Your and You're ... Please Get it Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to stop using the possessive "Your" when you should be using the shortcut for You are, 'You're." Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Good grammar is a courtesy to the reader...

+1, though Ill admit that autocorrect (on phones especially) makes it rather hard sometimes.

Possessive "its" has no apostrophe.

There, I said it.

But really, my issue is the war on the verb "to be". Do we all really need to talk like we're from da 'hood? (I'll give a pass to anyone from Pittsburg; but then you also have to use "y'ins".)

It does make reading a bit easier. There, their, and they're is another set of words often used incorrectly.

Your and you're can be an easy grammar mistake especially when in a rush, 'imo'. I'm guilty of it from time to time. And frankly seems a rather minor one 'to me' when compared to often reading/seeing the word 'break' used for the word 'brake', even in thread topics on bitog. And then 'there's, their and they're'. That said, point taken.

Not just us good 'ole boys - I had a memo from a PhD stating that he would keep me appraised -
I'm not a parcel of real estate - but he did keep me apprised (of the relative progress)

Now short speak is another matter - (like how I wrote this
coffee2.gif
)

Far worse is the proliferation of 's mayhem. Mostly it's with plurals ("dish'es," etc.), but I've even seen things like "hi's."

Their hi's dish'es.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not just us good 'ole boys - I had a memo from a PhD stating that he would keep me appraised -
I'm not a parcel of real estate - but he did keep me apprised (of the relative progress)....

Proving the point in this case that PhD stands for Piled high and Deeper.
grin.gif

Most of us can pretty much "dope out" what a word or sentence means even if your grammatically incorrect with out being condasending....
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Your/you're bothers me for sure, but not nearly as much as people using random apostrophes to show plural nouns, especially in the same sentence!

"So do you like the Jets or the Gaint's? The Ravens or the Redskin's?"

Makes me want to choke somebody.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
People need to stop using the possessive "Your" when you should be using the shortcut for You are, 'You're." Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Now your really pushing it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Thanks teach. Slow day I guess.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Your absolutely right and its you're right to tell us!

No, your asking to get you're buttocks kicked complaining about gramer and spelen!!
;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back