How to make fuel line flares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am about to replace my fuel lines by making my own stainless steel lines by bending exact copies of the old rusty ones. However I need a tool who can make this type of flare:

DSC03464.JPG

I am using 8mm (outside diameter, wall thickness 1mm) hydraulic stainless steel lines. Can anyone link me to a tool that is able to make this type of flare?

Lucas

I can't imagine such a tool available "over the counter". These appear to be made from special machines. There may be an off chance that a shop that fabricates hydraulic lines may help you.

There's a place near here that services the farm and ranching community. They make lines, do flaring and just about anything related to that kind of work. Find a place like that near you and ask for help.

Years ago I needed to replace some high-pressure lines for a ball mill with flares I did not recognize. One of the guys there handled it like he did exactly that every day of the week. I was really relieved. Just about everything related to that kind of work is built to some kind of standard.

This doesn't answer your question but you can buy the "last foot" of line with the required flares then use a compression fitting to join it to the rest of your line.

They're in or near the "help" section of your FLAPS for $15 or so.

You could get the flare on the end using the first stage of a brake pipe flare. The second flare could be made by using a plumbers crox tool, but that's pretty small for a crox tool, and steel pipe is too hard for them too.

Double bubble flare tool. Not like a standard brake line flare tool. A decent one is usually $3-400.

If you can't find a local auto shop that has one, try to find a shop that builds hydraulic lines for commercial equipment. They should be able to do that for you.

Uhhmn, Why stainless? Stuff is more difficult to work than steel. What is wrong with the existing lines? I have replaced many brake lines but rarely a fuel line. When I need to splice coolant hoses, or fuel lines, I use a hose barb. Or I use 2 clamps

Originally Posted By: andyd
Uhhmn, Why stainless? Stuff is more difficult to work than steel. What is wrong with the existing lines? I have replaced many brake lines but rarely a fuel line. When I need to splice coolant hoses, or fuel lines, I use a hose barb. Or I use 2 clamps

Yeah. Supper hard to work with. It'll be a real challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back