Power Service Fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fuel delivered in bulk to my yard and I have been adding Power Service Diesel Kleen to my tank and I'm wondering if it's worth the expense? I don't have a gallon meter on my pump currently so I really have no way of knowing whether I gain any mpg' s. Any experiences good or bad??
I burn it in my 2015 f-350 and in my 2014 case backhoe
Thanks

If you don't gain any MPG your fuel pump will gain some extra life! I've used it on both my diesel PU's after I gifted my 89 Ford 250 to a family member I said use this and change your fuel filter. He did neither and replaced the fuel pump 2 years later. I currently use it on my Duramax which is now 11 years old and knock on wood no fuel pump issues!

Originally Posted By: Cat12f
Thanks JJ! Did you use it in every tank or just on occasion?

I use it in every tank now. I used it in about every other tank in the Ford. I get the stuff in the Silver jug with Octane boost. My Duramax gets about 16 MPG in suburban driving involving no freeway driving. On the Freeway it will deliver from 20 to 21 MPG. Towing 14k pound fifth wheel 12.5 to 13.5 depending on topography.

Last edited:
PS has a small amount of cleaning capability, and some cetane improvement.
Better than nothing, but there are several better products out there for treating diesel.
I agree that a storage tank should have some kind of algae and slime control, especially if your ORD has a bio content.

Been awhile since i seen it but there were wear tests on Power Service and other additives. I think TCW-3 was the winner for best additive. I think Power Service actually hindered lubricity but its been awhile since i saw that test.

I know that my MB v6 diesel runs quieter almost immediately with it. I use it most every tank. Don't know if it helps mileage but if it helps that expensive fuel pump then great.

The test krismoriah72 references is over a decade old!I use Power Service at every fillup on my VW Passat TDI (2013). It idles more smoothly, and give slightly better mileage than the few times on vacation that I ran without it. It increase cetane, contains both detergents and a lubricant. I have read stories from rebuilders who have torn down diesel engines at almost 500,000 miles where Diesel Kleen was used and they say that the injectors are much cleaner. So a vote in the plus column from me.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Been awhile since i seen it but there were wear tests on Power Service and other additives. I think TCW-3 was the winner for best additive. I think Power Service actually hindered lubricity but its been awhile since i saw that test.

It came in 3rd place.

However, it is the easiest and cheapest of "bottle" additives.
I think bio-diesel came in 1st place for lubricity.
Many of the "bottle additives" on that test were very hard to obtain and expensive.

My Cummins is an older VE pump engine,
so I always add a little 2-stroke oil (and often some used motor oil) to the fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back