Flow Rate and Oil Cooler?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an interesting thought on another forum about filters that increase the flow rate possibly effecting oil temp. The thought was the oil flowing faster through a better filter causing oil temp to increase on vehicles with an oil cooler due to not enough dwell time in the oil cooler? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, it kind of makes sense to me.

I don't think it makes a lot of difference. If the flow rate increases it will result in a larger quantity of oil being cooled less per volume unit. If the flow rate decreases it will result in a smaller quantity of oil being cooled more per volume unit. When the cooled oil is mixed with that remaining in the crankcase it should be close to a wash.

As long as the oil pump is not in pressure relief, which is 99+% of the time, all the oil volume coming out the pump goes through the filter and the engine. So the filter therefore has no effect on flow to the engine in this case of pump not in relief.

The guys on the other forum sound like they don't understand positive displacement oil pumps and how oiling systems work.

Oil filters will, generally, flow far more than the engine pump will deliver. There is a flow relationship between rpm and pressure for a positive displacement pump system such as nearly all vehicles have. That is augmented by the pump relief at times, as Zee mentioned.

Anyone who believes that a traditional FF oil filter is the metering device for lube flow is NOT a credible source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back