Part time job search woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I had a very good interview at tire, oil change shop. Totally amazed at miscommunication at the place.

I ask for Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and Sunday. I can do 4 hours day weekdays I ask and any hours weekend. Manager decides to; want to put me in a 6days week 11am to 6pm. Definitely not happening as I value my full time job.

Yes, this place I speak of is Wal Mart and it's no dam wonder the turnover rate is like over 60% with first guy that interviewed me and how totally lost he is

Rant over

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why Walmart has closed many of its automotive sites. They all have a lot of turn over. Sounds like he's trying to push you into a full time job to make up for his lack of employees.

You don't want to work at Walmart.

You could certainly get part time working at a parts counter. You'll be much cleaner and in air conditioning most of the time, too.

I feel employers should be upfront in a job post description of the hours they are wanting a prospective employee to work. Working 6 days a week 42 hours is nuts. I bet they would have you work 40 in reality by coming in late one day a week.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This is why Walmart has closed many of its automotive sites. They all have a lot of turn over. Sounds like he's trying to push you into a full time job to make up for his lack of employees.

Yeah, he obviously has no idea what "part time" really is as I'm already working like 59 hours PER WEEK and what "full time" is. He did pee and moan about how busy they are Saturday and a Sunday too; odd as I ASKED for those two days any hours.

Totally amazed to have "recommended" after interview then have him lie to store manager and say I asked for
Full time in beginning.

Originally Posted By: maximus

You could certainly get part time working at a parts counter. You'll be much cleaner and in air conditioning most of the time, too.

Today I applied at my local machine shop as helper/gopher. Better pay too so we shall see

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I feel employers should be upfront in a job post description of the hours they are wanting a prospective employee to work. Working 6 days a week 42 h
ours is nuts. I bet they would have you work 40 in reality by coming in late one day a week.

Well, it IS Wal Mart LOl!

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Totally amazed to have "recommended" after interview then have him lie to store manager and say I asked for
Full time in beginning.

This alone should set off bells and whistles all saying you don't really want to work for this guy.

I can't be a total p.o.'ed guy as member Fordbroncovwjetta told me about the job so I can at least thank him for the info about the job(wal mart)

Sorry it just wasn't meant to be fordbroncovwjetta

Last edited by a moderator:
With your work ethic and wanting to work more than your full time job, is your current shop too slow to give you extra work? Not sure if you are just an oil change and tire guy or what so no idea what kind of advice to give you..

Perhaps look into truck stops with lube centers..they work long hours and it takes time to grease and change oil in the big rigs.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
With your work ethic and wanting to work more than your full time job, is your current shop too slow to give you extra work? Not sure if you are just an oil change and tire guy or what so no idea what kind of advice to give you..

Perhaps look into truck stops with lube centers..they work long hours and it takes time to grease and change oil in the big rigs.

Current full time job has too many lazy SOB's that are "floaters"

I do my 11.5-12 hours there but can stop when I feel like it. Did this for 5years now straight and our last boss got fired for it since he let the "floaters" on night time do nothing.

I'm still looking around so we will see

Thanks guys
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: maximus

Today I applied at my local machine shop as helper/gopher. Better pay too so we shall see

That is how I got my start; I could read a tape measure so I ran the cut off saw, did sandblasting and deburring and part marking.

Was working for I think $6/hour (1988); places like that value people who 1) show up, 2) are good learners/workers. After about 6 months I mentioned Wendy's was paying more and they bumped me up to $8/hour. They showedd me how to run NC and CNC and had other shop people tutor me. They even offered to send me to the local state tech school.

A lot of entry level jobs out there can't be filled since people can't pass the pee test or don't have basic job skills.

Press on and succeed!

-T

Yes, this place I speak of is Wal Mart and it's no dam wonder the turnover rate is like over 60%

I'm guessing you would be in that 60%.
Several years ago, I had a buddy who needed a tire for a Chevrolet Chevette. (Okay, try not to laugh) He also needed this tire on a Sunday afternoon when nobody else was open.
I called in the tire size to WalMart, a 13" tire, and the tire manager told me that they had one on hand. I had double-checked on the size to make sure it was the right one. I drop the rim off and wait in the customer waiting area. A WalMart TLE employee, that I know who had worked there for close to 10 years, then comes in and tells me that the 13" is too small and that a 14" tire is too large. Knowing that I had told him the correct 13" size, I walk out to their shop (with the "tech" and the TLE manager closely behind me), and I see that the 14" tire that they had lying on the 13" rim was too large. Before they could do or say anything, I grab the 13" tire that they had lying there and install it with their tire machine. (I worked at a mom-and-pop tire store when I was right out of high school decades ago. I knew how to run it) I had the 13" tire on the rim and was ready to be seated with them both looking at me. The tech knew enough to put the clip-on chuck on the valve stem and air it up. Luckily. You'll pull your hair out working for a WM TLE.
My advice is to stay away from the WalMart TLE section.

Maybe the six straight days were so you could get the training done? When I looked at them, just admin stuff took 3 days. I would think they would prefer hammering out the OTJ training so you can get going. It may not be a complicated job, but I think it would be tough to get a good feel for it doing 4 hours at a time?

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Maybe the six straight days were so you could get the training done? When I looked at them, just admin stuff took 3 days. I would think they would prefer hammering out the OTJ training so you can get going. It may not be a complicated job, but I think it would be tough to get a good feel for it doing 4 hours at a time?

Obviously, 6days in a row is NOT part time

Oh well, it's now their loss

Good luck on the machine shop. That could open some opportunity for you.

I also second a parts store guy. You'll strive at any of the big 3.. NAPA seems questionable depending on your local store. (Oreilly has the best employee discount though. 10% above store cost.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back