Laser printer, fax, copier recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for something for Windows 7 computer. With cheap replacement toner. Rarely use fax. Mostly for making copies or printing (black and white). Thanks!

I've been quite happy with a Brother MFC-8890DW, but I don't think they make that any longer, though there are probably still lots of brand new units for sale here and there.

For low volume printing I'd replace it with something like a Brother MFCL2740DW (or MFCL27**** replacing asterisks with numbers and letters for the features vs price you need), or for higher volume printing, Brother MFC-L5700DW or -L5800DW -L5900DW etc.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Why do you need a Laser over say a much cheaper to operate Inkjet?

Replacing Canon MF4700n. Printed over 10,000 pages and cost of toner was less than $100. That is why. Laser is by far the cheapest to operate in my experience.

Don't you have that backwards? A laser is a higher upfront cost, though only by a little in some cases esp. when paying for scanner/fax too, but much much cheaper to operate.

I refill my B&W laser carts at least once with bulk toner which costs about $15 for 6,000 pages. That's 1/4th a cent per page (plus cost of paper).

However, I've had occasions were I just wanted to print off say 40 copies of something and have it done right away while an inkjet seemingly takes ages for even that low # of pages. It's also a factor when using it as a copy machine, that you can keep feeding in pages and it won't fall behind and make you wait in the middle of feeding them several times.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Replacing Canon MF4700n. Printed over 10,000 pages and cost of toner was less than $100. That is why. Laser is by far the cheapest to operate in my experience.

Yep. I agree 100%

Ink jet printers are sooooo slow
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave9

Don't you have that backwards? A laser is a higher upfront cost, though only by a little in some cases esp. when paying for scanner/fax too, but much much cheaper to operate.

I refill my B&W laser carts at least once with bulk toner which costs about $15 for 6,000 pages. That's 1/4th a cent per page (plus cost of paper).

However, I've had occasions were I just wanted to print off say 40 copies of something and have it done right away while an inkjet seemingly takes ages for even that low # of pages. It's also a factor when using it as a copy machine, that you can keep feeding in pages and it won't fall behind and make you wait in the middle of feeding them several times.

$38 for 1200 pages on the printer he shows from Amazon. But for just copier use it would make sense. I just have an inkjet I probably only copy a few dozen pages a year the rest is simple printing and some scanning!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Yep. I agree 100%

Ink jet printers are sooooo slow
frown.gif

She has very little patience. Once you drive a race car you do not want to go back to driving the Pinto. Plus, I have to service the thing. Pop in a toner every and you are on your way.

$38 for 1200 pages on the printer he shows from Amazon. But for just copier use it would make sense. I just have an inkjet I probably only copy a few dozen pages a year the rest is simple printing and some scanning!

The savings is buying the aftermarket toner. It was less than $10 for the Canon. I hear you. My printer is Epson Workforce. I may print a hundred copies a year if I am lucky. I has a better scanner and can do color. It also works well with Linux. The Canon was a pain to work with Linux. So, each has it's own place.

The higher up line of bothers also tend to have a better scanner, almost as good as a mid grade standalone scanner while the sub-$200 AIO's scanners are not too good for anything other than B&W text on paper, and yet that is all some people need it for.

One nice thing about some Brothers (at least mine, didn't research the models I mentioned) is the drum is separate from the cart so you only replace it when you need to. 3rd party generic drums can be dodgy low quality so if you don't want to bulk refill your toner, you can still buy generic carts without getting stuck with a generic or defective drum, just buy a new OEM Brother drum when you need it.

Last edited:
Dave9, what replacement toner has worked? I usually purchased off Ebay for the Canon.

For my MFC-8900DW the last place I bought from was aaatoner_com on eBay.

Wait. That might have been the 2nd to last time because it included a reset gear and only one bottle of toner for $11. I know I've bought a two pack since then but can't find the receipt file.

Anyway here's what they have for Brother now, referenced by cartridge part #:
http://stores.ebay.com/AAAToner/_i.html?_nkw=Brother&submit=Search

Lasers are only cheap if you want B&W only. Once you get to color the costs skyrocket.

If you shop the business aisle you can get cheap cost per page color inkjets. I have an Epson Workforce 4630 that has low cost per page. It's got a great scanner and copier. It's fast too, 20PPM. And it does color, which I refer to B&W. The Epson even has waterproof ink - I have a page I've used as a coaster with sweaty water glasses and no runs. My previous HP's and Canons were not like that.

But if you want a cheap B&W AIO Brother is your best bet.

The higher up line of bothers also tend to have a better scanner, almost as good as a mid grade standalone scanner while the sub-$200 AIO's scanners are not too good for anything other than B&W text on paper, and yet that is all some people need it for.

One nice thing about some Brothers (at least mine, didn't research the models I mentioned) is the drum is separate from the cart so you only replace it when you need to. 3rd party generic drums can be dodgy low quality so if you don't want to bulk refill your toner, you can still buy generic carts without getting stuck with a generic or defective drum, just buy a new OEM Brother drum when you need it.

Same with the Canon. Scanning was not that great. But, sufficient. I looks like toner is cheap on Ebay. The Model I am looking at gets mixed reviews on Amazon. Will not be using WiFi printing. It seems to be lacking in that regard. Thanks for the heads up on the drum.

I had a Brother Inkjet printer, while it was good, the cleaning of print heads uses too much ink. I got rid of it and got a Dell laser printer. Copy/Scan/Duplex Print. Plus it wa son sale for $89. I only regret not getting it sooner.

Dave9, what replacement toner has worked? I usually purchased off Ebay for the Canon.

For my MFC-8900DW the last place I bought from was aaatoner_com on eBay.

Wait. That might have been the 2nd to last time because it included a reset gear and only one bottle of toner for $11. I know I've bought a two pack since then but can't find the receipt file.

Anyway here's what they have for Brother now, referenced by cartridge part #:
http://stores.ebay.com/AAAToner/_i.html?_nkw=Brother&submit=Search

How hard was it to refill? I had to make a hole with a hot iron device to refill my HP Laserjet toner. Then it started leaking. Was messy/somewhat of a hassle.

Best deals tend to come and go. I usually get them for around $100-$150 when they're refurbished. Those models always vary.

Same with color, I've gotten a Dell color laser all in one for around $100. The toner that came with the printer was cheaper. I was somewhat tempted just to buy a second one just for the toner, but it's starter toner and barely worth it. Seems that mine always break after a few years or the replacement parts just make it cheaper to pick up a new one.

Looking at this on Amazon:

Brother Laser

It has duplex. The lady likes to print in volume.

We bought this model a few weeks ago. Very satisfied with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back