LSA Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a couple of quarts of LSA from Numrich.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/281390

281390.jpg

The lubricant semi fluid oil appears to be made in 1990 or have an expiration date of 1990. I have been using the stuff, as long as I shake it up well, it works. I pour LSA from the can into one of those 4 ounce plastic LSA bottles. I have a marble in the bottle and shake and the LSA comes out thick and uniformly white. A creamy white substance deposits out of the fluid but will go back into solution if shaken. I assume that is normal.

My question, what is the shelf life of LSA? And, how what indications are there that will tell me that it is past its shelf life?

One more, what is a commercial equivalent? Someday my surplus cans will empty and I wonder where I can buy new.

With everything that's currently available out there to lubricate firearms with. I'm trying to come up with a reason to purchase quarter century old, $10.00 a quart, surplus gun lube? I can't.

Originally Posted By: billt460
With everything that's currently available out there to lubricate firearms with. I'm trying to come up with a reason to purchase quarter century old, $10.00 a quart, surplus gun lube? I can't.

I couldn't agree more.

Used this stuff in the Marines on both M-16 and M-60 and I was never impressed.

Ed

$10 a quart is a lot cheaper than many other alternatives. What I like about LSA is that it's thicker than CLP and stays put better, but it's still creepy enough to seep in between parts that aren't disassembled.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
$10 a quart is a lot cheaper than many other alternatives. BSW

Buy yourself a quart of Mobil 1. You can get it for around half of that, in any thickness you desire. And it won't be decades old. If it bothers you that it's an automotive product, write "Gun Oil" across the front of the bottle with a Sharpie. Your guns won't know the difference.

I have been using Mobil 1 for decades as a firearms lubricant. I think it is great stuff. I started using LSA in my match AR15's, match M1a's, and never had an issue with the lubricant. However, I keep my firearms clean and lubricated, a typical NRA highpower match is 88 rounds total, and I clean my rifles religiously after each match. I am not shooting endurance tests. I am not into running my weapons dry or dirty, nor into storing a dirty weapon and letting it rust between matches. More recently I started shooting NRA Bullseye Competition and have tried LSA on my M1911's and M41's and M46's. The most any pistol gets during a match is 180 rounds, if I shoot my 45 ACP in the Centerfire and 45 ACP matches.

What I like about LSA is the stuff sticks to the surfaces. I cannot prove that the lubrication of a semi fluid grease is any better than a thin oil, but, at the end of a match I find the metal surfaces well coated, and the pistols function as it should. My M1911's are fired with the lowest power loads possible and if they run dry they will malfunction. It is not unusual to see Bullseye Competitions oiling their pistol before going down range to score. Commonly these guys are putting a drop of oil on the barrel end, where it rubs in contact with the barrel bushing. Everyone has an oil bottle. Based on the bluing wear on the muzzle of my Les Baer Wadcutter, that is a high contact area. Something else I have seen, is Nationally ranked shooters passing a cleaning rod down the barrel after ten rounds. For the M1911's I liberally lubricate the barrel end, barrel bushing, barrel link, slide stop, locking lugs, and slide rails. I also put a drop down the hammer to lubricate the sear. I liberally lubricate my S&W M41's, particularly the slide recesses and under the barrel.

LSA is still being used and is recommended as the lubricant for a number of firearm applications. Therefore, opinions that it is old and obsolete need to come with rationale, something which I have not read.

6FBDTkU.jpg

Choice of firearm lubricants is often highly opinionated and since there are lots of lubricants on the market there are lots of opinions. I think LSA is a good choice for my applications based on tens of thousands of rounds shot downrange in NRA competition. What I was hoping for, was expert advice on how to recognize if LSA has reached its shelf life. And, where and what a commercial equivalent might be.

Maybe someone who actually has a tribology background, or an industry background, can provide an informed opinion.

Last edited:
$10 a quart is a lot cheaper than many other alternatives. BSW

Buy yourself a quart of Mobil 1. You can get it for around half of that, in any thickness you desire. And it won't be decades old. If it bothers you that it's an automotive product, write "Gun Oil" across the front of the bottle with a Sharpie. Your guns won't know the difference.

I use engine oil on all my guns that have a oil pump and oil feed lines to the bearings.

BSW

I use engine oil on all my guns that have a oil pump and oil feed lines to the bearings.

Just as I'm sure all of the Frog Lube users only apply it to guns that run on a roller coaster track.

Quote:

LOL!

