2004 Volvo S40 Turbo opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion? Keep shopping. Those S40's were the (sick) lovechild of Volvo and Mitsubishi. They're assembled poorly and have none of the redeeming qualities of real Swedish cars. I say this as an absolute lover of Swedish cars.

Keep searching.

Very low miles! This car isn't known to have many issues. I would pull the trigger. The only issue i know of is...

Leaking turbo oil return line at the o-ring where it enters the block. It's also covered on the VolvoForums.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I would pull the trigger.

He's been asking what car to buy since 2010.
lol.gif

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...urn#Post2079156

Plus look at all the recent threads he's created, mostly all about what car to buy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: wemay
I would pull the trigger.

He's been asking what car to buy since 2010.
lol.gif

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...urn#Post2079156

Plus look at all the recent threads he's created, mostly all about what car to buy.

does not true either

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4315227/Re:_Frustrate_with_a_Ford_Fusi#Post4315227

I've always been a fan of those cars, especially the V40 wagon version. However, they are probably not the most reliable cars out there.

And there are so many better cars you could get for $6000! You could probably get a TSX for about the same price. All the luxury and prestige, plus legendary Honda reliability.

If you want something with a little luxury, get a TSX, G35, or IS300.

If you want a basic economy car, get an Echo or Yaris (or a Scion xA or xB)

What specific things are you looking for in your next car? And what is your budget?

The new 2004 and up has some Mazda3 and Ford Focus in it. If you like the car probably just a Mazda3 with the big engine would provide 90 of the thrills with 20% of the headaches.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
My opinion? Keep shopping. Those S40's were the (sick) lovechild of Volvo and Mitsubishi. They're assembled poorly and have none of the redeeming qualities of real Swedish cars. I say this as an absolute lover of Swedish cars.

Keep searching.

+1

Possibly one of the worst Volvos ever produced...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The new 2004 and up has some Mazda3 and Ford Focus in it. If you like the car probably just a Mazda3 with the big engine would provide 90 of the thrills with 20% of the headaches.

01.gif

The S40/V50 T5 is basically an Mk2 Focus ST. And LL Cool J advertised it, so plenty of street cred
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: 14Accent

Keep searching.

+1

Possibly one of the worst Volvos ever produced...

shocked.gif

Coming from Astro the Volvo lover, I am shocked!

While it's true that I am a Volvo fan, those early S40s were overpriced pieces of junk. They had few of the characteristics of the rest of the line. There are much better choices.

The example from the OP is exceptionally low mileage for the year. If he likes it, I wouldn't discourage him.

But, to be very clear OP: Volvos are well above average for durability, but only average for reliability.

The new model V50 is a nice car (rented one) and drives well, though I don't care for the poor rear visibility.

Last edited:
While it's true that I am a Volvo fan, those early S40s were overpriced pieces of junk. They had few of the characteristics of the rest of the line. There are much better choices.

The example from the OP is exceptionally low mileage for the year. If he likes it, I wouldn't discourage him.

But, to be very clear OP: Volvos are well above average for durability, but only average for reliability.

The new model V50 is a nice car (rented one) and drives well, though I don't care for the poor rear visibility.

If is not going to last at least 150 000 miles without any major repairs, i pass on that one

Originally Posted By: sirgerman

If is not going to last at least 150 000 miles without any major repairs, i pass on that one

So, as one of your search criteria, you expect a 10 year old used car to last another 150,000 miles without repair?

Yeah, well, good luck with that...

Last edited:
My 2 Saturn last longer than 150000, only replaced radiator, starter, and alternator that pretty good, the engine still ruining, I sold my wife saturn at 180000 miles, and the reason was the ac broke down

Originally Posted By: sirgerman

So, as one of your search criteria, you expect a 10 year old used car to last another 150,000 miles without repair?

Yeah, well, good luck with that...

I meant when it reaches 150000 miles

How would you define "durability" and "reliability"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back