Anyone running "synthetic" coated bullets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I found a pretty good deal on some Federal "Syntech" ammunition. Just curious if there are any users on here with positive or negative results...

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: khittner
So there is an actual "silver bullet" for long engine life?

"Federal" manufactures handgun ammunition...The term "bullets" is being used literally, not metaphorically.

I rented a Walther PPQ and the range makes you buy ammo from them when renting and this was the required ammo. It was $12.99 per 50. Vances said they are the cheapest seller of this ammo in Ohio. I had some left over for my personal 9MM. It shoots very, very clean. Every componment of the ammo is designed around being utmost clean. It has a tad less recoil than other 115 gr 9MM ammo I've shot. It is definitely target ammo. I suspect a range that requires this ammo doesn't need to clean the rental pistols between each rental use. No jams in my 200 rounds of experience with it.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted By: khittner
So there is an actual "silver bullet" for long engine life?

"Federal" manufactures handgun ammunition...The term "bullets" is being used literally, not metaphorically.

This is a very funny exchange.

Reloaders have been powder coating lead bullets for years. Federal just copied the concept. They even sell the loose bullets for loading now.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I suspect a range that requires this ammo doesn't need to clean the rental pistols between each rental use.

I don't know ANY range that does that. Regardless of what kind of ammo they use.

I'd like to see the bore after using a few hundred rounds of these. I bet some of the polymer stays in the rifling, at least in a traditionally rifled barrel. What's the best solvent for cleaning plastic out of your bore?

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
I'd like to see the bore after using a few hundred rounds of these. I bet some of the polymer stays in the rifling, at least in a traditionally rifled barrel. What's the best solvent for cleaning plastic out of your bore?
I think that is what the acetone in "Ed's Red" is for.

These sound a lot like the old Federal Nyclad ammo with a cleaner powder and primer.

Originally Posted By: billt460
What are the purpose of these? Does it have something to do with "lead contamination"?

"lead contamination" of what? I suspect since the interior is lead, contamination isn't the consideration... Its more the fact that there is some copper on a typical bullet that is worth some amount of money, and this is cheaper.

And personally, Id lean towards the use of this, over the copper washed over steel from Russian ammo, I think...

In terms of other purposes, there's a claim of 12% less friction. There are some reviews that confirm that the barrel stays cooler, though I don't know that any are "scientific".

In testing by the US military, steel jacketed bullets (copper washed or not) did not cause more barrel wear than traditional copper jacketed bullets. The more important factor for barrel wear, specifically throat, gas port, and muzzle erosion, is the type or propellant used. The propellant can make a significant difference in barrel life.

Has anyone ever seen the sintered IRON bullets that the Germans used in WWII when steel and cooper was in short supply? I bet these bullets were hard on the bore!! They are sintered iron, all the way through.

U4TpIrF.jpg

Mv0XVzr.jpg

In testing by the US military, steel jacketed bullets (copper washed or not) did not cause more barrel wear than traditional copper jacketed bullets. The more important factor for barrel wear, specifically throat, gas port, and muzzle erosion, is the type or propellant used. The propellant can make a significant difference in barrel life.

I get it that propellant, muzzle velocity and pressure play into it. But I have to wonder if the chrome-lined barrels they use mitigate it?

Regardless, it just seems logical to me that this would be as good if not better than chrome/steel/lead fouling, and perhaps also engage with rifling easier too. Seems like plastic residue is easier to deal with, using less aggressive solvents than copper/lead.

And I think copper has better uses elsewhere. Worth a shot IMO...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I get it that propellant, muzzle velocity and pressure play into it. But I have to wonder if the chrome-lined barrels they use mitigate it?

Regardless, it just seems logical to me that this would be as good if not better than chrome/steel/lead fouling, and perhaps also engage with rifling easier too. Seems like plastic residue is easier to deal with, using less aggressive solvents than copper/lead.

And I think copper has better uses elsewhere. Worth a shot IMO...

I don't think the US was using chrome lined barrels when Frankford Arsenal did the 30-06 test in the 40's. Garands if I recall were not chrome lined when originally manufactured.

Barrel wear is mostly due to ablation of the rifling from the powder, as opposed to traditional wear.

Reduction of friction tends to reduce chamber pressures, and per the laws of physics temperature in the throat area, reducing this effect...and velocity a bit as well.

I use(d) polymer coated lead in my .44Mag lever, and it still leads the microgrooves.

I have used a few hundred rounds of these now and they work great! Smooth cycling, accurate and reliable. I would guess they are easier on the barrel than brass or metallic jackets of any type. Certainly much easier to clean than non-jacketed lead bullets also.

I don't care what type of bullet you are firing, some of it is going to stay in the rifling until you clean it out. Any solvent that can break down copper and brass will break down plastic much easier.

I found my normal (traditional) cleaning routine of bore solvent, brass brushes and patches cleaned up all the plastic and regular firing residues from this ammo just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back