Motorcraft VC7 or VC5 for Ford Excursions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know why Motorcraft VC7 "gold coolant" is recommended for '02-'05 Excursion and the '00-'01 Excursions get the green coolant VC5. What changed between the model years that would require a change in coolant? Why isn't VC7 backwards engineered/approved for '00-'01 Excursions like Mercon V was for their transmissions?

If you were to completely flush the cooling system, you could run the older style coolant.

02 is just when ford switched on the gas superduty/excursion.

I'm speculating here, but I doubt anything major changed about the engine including the seals and gaskets. Further I'd say Ford just wanted to go to a longer life AF and G05/MC Gold HOAT filled the bill.

And while not back spec'd for the original green AF, I can think of no reason why MC Gold wouldn't work fine in those applications. Longer service life than original green, lower silicates and no worries about 2eha used in Dex and universal clones. I'd do a complete exchange if switching from OG to G05/MC Gold.

I need to change my radiator and I'm looking for the best coolant option. I will do a complete flush before adding new coolant. I just don't understand why ford changed from MC VC5 to MC VC7 after 2002 model year. I want to understand why and if I should switch to MC VC7 since my excursion is a 2000 and speced for MC VC5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back