Hercules tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that has Hercules tires on his truck it's there most current AT tire I can't recall the name of them but he says they are fantastic! I went to there web site and it looks like a nice line of quality tires from car to big truck. We don't have a dealer around here so I was wondering who makes there tires? And are they a quality tire?

I put Hercs on a travel trailer a while back. Quality look, balanced well. Outlasted the original Chinese Blowpops by a large margin. At least on the trailer side of their house, they came highly recommended and performed well. I'd buy them again.

made by cooper/mastercraft according to my local distributor. Should have nearly the same tread patterns.

My FIL has the Hercules AT on his Dodge diesel. Haven't ridden much in it, but they're wearing very evenly, though the tread is getting down there. They'll need replacing soon -- he speaks highly of them and will probably replace with the same. I think they come from Cooper.

That's the ONLY tire I put on my truck. Take lots of trips in it and pulls a boat all over Oklahoma. Never had a problem. My farmer friends are the ones that told me to get them, and they haven't been wrong.

Don't know about today but I bought a set of great Hercules tires around 2002, but they were made in China. Kinda when I formed my opinion that a Chinese made tires wasn't bad because this was a great long lasting easy to balance tire on a 3/4 ton pickup.

The Hercules Terra Trac A/T II is made in the USA by Cooper.

20703.jpg

Hercules can be made by Cooper in the US/China or by Deestone in Thailand.

I put on some Thai-made Hercules on a van that was on its last legs, didn't want to throw on the cheapest but mediocre Bridgestone EL400s Costco had. They handled surprisingly well for a 70-profile tire with a knock-off tread of a Conti DWS.

10 or 12 years ago I had some Hercules tires that were cheap and performed remarkably well. I'd buy them again. Not a top of the line tire but very good for the money.

Cooper, to some on here, is a 2nd rate tire company; and this makes their off off brand, 3rd tier. So is that 5th or 6th rate tires, do we multiply or add? Someone help me out.

Proud owner of 12 Cooper tires....

Just to clarify, Hercules is not a Cooper brand (like Mastercraft or Avon, for example). Hercules is a separate company and they source various tires from different manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Just to clarify, Hercules is not a Cooper brand (like Mastercraft or Avon, for example). Hercules is a separate company and they source various tires from different manufacturers.

According to wiki " Cooper Tire also manufactures Hercules branded tires in Findlay, Ohio" which is in your state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Tire_%26_Rubber_Company

the Hercules trailer tires i have on my 5er and flatbeds are the best trailer tire i've ever used. when truck need tires i'm really think about using them. it's a toss up, as i also want 255/80/17, and i don't think they offer that size yet.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Cooper, to some on here, is a 2nd rate tire company....

Agree, indeed they are.

Since my local Hercules dealer would not offer any adjustment on a tire that developed a sidewall bump I no longer use or recommend Hercules tires. The company will not stand behind their tire line.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Cooper, to some on here, is a 2nd rate tire company....

Agree, indeed they are.

Since my local Hercules dealer would not offer any adjustment on a tire that developed a sidewall bump I no longer use or recommend Hercules tires. The company will not stand behind their tire line.

Cressida,

I hope you understand I am not picking on you here, but your post has a number of fallacies that need to be corrected - ones that others share.

The first is that tire manufacturers don't have much control of what happens at the retail level. It isn't like a car dealer where there is a franchise that can be pulled. It's more like a wholesale market where tire dealers can pick and choose which brands of tires they carry - in whole or in part. The most a tire manufacturer can do is refuse to ship product DIRECTLY - but tire dealers can still buy from a wholesaler.

Further, many tire dealers don't do warranty adjustments as a matter of policy. I've never understood this, but some just don't.

Then there is the issue of brands. Some brands are owned by an independent group and have tires manufactured to their specs. In these cases, the tire manufacturer isn't usually involved in the warranty process at all, but some arrangements allow the owner of the brand to return tires to the tire manufacturer for credit. This can be a really complicated arrangement and most of the time the brand handles its own warranty just to keep things simple with the tire manufacturer completely in the dark about how this is handled.

But some brands are *in House* brands - and in these cases, the warranty may or may not be handled through the tire manufacturer. It depends on the terms of the arrangement.

And lastly is the issue to the adjustment itself. Many people feel that anytime they have a problem with a product, they should get some sort of compensation. Some warranties are written this way - BUT - most tire warranties are written to exclude road hazard damage - and there are many ways a tire can be damaged by outside forces, some not very obvious. It's these that cause most of the headaches and bad feelings.

I hope this helps explain things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
The Hercules Terra Trac A/T II is made in the USA by Cooper.

I have these tires on my company-supplied work truck and they've been a good tire. When it came time to purchase a new set, my local tire supplier wouldn't sell me any more of them, saying that they were junk. However, I really suspect that they no longer sell them and they were just trying to push another brand. I didn't get a new set because my employer is retiring the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back