Clothes Washer - Discharge Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting in the new clothes washer on the basement floor. The discharge water hose goes up about 5 feet and drains out to PVC with U shape and then out to septic. Just wondering if I should raise the washer a bit so the hose is only 4 feet. Thinking about the pump in the washer and is it capable and how long it will last if it has to pump up five feet. Top load so can't put it up too high on blocks.

Thoughts/Opinions?

I would trim down the PVC pipe until it is close to flush with the top of the washer, or within 4 inches of the top of the trap.

If the trap is in the way, rework the the plumbing. PVC dran pipe is very easy to work with.

I pulled mine out of the septic drain and drilled a hole in the concrete wall and ran a EPDM hose to a drywell at the side yard. I'm on a crown of a hill so no "puddling" issues.

I don't want gray water in my septic. Especially bleach (which we rarely use).

Still have the Dishwasher drain going into the septic unfortunately.

Ideally, the washer/dryer should be on the same level as the bedrooms. Why carry laundry 2 floors? My wife pointed this out decades ago. Despite local ordinances, washer discharge is best kept separate from the septic system. Norwell, requires a separate cesspool for the washer. Ka-ching,but the best way to handle the lint and the soap

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I pulled mine out of the septic drain and drilled a hole in the concrete wall and ran a EPDM hose to a drywell at the side yard. I'm on a crown of a hill so no "puddling" issues.

I don't want gray water in my septic. Especially bleach (which we rarely use).

Still have the Dishwasher drain going into the septic unfortunately.

I agree totally. I have a total gray water system. Been here 20 years with no problems.

Originally Posted By: coopns
I am putting in the new clothes washer on the basement floor. The discharge water hose goes up about 5 feet and drains out to PVC with U shape and then out to septic. Just wondering if I should raise the washer a bit so the hose is only 4 feet.
The instruction book for your washer probably says 8 ft above the floor is the max.

They sell extension kits for the drain hose if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back