Copper grease on exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 21 years old car still has original exhaust with no holes. Mufflers looks like new, but pipes has a bit rusty surface. I rarely use my car as a short tripper, so it's rather unlikely for exhaust to rust from the inside significantly. Is it a good idea to cover those rusty pipes with copper grease? Should I be afraid of galvanic corrosion? Is there any better way to protect it?

Last edited:
It looks like surface rust on your exhaust which you may want to wire brush off. To make the pipes look better, you can try high heat paint like VHT. I would not coat my pipes with any grease.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I think I would just keep driving it and not worry about it.. Any wire brushing you do it just going to rust again.

Yes, the only solution is to remove the rust and apply high heat paint.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I think I would just keep driving it and not worry about it.. Any wire brushing you do it just going to rust again.

Yes, the only solution is to remove the rust and apply high heat paint.

OK, but it's not so simple to fully remove rust (even on an removed exhaust) and high heat paints wouldn't last very long on rusty surface. As exhaust is fitted in factory, it has no joint somewhere between mufflers and I would have to remove rear suspension first to be able to remove it then - and that's a lot of work. Applying copper grease seemed to be the simplest, yet effective solution.

Would a rust converter work better for you?

The Rustoleum product turns the rust black and takes paint well.

How deeply it will go into rust is something I do not know.

Copper grease will burn off the first time you get the car up to operating temperature.
I don't even want to imagine the huge, foul smelling cloud of smoke that it will produce.

21 years from an exhaust?. Is nothing made to last nowadays?.
smile.gif

My wife's Peugeot only managed eleven years on it's original exhaust.

It used to be an annual task, and a battery was a biennial job back in the day.

Leave well alone, don't fix what ain't broke.

Claud.

I've used rust converter to convert rust to a more stable element than painted with high temp header paint. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back