OK to use Purolator filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been sitting in my car about 2 1/2 year's it's the older kind with the yellow textured surface if I can remember.. L14460 I think off the top of my head.

Sounds like a Purolator Pure 1. I'd look inside if its rusty I'd toss it if it isn't I'd use it. Had my Toyota Corolla running on Pure 1's for over six years without a hitch. It's a good filter. I've just switched over to their new 10K filter on my last OCI. But I have a couple of those left in my stash and they'll get used. Five of them in fact to be precise.

Last edited:
Thats like asking "OK to smoke?".
Risky.
Do not use. They are famous for tearing.
Google tearolator or purolator oil filter tear

Originally Posted By: MikeB4rsk
Man now I'm having second thoughts.. I'm glad I did invest in a oil filter cutter however.

Well if you don't use it curious minds want to see what it really looks like inside.

Use it or cut it and post. Two things will happen if you cut and post. If not torn there will be some unhappy folks and if you find a tear there will be a lot of I told you so's. Fun either way.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Use it or cut it and post. Two things will happen if you cut and post. If not torn there will be some unhappy folks and if you find a tear there will be a lot of I told you so's. Fun either way.

Ain't that the truth.

Sure. For you. But not for me.
banana2.gif

Yup, oil filter Russian Roulette is a fun game to play with Tearolators.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... Yup, oil filter Russian Roulette is a fun game to play with Tearolators.
Except nobody will die, not even an engine.

smile.gif

I am using one on my engine right now. PL20195
I promise not to cut the filter media to gain my 15 minutes of fame.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: CR94
Except nobody will die, not even an engine.

Who really knows what goes on inside the engine when a media tear happens - each occurrence is a unique situation. When media tears it's also possible pieces of media can come loose, along with continuous unfiltered oil of course. Some engines might have suffered, but nobody will know because no motor actually "blew up", as far as this forum knows. Engines will still run Ok with some minor damage, and only a tear down would divulge any damage or not.

But still not a good enough reason for me personally to play "Tearolator Roulette". Others can play, and I'll jusr watch.
grin.gif

Who really knows what goes on inside the engine when a media tear happens - each occurrence is a unique situation. When media tears it's also possible pieces of media can come loose, along with continuous unfiltered oil of course. Some engines might have suffered, but nobody will know because no motor actually "blew up", as far as this forum knows. Engines will still run Ok with some minor damage, and only a tear down would divulge any damage or not.

But still not a good enough reason for me personally to play "Tearolator Roulette". Others can play, and I'll jusr watch.
grin.gif

So stop with the Tearolator roulette horse [censored].

You've spent nearly a decade perpetuating this myth.

No one has had a problem with Purolator damage except you in your REM dream state.

Your hypothetical damage scenario is not valid as filtration provided by even a damaged Purolator is sufficient to protect an engine.

So show me the [censored] proof or stop spreading this piece of FRAM marketing propaganda.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

grin.gif

No one has had a problem with Purolator damage except you in your REM dream state.

Your hypothetical damage scenario is not valid as filtration provided by even a damaged Purolator is sufficient to protect an engine.

So show me the [censored] proof or stop spreading this piece of FRAM marketing propaganda.

Who [bleeped] in your Wheates this morning and put you into personal attack mode?
lol.gif

How about you prove nothing whatsoever happened to every engine that had a torn Purolator on it. I see you'll never give up your fanboy status of failing junk - you must own stock in the compamy.

And exactly how is talking about torn media a "Fram marketing campaign", the word wasn't mentioned by me - you been drinking heavily tonight? If anything, it's a campaign to NOT use junk!

And you have no sense of time because Tearolators haven't been around for 10 years, more like about 3, which is about 2.9 years too long. Plus, I was one of the biggest advocates of Purolators until they started failing (go read my posts from 5 years ago), but sorry to say I don't do fanboy based on brand, but instead based on quality, reliability and performance - unlike blind fanboys.

grin.gif

Someone's upset.
21.gif

Nobody cares what you consider sufficient. Your [censored] standards are not ours. Not even Purolator agrees with you otherwise they wouldn't be marketing higher efficiency oil filters.

The title of pureoil.com: "Nothing Gets By Us. When it comes to protecting vehicles and drivers from dirt and debris, nothing gets by Purolator filters. Because nothing gets by our people."

Nothing? Well okay. Nobody wants filters that tear and filter oil "sufficiently" when most filters never have that problem. Go put that on the advertising for an oil filter and see what kind of reception you get.

grin.gif

35.gif
36.gif

Well this is a brand new built motor everything internal is new I looked in the filter yesterday I saw no rust I will be changing the oil within the first 15 min anyways.

Lets go over this again (for SilverC6 and anyone gullible enough to side with that garbage):

1. Purolators tear too often. Evidence is clear.
2. Holes in oil filters are bad.
3. There are many other brands to choose from, so why take the chance?

Any questions? I hope not. Its obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back