I think the recommendations I have seen so far in this thread , and in the ignorance expressed on this site about semi fluid greases, are based on the fact that Walmart does not carry semi fluid grease in the Automotive Department. People are familiar with what is on the shelf in the Automotive Department and other areas of lubricant technology that are not in the Automotive Department are in that department where there be monsters. Maybe one of those shelves in women's lingerie. It is apparent after searching this site, for posts on semi fluid greases, posters know more about margarine in the dairy section than about semi fluid greases.

Based on the manufacturer recommendations, semi fluid greases should be an excellent lubricant for firearms. The stuff is used in gear boxes and wheel bearings. Those applications are heavy duty applications which need a lubricant with tenious surface holding capability. I decided to conduct my own web search, found with almost no effort, manufacturer recommendations for semi fluid greases as such:

Penrite Semi Fluid Grease may used in the following applications:

Normal operating temperature range is from -20ºC to 130ºC.
Trailer bearing hubs where heavy oils are specified and leakage is a problem
Chain cases
Slow speed industrial gear boxes where AGMA 7EP (ISO 460 and above) or heavier oils are specified
Leaky gear boxes
Reduction gear boxes in slasher mowers
Track rollers in earth moving equipment
Centralised lubrication systems that require fluid (or "liquid") type greases
Burman motorcycle gear boxes

Similar applications are found with Amsoil and Royal Purple.:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/semi-fluid-00-synthetic-ep-grease/

http://www.royalpurpleindustrial.com/products/thermax-semi-fluid-grease/

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/greases/cid(12524)/semi_fluid_00

I did find this grease shelf life estimate from a Penrite grease brochure, one that is worth downloading for a reference:

Penrite Grease
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/tech_pdfs_new/Grease_brochure.pdf

GREASE SHELF LIFE:

The shelf life of any grease is affected by the type and amount of
thickener used, consistency of the grease, manufacturing method
employed and the formulation complexity. Generally, straight
Lithium, Lithium Complex and Calcium Complex greases remain
stable for a long time. Aluminium Complex greases tend to set and
harden, but remain stable. Bentone and Barium greases tend to
soften on aging. Based on these observations:
The shelf life of most Penrite greases is about 5 years. However,
Steering Box Lubricant and Semi Fluid Grease only have a 2 year
shelf life :

I don’t know why these semi fluid greases have such a short shelf life, maybe the base separates from the additives. I know, on every bottle of mil spec LSA it tells the user to shake well. I inserted a marble in my 4 ounce plastic bottles and shake the heck out of the them.

I have pulled the Mil Spec for LSA and found something unusual: it is a product spec not a performance spec and has a specified composition:

Lithium stearate
Bis sebacate
Di Isopropyl phosphate
2,6 di tertiary butly-p-cresol
Barium dinonylnapthanlene sufonate

I have looked at a couple of the chemical compounds, will search for information on the others. I don’t know if this lubricant has been superseded over time by other formulations or not. Manufacturer advertisements always claim to the latest and greatest, but don’t provide any meaningful data or comparisons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlamFire
......The shelf life of most Penrite greases is about 5 years. However, Steering Box Lubricant and Semi Fluid Grease only have a 2 year shelf life.

...I don’t know why these semi fluid greases have such a short shelf life, maybe the base separates from the additives. I know, on every bottle of mil spec LSA it tells the user to shake well.

So, it would appear that for whatever reason, these semi fluid lubricants have a very limited shelf life. The Military dumped this stuff in favor of CLP sometime in the early 80's. Which makes most all of this LSA that's for sale on the surplus market close to, if not over 30 years old. Or over 10 times beyond it's normal shelf life.

......The shelf life of most Penrite greases is about 5 years. However, Steering Box Lubricant and Semi Fluid Grease only have a 2 year shelf life.

...I don’t know why these semi fluid greases have such a short shelf life, maybe the base separates from the additives. I know, on every bottle of mil spec LSA it tells the user to shake well.

So, it would appear that for whatever reason, these semi fluid lubricants have a very limited shelf life. The Military dumped this stuff in favor of CLP sometime in the early 80's. Which makes most all of this LSA that's for sale on the surplus market close to, if not over 30 years old. Or over 10 times beyond it's normal shelf life.

You are just repeating nonsense you read earlier in this post. For LSA, the NSN is still current, 9150-00687424, it is on the current Qualified Products List. A search for semi fluid grease, and the spec create hits on Biz Ops. And, it seems, no one noticed, the date for the PM Monthly, where Connie Rodd and MSG Half-Mast are recommending its use, is dated Aug 2015.

