a day from enterprise. Had a full size car booked but they were short and asked me if I'd take a truck, oh yeah I would.
smile.gif

Drove an entry level rental Fusion Hybrid today - the agent enjoyed telling me how much quieter it will be blah, blah - I was just nodding and smiling (see signature cars) ...
It was nice enough

My favourite rental of all time was a Renault Megane diesel sedan with a 6 speed manual, in France. Terrific mileage, very good torque (but no revs), nice ride, good handling. It had it all.

We had reserved a Renault Megane diesel sedan with a manual transmission but when we got to the rental office the clerk said they only had a gasoline automatic. Would I take that instead? Not much choice. But the automatic door opener wouldn't work so I refused to take it. "Would you take a diesel?" the clerk sighed.

As a North American tourist he had been trying to foist off the locally unpopular gasoline automatic on me. In Europe mileage counts, and a diesel gets good mileage, a manual gets even better mileage, and diesel fuel is also much cheaper than gasoline.

Doesn't matter, I'm going to beat the living daylights out of it, no need to worry about breaking it as I would if it was mine, or drawing attention as I would if I'd stolen it.

Claud.

Whatever junk they have at u-haul. Rented some early 90's GMC box trucks, a couple GMC flat beds, a Ford V10 with a slipping transmission.

The best was when I rented a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 with less than 10,000mi on it. Let's just say the engine needed a good break in.

I've recently rented several 2017 Hyundai Sonatas, base model, 4-cylinder. I was impressed with the 37-41 freeway gas mileage if driven carefully. For what they were, base commuter cars they were very good. Everything was where one would expect making the process of getting into a new strange car and driving away easy. Probably all the cars in this class are the same way and probably reliable over their life as well. The differences between best and worst in this class are becoming almost non-existent, all down to personal preferences and prejudices.

In order:

1. BMW E46 M3 that we rented in Germany. Smooth linear power on the autobahn.
2. 2013 Toyota Corolla LE in Indiana. I don't know why, but I thought this car was a hoot.
3. 2016 Chevrolet Impala in New York. Another incredibly smooth power-train.

in late 1990s got a volvo v70 wagon for a roundtrip from dc to indiana for same price as hertz midsize, perfect for family of four with two little kids.

I rented a late 80s tempo with a 4 cyl and 3 sp auto; i was stuck staying in livonia MI for two weeks on a business trip and it took me to the Ford Transportation Museum, to the movies (Forrest Gump) and to the beach on, I believe Lake Huron

Couldn't have asked for a more useful car.

I don't do much car rentals - if car share counts, I had a blast in a 2016 Chevy Volt. The rental car companies only gave me bleh cars, but I do recall driving between Portland and Salem in an rental Altima from Hertz, it smelled like melted crayons and babies but how did I escape not getting nailed by the Oregon Highway Patrol for going 70ish in a 55 I haven't a clue.

The only cars I've rented were earlier this year. Hertz gave me a Toyota Yaris. NO! It was their only car and I drove it straight to another location and got a Sonata Hybrid as a replacement.

There was no way I was going to drive that thing for 1 week/500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back