What's a good oil for my old beast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Dodge Durango with a 5.9l V8 which I have not driven regularly in a long time (mostly been sitting in my yard until about 5 months ago getting old), but have recently gotten back on the road as my sort of daily/road trip truck to help keep miles off the pretty car. Anyway, it has just passed 200k miles. It generally runs really well and I'd like it to keep doing that. It's got new wires and plugs and water pump and brakes and shocks and well, like half the truck is new. It has 32" tires on stock 17" aluminum wheels so they're a bit heavier than the stock tires. Basically, I drive it 20 miles to work and back 4 days a week and it goes on vacations with me to the mountains or wherever, if we need the room or the trailer hitch. The route to work is sort of about 40-50 mph.. very few stops until I get downtown, then it's stoplight to stoplight for a couple miles. So... sort of all purpose miles, I guess. The owner's manual just says to use API Certified 10W-30... no extra letters or anything. It says I can use synthetic or not. So thanks for any thoughts you might have. I'm probably leaning towards just using Pennzoil Platinum, which is what I use in my car, but... figured I'd come here and see what you all think. Thanks!

Pennzoil Platinum is a fine choice if that's what you're leaning towards. Maybe try the high mileage.

I'd use whatever API certified 10W30 is on sale or value priced (your choice) and call it a day.

Great to hear the mileage you have on that. Is the transmission original? I have a 2003 RT 5.9l. Love it more than I would have ever thought. Bought mine used with 89,000 miles. Been using Pennzoil Platinum 10w 30 with 1 year OCIs. Great truck.

As far as I know, it is the original 46RE, yes. Transmission has been good for the 100k I've had it. Overall, the truck has been really good, actually. I drove it from about 2007 until about 2014 daily... then I parked it for awhile when I got a '12 Charger, which I later traded in for a new '16 Charger, but the old beastie was sitting there looking forlorn and I was racking up miles on the new car and I thought why not get the truck back on the road and let the car be the garage queen / fun / sunny day car? So I spent some time getting it back in order and been driving it almost daily for the past several months again. No issues at all and while it's not as fun as the Charger in the same way... it is still pretty cool.

I'm not a Dodge guy but I do have to say the Durango with the 5.9L is a beast. I know somebody who bought one that was ex forest service vehicle and he has tons of miles of off-roading beating on it, and that thing has plenty of power and never let him down. If it was mine I'd simply do whatever synthetic oil is on special whenever it's time for you to change your oil and use a quality filter like Wix or Mopar, and change it every 5-7K.

Awesome. Our Durango is our camping car we flat tow behind motorhome. I drive it once a week to work. Had a few repairs shortly after purchase...small evap leak, an O2 sensor, BCM computer module replaced, and front air conditioner blower and resister replaced. Other than that, truck is really great for us. Glad to see yours is going strong. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
I'm not a Dodge guy but I do have to say the Durango with the 5.9L is a beast. I know somebody who bought one that was ex forest service vehicle and he has tons of miles of off-roading beating on it, and that thing has plenty of power and never let him down. If it was mine I'd simply do whatever synthetic oil is on special whenever it's time for you to change your oil and use a quality filter like Wix or Mopar, and change it every 5-7K.

This!

That's a good looking truck right there!

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I'd use whatever API certified 10W30 is on sale or value priced (your choice) and call it a day.

+1

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Awesome. Our Durango is our camping car we flat tow behind motorhome. I drive it once a week to work. Had a few repairs shortly after purchase...small evap leak, an O2 sensor, BCM computer module replaced, and front air conditioner blower and resister replaced. Other than that, truck is really great for us. Glad to see yours is going strong. Thanks for sharing.

Super cool! We call ours "Adventure Truck" Handled the mountain twisties much better than any 4600 pound truck has a right to.

Back to the topic at hand... what actually is the difference in the "high mileage" oils? Should I use that, or is it just marketing hype?

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

+1

Also, more important on those is keeping the transmission fluid cool and clean. I'd do a drain and fill on the fluid and add a cooler if it doesn't already have one.

To answer that how is your oil consumption? If it is somewhat high, then high mileage might be the way to go. Mine isn't too bad so I have been sticking with Pennzoil Platinum 10w30.

Regarding the trans cooler, my mechanic mentioned getting one if one was towing a lot with the truck.

200K and it runs OK, I don't think I'd spend the $$ for premium synthetic ... I might go blend if there are weeps and seeps (?), like Maxlife red bottle. But honestly at that mileage, whatever you want to put in it will be good.

If it has a bit of noise at start-up, I'd run Delo 400 or Delvac HDEO and throw a can of BG-109 EPR in to clean the ring lands and lifters a bit. I know it says 10 minutes, but I been running full can full oil change intervals for like 30 years. Way before they changed the name (same product #).

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby (?), they have decent oils in their Traveler brand. If you are on the mailing list, you'll get the flyers for the sales
smile.gif

I'd definitely change the PCV valve and go through the vent hoses and vacuum hoses.

I'd also add an extra #4 soldered lug ground wire from the Bat (-) to the engine and onto the fire-wall at some convenient bolt location. It's getting a little long in the tooth and new grounds cure all sorts of minor issues with gauges, lights and the ECU
smile.gif

Time for a tranny service. New filter and new fluid
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Sock_Monkey
Back to the topic at hand... what actually is the difference in the "high mileage" oils? Should I use that, or is it just marketing hype?

I ran Rotella T-6 synthetic 5W-40 in a similar vehicle. That would be an excellent choice, but Rotella III 15W-40 would work just as well. I think Shell makes a 10W-30 in Rotella as well if that is your preference. I have a Dodge grand Caravan in storage with 240k on it. It has used Rotella 15W-40 for many years.

You should definitely service the tranny and install a oil cooler it it doesn't have one.

Really nice looking truck.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back