0-20 & 10-30 oil mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what you guys thought about 8qts 0-20 pp and .75qts of 10-30 t5 mixed would look like as far as final number. I see people mixing around here and I did little top off with T5 since my oil change is 2k miles away finally.

My guess is somewhere around a 5-20? Since I have about 5k miles on this oil. I'm also getting blackstone UOA when time comes.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I doubt there will be any change.

Ya with my oil capacity I figure it's more like 1w-22 but who knows, people mix around here all time with no noticeable change other then additive package showing different in UOA. We'll see what blackstone says to my viscosity.

THERE ARE NO SAE GRADE NUMBERS BETWEEN 0W/5W/10W OR 20/30/40 its EITHER IN THE MARGIN OR NOT.

Then there came frickin 16 grade ! That was a mistake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
THERE ARE NO SAE GRADE NUMBERS BETWEEN 0W/5W/10W OR 20/30/40 its EITHER IN THE MARGIN OR NOT.

What about 8 Grade?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
What about 8 Grade?

What about 12?

Also, to OP, if you're topping off 8 quarts of oil that has been in an engine for a while, it's unlikely to still be a bona fide 0W-20, so adding a splash of 5W-30 to who-knows-what-it-is-now will give you... who knows what?!

Ya it was top off and had nothing other left laying around it be fine if anything it brings it back into viscosity spec. Appreciate the Reply's and input.

Normally what I see is 0w-20 pp is little low of viscosity spec range anyways during my UOA, still within spec but low so this should bring it right into middle-high side. We'll see I'll post it up when I pull the sample just for sake of speculation.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Well I know that I was just Using avg in sump and what I added to see theoretically how much it would effect the grade lol

Originally Posted By: Shata
Thanks that's helpful site for mixing!

Yes for viscosity only however, remember that any mixture is not necessarily going to meet any specification regardless of what you're starting with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back