Mazda gf5 oil in Chrysler car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica and had to trade in a Mazda cx5. I had planned to keep the cx5 for a long time and bought a case of Mazda gf5 moly oil. It is 0w20 which is what the Pacifica takes. Can I use this in the Pacifica without issues? Thanks?

In practice, you can, but if you're looking to run an oil with Chrysler's formal approval, I suspect the Mazda oil will not have this. Now, the odds of something having an oil related failure and them wanting to see receipts or evidence of the "correct" oil being used are slim, that's a pretty new vehicle with a substantial amount of warranty left. I've gone well out of spec before, but with eyes open.

Mechanically, it would work just fine and almost certainly would meet the Chrysler spec if it were tested against it.

Originally Posted By: mnm129
The fact that it has a high level of moly should be ok as well? Thanks for the response.
High moly is a GREAT thing. The opposite of a problem. Mazda (Idemitsu) uses moly to cut wear when cold and during warmup. Also reduces friction, although friction reduction probably stops at about 100 ppm, where that stuff has a whopping 700 ppm.

The only time I would hesitate using a Mazda-focused oil in another make of vehicle is the seal compatibility issue. In this case its OK, since Chrysler only needs the SN seal compatibility tests which the Mazda oil is rated for. For example, GM demands a dexos1 oil, and they do add more seal compatibility tests for polymers they might use. Chrysler is fine with SN oil.

Last edited:
I would think that Mazda oil is at least as good as what the Chrysler dealer is using in it's service dept. (probably better)...I'd use it in a heartbeat....Why did you get rid of the CX-5?...it's on my (next vehicle) list.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would think that Mazda oil is at least as good as what the Chrysler dealer is using in it's service dept. (probably better)...I'd use it in a heartbeat....Why did you get rid of the CX-5?...it's on my (next vehicle) list.
Yeah, getting rid of a CX-5 has to be painful. Yet, have you seen the Pacifica? Its big and awesome. Comes in a hybrid version too. He upgraded to more room/capacity.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yeah, getting rid of a CX-5 has to be painful. Yet, have you seen the Pacifica? Its big and awesome. Comes in a hybrid version too. He upgraded to more room/capacity.

The cx5 was awesome. We had a decked out grand touring package. I loved the car and we planned to keep it a long time.... but my wife and I had a third kid. As they say, "Man plans and God laughs". Vans always get poked fun at but I love the pacifica... even more than the cx5.

So I will plan to use the Mazda oil in the Pacifica. My take away is that most of the oil tests are for manufacturer set specifications and why would Mazda pay to have their oil tested to meet Chrysler requirements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mnm129
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

The cx5 was awesome. We had a decked out grand touring package. I loved the car and we planned to keep it a long time.... but my wife and I had a third kid. As they say, "Man plans and God laughs". Vans always get poked fun at but I love the pacifica... even more than the cx5.

So I will plan to use the Mazda oil in the Pacifica. My take away is that most of the oil tests are for manufacturer set specifications and why would Mazda pay to have their oil tested to meet Chrysler requirements.

Now I understand...Having a large family used to be the norm but now it takes a lot of courage and selflessness (unless you let others pay for their upbringing)....good for you and the Mrs...Good Luck and God Bless....

PS: Your last sentence is exactly correct...

Or, you could sell me your Mazda oil for use in my daughter's new CX-3 (or trade for M1 in my inventory).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back