Looking for good mechanic in Austin, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone.

My daughter moved to Austin, TX about 15 months ago with her fiancee. I was on the phone with her today and interestingly enough, we started talking about car care, etc.. and I even brought up BITOG and we discussed how I'll be showing her how to change her own oil, change a tire, etc.. while I'm visiting her in January, etc.. We also ended up talking about where she and the fiancee take their cars for work/maintenance right now - A Firestone location in Austin - and how she always seems to leave there thinking they are trying to charge her for extra stuff, suggest work she doesn't need, etc..

She also brought up how her fiancee's Impreza had an A/C problem, and they tried to quote him almost $2000 for work, which amounted to a compressor clutch and their suggestion that he get the expansion valve and condensor replaced "because of damage"... I can't imagine what kind of "damage" would occur to those as a result of the clutch starting to fail.

.. anyways, I said I'd ask on here to see if anyone could recommend a trustworthy, reliable, capable, affordable mechanic or shop in her area. She lives in Austin, on the West side, near the 360..

Any advice?

Anytime I go to a tire type shop for anything I always come out with a 1k+ repair quote....the last time I went in there with my lexus and I was quoted 3500...more than I paid for the car!

Wish I could help with a mechanic there, moving to Fort Worth TX in a few days and will need to find someone myself there :p

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
her fiancee.

Time to grab your double barrel,have a come to Jesus meeting with this individual,and turn this guy into a man. It's his job to take care of your daughter and her car.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
her fiancee.

Time to grab your double barrel,have a come to Jesus meeting with this individual,and turn this guy into a man. It's his job to take care of your daughter and her car.
11.gif

... well that seems unnecessarily extreme.

her fiancee.

11.gif

Well that will find her a good mechanic.... not.

Claud.

her fiancee.

11.gif

... well that seems unnecessarily extreme.

Double barrel? What is this 1892? Pump action or semi auto.

Good evening everyone.

My daughter moved to Austin, TX about 15 months ago with her fiancee. I was on the phone with her today and interestingly enough, we started talking about car care, etc.. and I even brought up BITOG and we discussed how I'll be showing her how to change her own oil, change a tire, etc.. while I'm visiting her in January, etc.. We also ended up talking about where she and the fiancee take their cars for work/maintenance right now - A Firestone location in Austin - and how she always seems to leave there thinking they are trying to charge her for extra stuff, suggest work she doesn't need, etc..

She also brought up how her fiancee's Impreza had an A/C problem, and they tried to quote him almost $2000 for work, which amounted to a compressor clutch and their suggestion that he get the expansion valve and condensor replaced "because of damage"... I can't imagine what kind of "damage" would occur to those as a result of the clutch starting to fail.

.. anyways, I said I'd ask on here to see if anyone could recommend a trustworthy, reliable, capable, affordable mechanic or shop in her area. She lives in Austin, on the West side, near the 360..

Any advice?

Most big chain repair places are looking to rip off people. Welcome to corp America. Maximum profits, minimal effort.

I couldn't tell you how many places I've caught trying to rip me off. Knowledge is the only thing which can save you. Last year, I bought new tires (tires, alignment, warranty, tpms, etc,) for my wife's Buick at Pep Boys; prepaid online and set the apt. All she had to get there. They tried to tell her she need new $400 "tire brackets." She called me in a panic saying she didn't bring her wallet. I got desk guy on the phone and politely asked that FaceTime with me and show me this tire bracket.... Magically, they were mistaken and no repair was needed. Funny, that.

Good evening everyone.

Any advice?

I recommend a non-franchised shop. Here are two good ones in north Austin.
Dave’s Ultimate Automotive
Friendly's Auto Repair

Last edited:
her fiancee.

11.gif

What decade are you stuck in?

There's a guy that lives in my apartment complex who works as a mechanic. Admittedly I've yet to have my car go in for maintenance, I'll be using him when my clutch finally goes out. Their shop is in Round Rock, just North of Austin by a few miles.

Marioshop
512-255-2022

Maye want to try it out.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Scotty Kilmer? If you can find him.

No it's not a joke he's actually a very reputable mechanic in my book.

Does he actually work in a proper shop? All the videos I have seen of him, are done in the driveway of a residential home.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Does he actually work in a proper shop? All the videos I have seen of him, are done in the driveway of a residential home.

Scotty works from home in Houston, TX.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Scotty works from home in Houston, TX.

As a working car mechanic or just for his youtube video production?

Google surfing his background is a mixed bag, outside of being a radio personality on the subject of cars and vehicle maintenance, finding out where his formal education or real world work experience came from is a black hole.

Honestly, I have never really found anything of his Youtube videos to be of actual value or educational that I did not already know. The guy never deep dives anything I have seen and seems to be 90% quirky personality with a few tidbits of common knowledge already known by most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Scotty Kilmer is a hack, honestly. I wouldn't let him touch any vehicle of mine.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
her fiancee.

11.gif

It's a man's job to take care of his girl,to keep her safe,to provide for her,etc. I would walk to the ends of the earth for mine. And if I had a daughter,you can bet I'd have that "talk" with any guy that came around. Yes,I'd put the fear of God in him and if he ever hurt her or failed to provide for her,my face would be the last and final thing he'd ever see.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
her fiancee.

11.gif

It's a man's job to take care of his girl,to keep her safe,to provide for her,etc. I would walk to the ends of the earth for mine. And if I had a daughter,you can bet I'd have that "talk" with any guy that came around. Yes,I'd put the fear of God in him and if he ever hurt her or failed to provide for her,my face would be the last and final thing he'd ever see.

I think you missed something in my initial post:

Quote:

If you ever met my daughter, you'd understand why she doesn't need anyone to fight her battles for her. She's very independent, but asked me for a little advice, since I'm fairly mechanically literate, and older/more experienced.

Also, not that it matters, but I have no concerns about him. He asked me for permission to marry her well before he asked her.

It's a man's job to take care of his girl,to keep her safe,to provide for her,etc.

While I agree with this, it has nothing to do with DIY'ing every repair on her car.

My dad knows very little about cars, but I couldn't ask for a better family provider growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back