Sentinel Canada will sell you some, brand new:

http://sentinelcanada.com/lubricating-oil/sent-46000/

Quote:
Semi-Fluid All-Weather Lubricant for Automatic Weapons

Sent-46000 is a light tan colored synthetic based semi-fluid grease with a lithium stearate thickener. Modern technology additives provide oxidation and corrosion resistance as well as rust protection and anti-wear properties.

Sent-46000 (Milspec MIL-L-46000C (1) is intended for use in automatic weapons systems and accessory equipment operating in severe environments and conditions where thin film and extreme pressure lubrication are encountered. Sent-46000 is recommended for the lubrication of weapons such as M2, M61, M134, GAUs, and other weapons systems where high cyclic rates of fire are encountered. Sent-46000 is suitable for use in temperatures ranging from -65°F to to 260°F.

Sent-46000 is also a suitable lubricant for precision gearboxes and worm drives where a low starting torque in cold temperatures is required as well as in applications where it is necessary to pump semi-fluid grease through small orifices.

I found a site that will sell a 55 gallon drum of the stuff, new stock, that is from 2016. Is that new enough for you? I also found sites that would sell 55 gallon drums of LSA but they did not put a date to what they have in inventory. I am not interested in buying 55 gallons drums or the 5 gallon pails that these sites offer.

This site has been a great disappointment. I was hoping to find some expertise, but all I find are Parrots repeating fallacious nonsense from others, or, repeating back what I have posted.

I think I will go to the park and dispense some bird seed and keep the pigeons there happy. Maybe they can give me better advice than what I got from their cousins.

You are just repeating nonsense you read earlier in this post.

If I am, it's YOUR nonsense. If you don't want it quoted, then stop posting it. And if they are still using it, you can bet it's not 3 decades old. As is most ALL of what's available in small quantities on the surplus market. Exactly like what YOU, the OP was showing.

I found a site that will sell a 55 gallon drum of the stuff, new stock, that is from 2016. Is that new enough for you?

So, just to be clear... In order to get this stuff fresh, so it isn't 28 years beyond it's shelf life. You have to spend well into 4 digits, and buy a 55 gallon drum of it.... Just what everyone needs, a 55 gallon drum of gun lubricant they have to use up within 2 years.
crackmeup2.gif

What you bought is way past its shelf life, Slamfire.

Suitable as part of a collection, like a 1930s can of Veedol motor oil kept next to my Packard service manual, but it's not a great choice for lubricating your guns.

Let's just stop for a second, and reexamine this thread for just a moment.

1). You started it as the OP by posting that you purchased 2 quarts of 27 year old, military surplus gun lube for $20 bucks.

2). Then after some research, you found out that it has a very limited shelf life of just 2 to 3 years. Well beyond the 27 year age of the product you purchased.

3). After which you started searching for fresher stock.... And promptly found a distributor who will be more than happy to sell you a 55 gallon drum of it, that hasn't gone beyond it's expiration date.

At this point this whole thing is going in circles. The fact is there are plenty of thicker, quality lubricants out there to lubricate firearms with. Not only will they adhere to metal well, but they won't have a 2 year shelf life. And you won't have to buy a 55 gallon barrel of it, in order to get fresh stock.

This thread is still somewhat useful because it shows several things. First off that LSA, (Military Semi Fluid Lubricant), has a limited shelf life, that I'm sure many did not know. (I know I didn't). Secondly, it explains why this stuff is available most everywhere on the surplus market. It has exceeded it's shelf life over 10 fold. It may or may not still be useable. And may even work somewhat satisfactorily. But the question then becomes, why chance it? What are you saving? It's not as if gun lubricant is such a large portion of any gun enthusiasts shooting budget.

I'm willing to bet if you had known this stuff had such a limited shelf life, you would have never purchased it. Any more than you would buy milk, butter, or any other product beyond it's expiration date, or "Use By" date. If someone sold a small amount of this product, (Military LSA), that was both fresh, and at a fair price, I might even try it. But that doesn't appear to be the case. Every vendor I have found that's selling this, is selling 25 to 30 year old product. Just as you purchased. I am not trying to be sarcastic here. I'm just applying common sense to all of this.

Because (a) it works, and (b) it'll last you another quarter century.
grin.gif

Thanks to the Air Force, I have several cans of surplus military lubes and anti-seize that are well past their shelf life, and still use them all without worry. They used to toss every item once the shelf life date was reached but now most, if not all, have a re-inspect date only. Sealants still have a shelf life though, for obvious reasons. Even turbine engine oil has, or had, a 36 month shelf life, but once it was put in an engine, there was no requirement to change it, ever. So, for those worried about using expired LSA you better not fly on a commercial airliner ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back