Expensive Insurance Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Dec. 2014 I ran over a stop sign. Call it daydreaming, not paying attention, whatever, I simply came through a wooded area on an unfamiliar 55mph rural road and saw the stop sign too late. No cell phone involved, I assure you. I was approaching a major highway with cars potentially crossing at 65mph. Rather than run through the intersection unimpeded, I locked 'em up and tried to skid to where I was parallel with the highway, as to turn onto the shoulder/turn lane, in an effort to avoid getting t-boned by high speed traffic. That's not an easy maneuver in a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, but I was partly successful in that I'm still alive, however I did mow over the stop sign in the process.

Some guy stopped with me to look at the sign and offered to call it in. I accepted. Additionally, while on-site flagging traffic, I called the sheriff, which sent me to an automated system, then to another person, then to another who stated it wasn't their jurisdiction, then gave me the number to the state troopers. That caused about a 20 minute delay total (literally) before I could get through to someone who could take the report, however they'd already received it as I suspected. While I was on the phone with that person, they told me there was someone one the way and that I could leave if I wanted. Against my better judgement, I did that only to learn via a phone call from my insurance company a week or two later (I filed a claim for stop sign and damage to my vehicle) that there was an accident at that intersection shortly after the event.

Two parties were filing suit against me and each other, and speaking with the insurance company attorney, she assured me I had nothing to worry about and blame would likely go to one of the other drivers, as they were driving with a suspended license, and crossed into the intersection, causing the accident while intoxicated. She suggested that Colorado law does not require a citizen to flag traffic as long as they report the downed sign (even though I did until I was told I could leave.)

Long story short, I go to renew my insurance the other day and there's a $120k claim on my report. I immediately get a letter of experience from my ins. company at the time, and they closed the claim, settling for $120k. Nobody notified me, the last thing I heard is "nothing to worry about." This was approx 1.5 years ago that I last communicated with that attorney, it seems to have been settled recently. Any requirement for my participation and/or notification?

Not looking for legal advice (I'll talk with my own attorney about it,) just looking opinions, thoughts on the matter, or similar experience from others. Also, how long does such a claim show up on reports ins. companies use for rating, if anyone knows. The renewal for my current ins. company hasn't gone up, I was just out looking for quotes when I discovered this.

If I read this correct, you mowed over a stop sign and are getting pegged for an accident that happened at a later time due to the missing sign?

That's crazy!

Sometimes ridiculous stuff can pop up later.

My step-mom took her small dog to the vet and it bit the vet-tech on the lip while she was sticking a thermometer in it's butt. The vet's insurance paid for her medical bills and she ended up with a small scar on her lip.

She tried going after my dad's homeowner's insurance for $500k, and State Farm told my dad there was no way she was getting that. They ended up dropping my dad and he got a new insurance policy, State Farm called back a few weeks later begging for his business again saying they didn't mean to drop him.

A few years later he finds out they settled for $50k.

... I guess the question is this:

If you had not run over the stop sign, and thus rendered it not visible, would the accident still have occurred? Did the accident occur because one party was not aware that they had to stop?

Perhaps they're suing you because they believe that your actions caused conditions that lead to the accident.

.....whoah, hang on. This is just like that one episode of "Thirteen Reasons Why"

Apparently whoever you talked to at the State Trooper office didn't know the possible level of danger with a stop sign missing. I'd be a bit perturbed too if a stop sign was missing that caused me to be involved in an accident. The parties involved should have tried to sue the State Trooper department for inadequately controlling the situation.

And the winners from all this nonsense.....the lawyers!.
Your premiums are paying their salaries, and they seem to be demonstrably incapable of doing their job properly.
No wonder many politicians come from a law background.

Claud.

How did the other party find out it was you? Is that legal for the troopers to give out that info? Something is not right here.

Originally Posted By: Claud
And the winners from all this nonsense.....the lawyers!.
Your premiums are paying their salaries, and they seem to be demonstrably incapable of doing their job properly.
No wonder many politicians come from a law background.

Claud.
So a lawyer knocked down the sign?

My head is spinning. You did so many things wrong. Like turning in a claim to your insurance...why would you do that for such a trivial amount???

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
... I guess the question is this:

If you had not run over the stop sign, and thus rendered it not visible, would the accident still have occurred? Did the accident occur because one party was not aware that they had to stop?

Perhaps they're suing you because they believe that your actions caused conditions that lead to the accident.

.....whoah, hang on. This is just like that one episode of "Thirteen Reasons Why"

^^^^^This. I either would have stayed on site until the PD arrived or found a way to make the sign
visible before I left.

Around here if a stop sign is knocked down, a law enforcement deputy controls traffic at the intersection until public works get there to put the sign back up. And if its overnight or 4AM, then the on-call public works person gets out of bed and goes and reinstalls the sign into the ground.

Sounds like law enforcement and/or the county dropped the ball on this one.

i am not an attorney , but i know sometimes it cheaper to shell out the money than go to court. they may have just settled the claim ,but not admit fault. i have a relative who is an attorney and she says 75-80% of them get settled before they to court.

Originally Posted By: Al
My head is spinning. You did so many things wrong. Like turning in a claim to your insurance...why would you do that for such a trivial amount???

Run over a stop sign at near 30mph, let me know how trivial the damage is. Sure, the stop sign cost a whopping $175, but the vehicle sustained $4.5k in damage. Some I questioned and sure I could have fixed it myself if I had the time, but i happily let the insurance company write me that check. My insurance is still reasonable, I would make the claim again in similar circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

My step-mom took her small dog to the vet and it bit the vet-tech on the lip while she was sticking a thermometer in it's butt. The vet's insurance paid for her medical bills and she ended up with a small scar on her lip.

lol.gif

You did your due diligence in calling the cops but you also have deep pockets.

Your insurance should have argued that an intersection lacking signs should be treated as a 4 way stop or however your state describes it should be done.

They should also have been in touch with you slightly more regarding the proceedings of the accident.

120k is mostly medical bills, rehab, inability or unwillingness to work, etc.

I wonder how many other parties in this wreck have your brand of insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back