New computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been considering platforms for a while now... something to nicely compliment my MacBook Pro. My choice was between Intel 1151 and AMD AM4. I have been really interested in the new AMD Ryzen processors. I went for it and built a new, Mini-ITX AMD Ryzen PC.
  • Processor: 3.1GHz AMD Ryzen 3 1200, overclocked @ 3.5GHz
  • Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) EVGA DDR4-3200, running on the DDR4-3200 XMP profile
  • Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming X370 Gaming-ITX/ac AM4
  • GPU: 4GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 SSC
  • Storage:
    Main SSD: Samsung PM951 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD via PCIe x4
    Games SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD via SATAIII
    Storage HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 5k1000 1TB 5400rpm HDD via SATAIII
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650watt Modular
  • Case: NZXT Manta, windowless

This AMD screams. It is stable at a 3.5GHz overclock on stock voltage -- running the stock cooler. Temperatures do not go above 62°C when under a stress test. The system idles around 38°C. Below are Cinebench ratings. It is a very potent 1080p@60fps machine. Way to go AMD, you've really impressed me. I would say that they've succeeded in shaking up something at Intel. The new i3s are quad-cores...

AlyxLNs.jpg

qPOQOzK.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Ryzen club. I have a Ryzen 1700 with an RX Vega 64. That thing just destroys anything it touches. I am glad AMD brought some heat to the computer world. It was long needed. I am a supporter of AMD as much as I can be. My experiences with them have always been great. I upgraded from an old Phenom II x6 1055t That lasted me 7 years and continues to live on with my little brother!

How much did your build cost you? I am looking to maybe build my own system here soon...but I always felt like the cost of the Operating System is what hurts when building your own computer.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
How much did your build cost you? I am looking to maybe build my own system here soon...but I always felt like the cost of the Operating System is what hurts when building your own computer.

It can be more expensive, and sometimes less, but a lot depends on your usage requirements and upgrade path/starting point. If you have an existing desktop you can reuse the various parts such as the case, optical and system/storage drives etc. For OS, there's possible workarounds for that too if you have the COA. However, sometimes buying refurbished may be the better option.

For your reference I costed out a basic system on a previous thread:

Here

Can't wait until I get my parts in the mail. Just ordered a Ryzen 1300X CPU, MSI B350 Mortar mobo, and 8GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM as an upgrade to my long in the tooth Intel Q6600 processor and intel mobo. It will go along with a GTX 1060 and 480GB Sandisk SSD in my current PC.

All will be going into a HP Pavilion case for the ultimate sleeper rig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Can't wait until I get my parts in the mail. Just ordered a Ryzen 1300X CPU, MSI B350 Mortar mobo, and 8GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM as an upgrade to my long in the tooth Intel Q6600 processor and intel mobo. It will go along with a GTX 1060 and 480GB Sandisk SSD in my current PC.

All will be going into a HP Pavilion case for the ultimate sleeper rig.

Nice! Please post some pics when you're done. I love sleeper builds.

My build was probably around $800.

The case was $89, power supply was $89, motherboard, RAM and CPU was $431, GPU was bought second hand for $100. I had the SSDs and HDD before hand.

I kinda went expensive on a few things I liked, some other things I went lower. Yes I have a last gen GPU and a low end CPU, but the way I look at it is that these two components will be more than enough for me to work through the backlog of older games I have. Another benefit of going AM4 is that the platform is so new. So I should be able to get a 2nd or 3rd gen Ryzen chip (probably a R7 around that time) and whatever is in the 1080Ti's spot (maybe a 1280Ti?) and have enough horsepower.

My whole goal is don't put money into something that is going to be obsolete.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Why did you use Windows 8?

Windows 10 comes up as Windows 8 in Cinebench.

This got me curious about what mine does. Apart from what is listed, I have 8 gigs of 1600 and a couple sata hard drives...500 gigs each, I think. The video card is the 2 gig version.

I recently replaced an 8 year old phenom 2 x3 system with a shiny new Ryzen 6 1600.

I was previously going to abandon AMD for Intel, but then the Ryzen CPUs hit market, and this 1600 is the best bang/buck you can get.

All said my build was ~900 (including Windows 10 Pro) and well worth it.

hbwTaBW.png

Figured I'd get one last benchmark out of this system before I start parting it out for my new build. I'll be throwing in an old GPU and PSU to be used as an HTPC or standby PC. The GTX 1060 6GB and Corsair RM550x will be used in the new build.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back