You guys who do quick turnaround OCI's 4 cleaning:

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Did you use a different oil, than usual?
2) How many miles were the OCI's?
3) How much time between OCI's?
4) Did your vehicle perform better after it you were done?

200 to 1000 mile quick drains, sometimes with new filter, sometimes just rerunning old one.

performance... subjective.

But there was definitely less sludge (actual chuncks or tar like substance) draining out and sitting on the oil catch pan top as the quick drains progressed.

You will also notice the valvetrain getting "brighter" as you monitor through the fill cap each change. I blame people running conventional to the 12 thousand mile mark due to the miserly OLM.

If I am trying to clean up a sludgy neglected engine, I typically would do 1k on a conventional, then 3k with a synthetic, then my usual oil and oci.

1. I used the cheapest oil I had in my stash
2. At least 1k no more than 3k miles
3. 3-6 months (I drive a lot for work)
4. in my head, yes it did.

1. I use a engine flush with super cheap oil and drain 0 miles
2. Run 1k miles
3. Run2.5k miles
4. Run for 2.5k miles + however many miles it takes to get to a 0 or 5 for thousands place
5. Run 5k miles OCI for the rest of the time

I change the filter each time

Last edited:
1: Dump oil from a hot engine:

2: let it drain for close to an hour. (drain oil cooler if applicable)

3: refill with cheap and nasty oil + fresh filter

4: Warm up engine, then add chemical flush

5: Follow chemical flush directions

7: Dump oil (and oil cooler), let it drain over night. (If excited pull the sump off and clean. Decided to do this to my Saab 9-5 and was well worth it, they have known issues. You can also pull the cam cover(s) and clean them up if needed (Did this to the Saab as well, it was bad...
frown.gif
)

8: Refill with your service oil and fresh filter. Turn engine over with the spark plugs removed and injector fuse pulled, so the 'dry engine' can build oil pressure without starting and compression.

9: once the oil light goes out, put the plugs and fuse back in, happy motoring

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
I do a quick change on any new to me (ie used) vehicle.

1) I use a different oil for pretty much every oil change. So does not really apply.
2) Depends of the vehicle. If it all looks good, 1,000 miles or so, then regular changes. If it looks bad, then maybe 500, 1000 then regular.
3) As long as it takes to get to the miles.
4) No better performance, but makes me feel better.

Once a year I do a cheep oil change at about 1,500 miles lately Formula Shell bought on sale at HD and I only dump it after a real long highway run. I don't know if it's worth it or not but my motor seems clean.

High mileage? Although it is scorned by some, I run some Auto-RX for two cycles. Then a short cycle ~2500 miles on conventional PYB or VWB, then to my normal oil.

Lower mileage - my last 2 used vehicles had less than 25000 miles on them - I went straight to my normal synthetic, and only 7500 miles the first change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back