What manufacturers recommend what oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off some of you know I work at Walmart TLE. When I came here there were putting rotella 5w-40 in VWs (which im sure is fine but not for warranty use). Dino oil in GMs. (Again im sure its fine but warranty instantly voided.) I brought it up to the superiors. Most of them knew about it and said thats what should be going into these cars(the right oil), but the service writers weren't doing there job. Most got a stern talking too. They started letting me do service writing and I really like talking to the customers and sharing my oil knowledge.

Gm obviously uses Dexos oils.

What does Ford use?

What about Chrysler/Dodge?

Other manufactures im leaving out?

I know cars that require 0w-20 automatically get a full synthetic since thats all we carry.

Im just trying to learn the oil requirments of each manufacture that way Dino oil isnt going into cars that require synthetic...

On a side note, you know how Valvoline and other oil companies do those Myths vs truths? Holy cow. I can see why they make those videos now.
I had a guy come in and I recommend some oil to him (quaker state maybe?) and he had Pennzoil used last. He was for sure that his car would blow up and seize to exist if I put something other than Pennzoil in there. I asked him why that was and he was told that if you go switching brands your engine will die early. This guy would have sworn on his life about that.
crazy2.gif
Maybe if you use the wrong stuff or a terrible oil.

A lady came in and I recommended her to use some synthetic Pennzoil since she drove a lot. She though her engine would start leaking (this was a 14 edge with 50K on the clock.) She had been using Motorcraft (Which is a great oil but pricey since we have to get it off the shelf). I had to promise her that it would do no harm and would not leak.

Perhaps the TLE service mangers should be doing a little reading on the subject, at least see what is recommended in the operator's manuals.
Most Fords get a factory recommendation of 5W-20 or 5W-30. It should be printed right on the specification sheet near the radiator.

Pretty much every OEM that we deal with in the west (not including Russian / Chinese / Indian / Arab cars here, they're all junk,) have their own specifications that sit on top of the industry ILSAC / API / ACEA / JASO specifications.

BMW - LL98/01/04/...
VW - 501/502/503/504/505.1/507/508/509
Porsche - A40
Ford - WS (there's alot)
Ferrari - Ferrari (Pennzoil / Shell only )
Chrysler - MS12633, (+ alot more)
Mercedes you get the picture

Japanese cars tend to only specify industry standard oils, or piggy back on others specs, though expect this to change in the future.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Perhaps the TLE service mangers should be doing a little reading on the subject, at least see what is recommended in the operator's manuals.
Most Fords get a factory recommendation of 5W-20 or 5W-30. It should be printed right on the specification sheet near the radiator.
Almost all domestics have the weight of oil on the cap. But doesnt Ford still use Dino oil? Sure we have every spec in a large book. But you know how hard it would be to go through every car and look it up? Most are just manufacture specific like VW 502. GM Dexos. Etc...

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
He was for sure that his car would blow up and seize to exist if I put something other than Pennzoil in there.

Malaprop Man strikes again.

malapropism.jpg

Old timers still swear that "Quaker Sludge" will blow up your engine. When you ask, it's because they had a buddy back in 1981 that swore it happened. Never mind it's all SOPUS oil now, and the same as Pennzoil.

A lady came in and I recommended her to use some synthetic Pennzoil since she drove a lot. She though her engine would start leaking (this was a 14 edge with 50K on the clock.) She had been using Motorcraft (Which is a great oil but pricey since we have to get it off the shelf). I had to promise her that it would do no harm and would not leak.

I agree with helping people choose the right oil, but I wouldn't be promising anyone anything. That might come back to bite you.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I agree with helping people choose the right oil, but I wouldn't be promising anyone anything. That might come back to bite you.

Agree. I put synthetic oil in a less than 2 year old car with less than 50K miles and the valve cover gaskets started leaking. Next oil change went back to conventional oil and it never leaked after that.

It can be a real concern.

The maintenance manual for my Altima recommends 0W20 but also states that conventional 5W30 can be used to maintain the warranty. By the way there is nothing on the oil cap.

Hyundai in the US recommends Quaker State
Non turbo - SM/GF-4
Turbo from 2015 forward - ACEA A5

I'd be more concerned about the quality of the filter than name brand oil, apart from matching the viscosity and type (gas/diesel).

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
To the best of my knowledge very few cars require synthetic oil so its hard to put conventional in a car where syn is required.

Using the word "required" can be semantics in relation to the manufacturer, vehicle or user. I only use synthetic in my DI car and I think most would say that turbo DI applications would be best served by a synthetic oil whether that's "required" by the manufacturer or not.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Almost all domestics have the weight of oil on the cap. But doesnt Ford still use Dino oil? Sure we have every spec in a large book. But you know how hard it would be to go through every car and look it up? Most are just manufacture specific like VW 502. GM Dexos. Etc...

I'm pretty sure all of the Ford Motorcraft oil is at least a semi-synthetic with some of it being a full synthetic.

The wife's 2015 Mazda CX-5 manual "recommends" Castrol Synthetic. Not sure if that's just a marketing thing. I've been running Mobil-1, and it seems to burn some. I might actually try it to see if it makes a difference.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
The wife's 2015 Mazda CX-5 manual "recommends" Castrol Synthetic. Not sure if that's just a marketing thing. I've been running Mobil-1, and it seems to burn some. I might actually try it to see if it makes a difference.

It is paid marketing. Castrol pays Mazda to endorse their oil. As far as the oil burning goes, you can try another brand to test the consumption. This assumes the engine is running normally.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

It is paid marketing. Castrol pays Mazda to endorse their oil. As far as the oil burning goes, you can try another brand to test the consumption. This assumes the engine is running normally.
There are a lot of brands castrol does that for. VW, BMW, i think I even seen it on a ford berfore? I know I have seen Ford Recommends BP Gas in the gas cap, which is Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back