BITOG trend I noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker love this site and the great info, but why do I constantly see the trend to veer off legitimate questions about top quality synthetic oils to the cheapest suitable dino when it doesn't have any relevance to what someone is asking? I respect the members suggestions to potentially save people money but once again the original question is often never answered.

For example I purchased a 07 Denali with 71k on the clock and a pretty good history of basic, run of the mill dealer dino oil changes including one less than 500 miles ago from when I purchased it. It had a no name jobber filter and unknown flavor or 5w30 in the sump. I dumped that out and installed some Castrol Magnetec and a Fram Ultra before driving back to Oregon in 110° heat hauling a boat I also bought. I then plan to dump out the Magnatec around 3,000 miles due to utilizing tank after tank of Berryman's, Gumout etc. to get a decent fuel system cleaning and help a bumby idle. (It worked). Anyways I plan to run some Schaeffers, Mobile1,Castrol etc. from now on, but I guarantee if I asked a legitimate question about which synthetic for my blasphemous short OCI's with a Fram Ultra I bet 90% of my replies would be to run whatever dino meets spec with lesser filter for my chosen maintenance regimen. How does that answer my original question regarding what I am after? What if I only want the very best and can afford to "waste" great oil because that's my plan? BTW I have already R&R'd the power steering fluid 4 times due to it being nasty, the trans with Castrol Dex VI via cooler line method, front and rear diff with Amsoil severe gear, and brake fluid 2x's to feel better about it. Will my BITOG career be short lived? I say this jokingly and do take the advice given here often but it would be nice if the forum could shift a little towards sticking to the info being requested otherwise we are doing a disservice.

Originally Posted By: OilyMember
Long time lurker love this site and the great info, but why do I constantly see the trend to veer off legitimate questions about top quality synthetic oils to the cheapest suitable dino when it doesn't have any relevance to what someone is asking? I respect the members suggestions to potentially save people money but once again the original question is often never answered.

I feel your pain, LOL.

Q: Should I do A or B?
A: Dozens answer C, D, EFGHIJKLMNOP...

I recommend Supertech dino and an orange can
laugh.gif

Sometimes it is better to search the archives than ask a question, especially if you already anticipate what some of the replies might be.

Another trend I noticed is former banned members that keep coming back over and over. Most of them being complete drama queens that can't get over themselves.
smile.gif

I disagree. I think most would say to extend your OCI's. I run 3k mile changes simply because I want to. Most brand syns are excellent and unlikely you will notice a difference. May as well not ask a question you already know the answer for. If you ask a question, you will get opinions, if everyone had to choose a or b, it wouldnt be that exciting.

Why bother R&R on PS fluid? Do a proper drain once and be done with it. If you are going to take such top shape of things or act like it then why not do them right?

How is my simple baster method wrong? It took that amount of times to get the fluid clean and some crud out to my liking and took 5 minutes tops each time with a pump. I plan to install a Magnefine when I install a trans cooler with remote filter. Kept it simple and got my desired results which was ridding the system of nasty, brown blackish fluid with bits of sediment. Now I can monitor clean fluid and will know of I have an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
laugh.gif

That right there is funny!!

laugh.gif

What I don't get is this:

"I have a 1999 Toyota Camry with 291,000 miles on it, should I use Redline or Amsoil?"

Seriously?
I think once you get over 150,000 on any car, just run what's inexpensive and still meets specs.

Alternatively, I see:
"I have a brand new XXXXX and I plan to trade it at 60,000.... should I use Redline or Amsoil?"

If you don't plan on keeping your car till the 300K mark like I do, why bother with expensive oil?

Long time lurker love this site and the great info, but why do I constantly see the trend to veer off legitimate questions about top quality synthetic oils to the cheapest suitable dino when it doesn't have any relevance to what someone is asking?

I see this more and more and it's not just veering off that specific topic.

It is called, "Not Focusing on the topic and not reading the entire question and/or not responding w.r.t. to the context of the question."

Last edited:
laugh.gif

I thought all this time you didn't like ST oil? :^)

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Another trend I noticed is former banned members that keep coming back over and over. Most of them being complete drama queens that can't get over themselves.
smile.gif

Banned?? I didn't even know you could get banned from a oil site. What does one do to get banned from a oil site??

Originally Posted By: car51
laugh.gif

I thought all this time you didn't like ST oil? :^)

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to keep around here haha
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
laugh.gif

What I don't get is this:

"I have a 1999 Toyota Camry with 291,000 miles on it, should I use Redline or Amsoil?"

Seriously?
I think once you get over 150,000 on any car, just run what's inexpensive and still meets specs.

Alternatively, I see:
"I have a brand new XXXXX and I plan to trade it at 60,000.... should I use Redline or Amsoil?"

If you don't plan on keeping your car till the 300K mark like I do, why bother with expensive oil?

No seriously run what got your there.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Long time lurker love this site and the great info, but why do I constantly see the trend to veer off legitimate questions about top quality synthetic oils to the cheapest suitable dino when it doesn't have any relevance to what someone is asking?

I see this more and more and it's not just veering off that specific topic.

It is called, "Not Focusing on the topic and not reading the entire question and/or not responding w.r.t. to the context of the question."

Selective hearing, er, selective reading?

I'm all for you using a quality synthetic. And it doesn't hurt that they typically cost less money (with roll backs/rebates) than their respective dino's. I do 3K-4K OCI's too now...with 50c-$2/qt synthetics.

Just curious OilyMember....Since I'm and Oregonian, and we live in a 'No Sales Tax' state.....did you have to pay sales tax in the the state you purchased your vehicle and boat?

Your truck was factory filled with Mobil 1 synthetic in 2007.

I hate to hear it endured cheap-o conventional lube shop service so I am so glad to see you're taking it back to what lubes it was spec'd for. Nowadays GM says to use a DEXOS oil so look for that certification at the very least with a full synthetic being the optimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back