Trans shift quality change after filter install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently added a magnefine inline filter to 2010 Mazda 6 2.5L 5 A/T FNR5 transmission. Right away, on cold mornings 1 to 2 to 3 shift smoothed out significantly as it is normally when warm. Trans fluid is changed regularly.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

What are you suggesting? That there were contaminants in the ATF which caused poor shifting and the zmagnefine immediately removed them?

Wouldn't it require some time for the ATF to have been fully cycled through the Magnefine?

Is it possible something else accounted for this immediate improvement?

I am pretty sure ATF would cycle fully through the filter in a mater of minutes....if not a few times over....

I installed a Magnafine filter on my sienna's transmission and I haven't noticed any difference like you are talking about, I did a full flush as well and didn't honestly notice any improvements.

I also have installed a trans cooler on my truck and switched to a full synthetic amsoil fluid and other than warm fuzzy feeling inside I also don't notice any difference.

IIRC when I first put a filter on my 2004 Vic I noticed the same thing, that the shifts got smoother after the filter. I suspect the particulate is increasing the fluids native coefficient of friction.

I don't think it would take very long to filter all the fluid. IF the cooler flow rate is 2GPM and there is 3 gallons in the trans, you would run everything through in about a minute and a half.
Well, there is fluid trapped in areas of the valve body and such that would require going through all the gears, but say 90% of the fluid would be be run through the filter in just a few minutes of idling.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
IIRC when I first put a filter on my 2004 Vic I noticed the same thing, that the shifts got smoother after the filter. I suspect the particulate is increasing the fluids native coefficient of friction.

I don't think it would take very long to filter all the fluid. IF the cooler flow rate is 2GPM and there is 3 gallons in the trans, you would run everything through in about a minute and a half.
Well, there is fluid trapped in areas of the valve body and such that would require going through all the gears, but say 90% of the fluid would be be run through the filter in just a few minutes of idling.

I think you are exaggerating the flow rate.
Besides what is the efficiency of the Magnefine? I think the paper element may he 10-micron.
Your drainplug also likely has a magnet which would have been pulling metallics out of your fluid this entire time.
If you have that much particulate matter in your ATF then you should be able to find quite a bit when you remove it.
Especially if your AT is generating that much particulate. How many miles on this fluid?

I think your imagination is getting the best of you.

How many miles on the transmission? Would it be possible that the old filter was full or almost full of contaminants? That's my guess up front.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Besides what is the efficiency of the Magnefine? I think the paper element may he 10-micron.
Your drainplug also likely has a magnet which would have been pulling metallics out of your fluid this entire time.
If you have that much particulate matter in your ATF then you should be able to find quite a bit when you remove it.
Especially if your AT is generating that much particulate. How many miles on this fluid?

Have you ever flushed a transmission? While it might take 15-20 minutes to do, to get all the old fluid out takes no time when starting the car and turning it off. It cycles the majority of the fluid in maybe a minute of run time. I agree it might take quite a few passes to filter the fluid well, but the flow rate is quite fast.

L
Originally Posted By: TheKracken

Have you ever flushed a transmission? While it might take 15-20 minutes to do, to get all the old fluid out takes no time when starting the car and turning it off. It cycles the majority of the fluid in maybe a minute of run time. I agree it might take quite a few passes to filter the fluid well, but the flow rate is quite fast.

The OP said the improvement was "Right Away".

I am simply saying that there are multiple reasons why "right away" is not very likely by the single addition of a Magnefine.

if you want to focus on how quickly all the ATF gets cycled through the system then thats great. Some hard numbers would be useful to prove your point. We could then use that info combined with the paremeters of theTrans Bypass system of your vehicle and input that against the efficiency of the paper element in the Magnefine flilter. Some of the heavier particulates are not going to be in suspension and will have settled to the bottom of the pan and much of the metallic will have already been captured by the drain plug magnet. That means there was aheavy enough concentration of non-ferrous devris to make an immediate noticeable difference. If so then I would think its overdue for a flush or the transmission might be experiencing excessive wear.

Although I have never experienced what the OP describes maybe he is right...then again maybe some of it is "the freshly waxed car runs better" phenomenom.

TBH the filter I installed on that car was a Racor, 8 micron absolute efficiency. It softened the shifts enough that I bumped up the trans shift pressures in the tune 5-10% shortly after I put it on (I hate sloppy soft shifts)
Thinking at the chart I saw (That I can't find) 2GPM was the max while driving, however at idle its not as low as you are thinking. I found some info about tranmission flush machine procedures and the chart was .5-1.6GPM at idle depending on line type and temperature.

I don't know what OP meant by "Right away" if he idled it or put it on and drove it, or maybe he only noticed it the next day after a test drive.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have clarified "right away" as in next morning.

I changed the filter in the evening after I got home from work, checked for leaks, went for for a short test drive and did not notice any difference as the trans was still hot. Drove back, checked for leaks and parked for the night. It was next morning that I noticed cold shifts no longer had shift shocks, as smooth as it is when warm.

I do full trans flushes myself using the cooler line ever 40k miles. Last time was about 8k miles ago and the old fluid was still red. So I do believe suspended clutch pack wear particles altered the fluid properties.

Last edited:
Likely due to the new fluid. Can't see how the addition could make an immediate improvement like that

Thanks for the additional details from everyone.

Now to explore your topic from a different angle--Magnefine (always Australian made) vs Raybestos vs other China knock-offs. My Magnefines were rated at 20,000 Kms but my Raybestos is rated at 10,000-mile. This new price point cost averaged out over the life of the ATF makes me consider no longer continuing this practice.

Also, I see the Magnefine website indicates they have switched housings to a metal canister which cannot be opened like the old threaded black plastic type material.

Thanks for the additional details from everyone.

Now to explore your topic from a different angle--Magnefine (always Australian made) vs Raybestos vs other China knock-offs. My Magnefines were rated at 20,000 Kms but my Raybestos is rated at 10,000-mile. This new price point cost averaged out over the life of the ATF makes me consider no longer continuing this practice.

Also, I see the Magnefine website indicates they have switched housings to a metal canister which cannot be opened like the old threaded black plastic type material.

Thats actually a good thing. I was switching away from them because they seep at the threads and make a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back