Any experience with this tire brand ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for new rubber for my 92 Explorer 4X4. Have Bridgestone Duellers on them for the last 10+ years. Tires still have some tread, but ozone rot is apparent. It's not getting the long daily driving and trips it did 20+ yrs ago - about 2/3 on road, 1/3 off road - no rocks or mud bogging, just some primitive roads (to put it politely)to my son's place and hunting camps.

Don't want to dump a ton of money into tires, and I don't know how much longer I'll have the vehicle. Was at my local Good-Year place looking at the Wrangler and saw an 'economy' line of SUV tires that look like real dirt road & snow grippers. The brand is Achilles, and the model is the Desert Hawk A/T for @ $20, per tire less than the Goodyear. I'm always leery of bargain brands that I've never heard of. My gut tells me "go for the Goodyear", but I'm also curious about this other brand . . . after all, at one time Samsung was cheap junk, now they're one of the premier phone makers - who knew ?

http://www.achillestireusa.com/tires/suv/desert-hawk-at

I had not heard of this brand, and figured they were Chinese knock offs of Chinese [censored]. Turns out they're from Indonesia, and the company seems to have had startup assistance from both Continental and Pirelli

Anyone had any experience with these ?

Thanks in advance.

Buy something from discount tire, whatever you buy there they will stand behind.

They have quite a few off brand tires that I have used and have been decent.

I've never had a set of Michelins on anything.

For a 92 Explorer these would be a good economical choice. A 25 year old SUV doesn't need the fanciest or most expensive tires.

Every tire company has their budget line that is usually made elsewhere by someone else. Those Michelin tires with the great price at a big box store are made by a outsourced manufacturer.

If the store is giving you a good warranty with these tires then I would go for it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Buy something from discount tire, whatever you buy there they will stand behind.

They have quite a few off brand tires that I have used and have been decent.

I've never had a set of Michelins on anything.

If you need 235/75/15s they had Goodyear Wranglers for $40 after rebate the last few sales.

Goodyear has some excellent rebates coming up I believe starting on Oct. 2nd. We just got the new advertising in at work. There's an even better rebate deal if you put it on a GY credit card. Keep an eye out after the current promo expires.

well they can't be worse than Firestone
27.gif

What size do you need? Also, Walmart's Douglas tires are made by Goodyear, and a good amount of them are US-made. Kelly tires are also US-made Goodyears.

I'm seeing a lot of Milestar tires around here... lots of the Grantland and Patagonia models on SUV's.

50,000 mile warranty.

I've been buying Kenda's from discount tire. Really good tires. They make some really good off-road stuff.

Their claim to fame was/is motorcycle tires for desert racing. Their car and truck stuff is top notch. I had been running Kenda's on my desert scoots for years, finally got a pair of M+S for Pop's pick up - nice. Then got four for the Saab - nice.

Bought a pair of Kenda Kinetica's for the front of the race car. Mounted on some Pro-Star wheels. The guy at the tire shop was blown away. The ONLY tires he has ever mounted that required ZERO wheel weights. Both tires. Blew me away too
smile.gif

Found out after the fact that the ones on the Saab prolly would have been close to 0 wheel weights IF I had the tech follow their instructions. Yellow Dot at the valve stem. We mounted them randomly and they still needed little weight. Run smooth. Good wet traction.

Look into their line and see if anything interests you ...
smile.gif

No more Michelin's for me after I've had too many separations and early ozone cracking. Toyo's will out live Michelin's 2:1 on low mileage seldom use tires ... I used to be a Michelin fan, but too many disappointments ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
this is BITOG, you should be ashamed of asking for tire advice other than Michelin.

Yeah, yeah . . . the wife's car gets the Michelins. I get what I can afford.

21.gif

Wrangler Radials look good on an old Explorer, but just about everything is a better actual tire. No experience with the Achilles brand, but I have become a fan of Crosswinds.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
Looking for new rubber for my 92 Explorer 4X4. Have Bridgestone Duellers on them for the last 10+ years. Tires still have some tread, but ozone rot is apparent. It's not getting the long daily driving and trips it did 20+ yrs ago - about 2/3 on road, 1/3 off road - no rocks or mud bogging, just some primitive roads (to put it politely)to my son's place and hunting camps.

Don't want to dump a ton of money into tires, and I don't know how much longer I'll have the vehicle. Was at my local Good-Year place looking at the Wrangler and saw an 'economy' line of SUV tires that look like real dirt road & snow grippers. The brand is Achilles, and the model is the Desert Hawk A/T for @ $20, per tire less than the Goodyear. I'm always leery of bargain brands that I've never heard of. My gut tells me "go for the Goodyear", but I'm also curious about this other brand . . . after all, at one time Samsung was cheap junk, now they're one of the premier phone makers - who knew ?

I had not heard of this brand, and figured they were Chinese knock offs of Chinese [censored]. Turns out they're from Indonesia, and the company seems to have had startup assistance from both Continental and Pirelli

Thanks in advance.

While I have also seen them, I have no experience with Achilles. However, I have to suggest THESE, if you need the 235/75 I think you do. $76 each shipped...I have used them, and was pretty impressed.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Wrangler Radials look good on an old Explorer, but just about everything is a better actual tire. No experience with the Achilles brand, but I have become a fan of Crosswinds.

Did the GY Wrangler Facials come from the factory on Explorers? They were factory on CJ and YJ jeeps! If I can get my hands on an early 90s Jeep, first stop we're making is Wal-Mart for a set! Nostalgi, of course.

As for Chinese brands, in a fan of GT Radial. Focus needs new tires in the sprinf, i will also give a look at Crosswinds

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm seeing a lot of Milestar tires around here... lots of the Grantland and Patagonia models on SUV's.

50,000 mile warranty.

I've seeing them on work vans and trucks as well. The former Goodyear-branded dealer up the street from me sells a lot of Milestars, and the Lexus dealer my parents use offer them as a "low cost" option.

Comcast is still using Primewells and Dexteros, whatever Firestone will throw on for cheap.

It's also common to see 1st tier tire/rubber companies provide know-how or even ownership in some of those tire companies. Michelin provided assistance to Hankook years ago, they also own Warrior in China. Goodyear supposedly assisted Double Coin.

In the case of Cheng Shin/Maxxis and Kenda, they started out making bike tires. Cheng Shin has a JV with Toyo in China.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Did the GY Wrangler Facials come from the factory on Explorers? They were factory on CJ and YJ jeeps! If I can get my hands on an early 90s Jeep, first stop we're making is Wal-Mart for a set! Nostalgi, of course.

No, but they look similar to the Firestone Radial ATX, predecessor to the infamous Wilderness AT...can't buy those anymore!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: HouseTiger

Thanks in advance.

While I have also seen them, I have no experience with Achilles. However, I have to suggest THESE, if you need the 235/75 I think you do. $76 each shipped...I have used them, and was pretty impressed.

That's a great idea-retreads (that have at best mixed reviews on different sites) verses a brand new tire-even if they are off shore. I will take the brand new tires any day-unless you can find negative reviews on the tires in question. I can find plenty of negative reviews on the tread wrights-including this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back