2018 BMW K1600B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im kind of liking the look of this bike!
Just got the magazine today but I can see its already online.

$24K complete, out of the question for me as I am still good on my bike and almost zero to none dealers in this state.

Click the link for the review...
http://ridermagazine.com/2017/08/31/2018-bmw-k-1600-b-bagger-road-test-review/

P90241981_highRes_bmw-k-1600-b-11-2016.jpg

P90241982_highRes.jpg

Ok, the exhaust might be a little overdone ... :eek:)

Last edited:
BMW should try to stay looking like BMW.. not impersonating the $50k Harley interstate cruisers.

The exhaust is ugly, but the bike is nice looking.

I'm hooked on bikes, too many I want, not enough money to buy.

With Euro 4 emissions requirements, aesthetically oversized exhaust systems are becoming more common place.

If a Bagger style bike is what I wanted, this would be high on the list.

At least they toned down the front wheel and the wood since the concept.

That exhaust though... maybe Akrapovic can help.

Hate when any manufacturer patterns their bike's pipes after a cheerleader's megaphone. Those pipes should be red with a white stripe down the middle that reads Go West County High School Tigers !!!

Otherwise however, it looks like a good package except the screen may need to be taller.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
The exhaust is ugly, but the bike is nice looking.

I'm hooked on bikes, too many I want, not enough money to buy.

I kind of know the feeling, so many bikes and too little time ... I am blessed with a terrific wife who loves our bike and riding with me, only problem is she is in love with our current bike, I am too ... but ... but ... I need to see it in person for a look at the exhaust, yes, it looks large but I got to tell you, Im really liking this bike! *L*

Back to the exhaust, lets all keep in mind, this is an inline 6 cylinder engine. I suspect maybe the CATS are in the mufflers, dont know and maybe it will grow on me, it already is! *L*

(I have a feeling I will be taking a 2 hour trip someday by spring to see it)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
does it weigh less than 1000lbs?

Glad you asked!

If your click the link in my first post (the review) wet weight is only 770 LBS as tested and the model tested is the fully loaded with all options model at 24k, base model is only 20K.

In this world of WAY overweight bikes, that truly is light weight not that different from my current bike.
... and 7 gallon fuel tank too! 6 cylinder engine ...

2018 BMW K 1600 B Specs
Base Price: $19,995
Price as Tested: $24,390 (Premium and Touring packages, engine protection bars, floorboards)
Warranty: 3 yrs., 36,000 miles

ENGINE
Type: Liquid-cooled, transverse in-line six
Displacement: 1,649cc
Bore x Stroke: 72.0 x 67.5mm
Compression Ratio: 12.2:1
Valve Train: DOHC, 4 valves per cyl.
Valve Insp. Interval: Varies, computer monitored
Fuel Delivery: BMS-X EFI, 52mm throttle bodies x 6
Lubrication System: Dry sump, 4.75-qt. cap.
Transmission: 6-speed, hydraulically actuated wet clutch
Final Drive: Shaft, 2.75:1

ELECTRICAL
Ignition: BMS-X computer controlled
Charging Output: 700 watts max.
Battery: 12V 19AH

CHASSIS
Frame: Cast-aluminum-alloy twin-spar main frame w/ engine as stressed member & aluminum subframe; cast-aluminum Paralever single-sided swingarm
Wheelbase: 63.7 in.
Rake/Trail: 27.8 degrees/4.2 in.
Seat Height: 30.7 in.; optional low seat: 29.5 in.
Suspension, Front: BMW Duolever w/ Dynamic ESA, 4.5-in. travel
Rear: BMW Paralever w/ single shock & Dynamic ESA, 4.9-in. travel
Brakes, Front: Dual floating 320mm discs w/ opposed 4-piston calipers & ABS Pro
Rear: Single 320mm disc w/ 2-piston pin-slide caliper & ABS Pro
Wheels, Front: Cast, 3.50 x 17 in.
Rear: Cast, 6.00 x 17 in.
Tires, Front: 120/70-ZR17
Rear: 190/55-ZR17
Wet Weight: 770 lbs. (as tested)
Load Capacity: 465 lbs. (as tested)
GVWR: 1,235 lbs.

PERFORMANCE
Fuel Capacity: 7.0 gals., last 1.0 gal. warning light on
MPG: 89 PON min. (high/avg/low) 33.8/37.7/43.5
Estimated Range: 264 miles
Indicated RPM at 60 MPH: 2,750

Last edited:
It is quite difficult to package catalytic converters that are effective and low restriction without adding volume. It is not really possible to have low restriction quiet muffling without volume to store the pressure pulses. This is why you can easily add 25% power to a harley by replacing the much smaller exhaust and intake. Do the same to the beemer and you gain very little. Some cases you even lose power.

I like the looks of the bike. The bags can not dismount, as they have the turn signals, and brake lights in them. The drive by wire throttle is mapped very soft, so people not used to 160 horsepower do not crash. These things make the Beemer faithful unhappy, but probably do not matter to the cruiser crowd.

With an aftermarket exhaust at full throttle the six makes a heavenly sound. There is very little if any extra power, but well worth it for the sound. You have to hear it. Then you will want it. Honest. Like having you own F1 racer.

Warning, if you enjoy the power a lot, and you will, 3000 mile rear tire life is not unusual.

A good traffic lawyer on retainer is wise.

Rod

Last edited:
Im surrounded by 3 BMW dealers, all exactly a 2 hour ride. Not to bad, Im not looking for a new bike but I am going to check one out at some point by the spring, ... I feel like I am hooked already, maybe as a goal some day.
Ugh ... not happy to hear about rear tire life, been there and done that with metrics and spoiled by my current bike of over15 k on tires.

Last edited:
The tire life is a product of enjoying the abundant power.
banana2.gif

There are harder tires, Metlzer for example.

also there is the Darkside. Rather popular with the power cruizer crowd.

Google Darkside motorcycle. There are many who do.

This is an oil forum, not tire.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back