Synthetic Blend help with consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Silverado w/ 5.3 and slight oil consumption issues (like most of them). Would running Pennzoil 5w-30 Syn Blend help with consumption at all? If I ready the PDS right it looks like it is a little thicker at temp than the full synthetic. Would there be any benefit to running a blend over a full synthetic? Truck has 125,000 on it.

The synthetic cSt @ 40 is 10.3 and the blend is 11.

It could go either way...it could consume more, less or the same using syn-blend. I'd try a High Mileage oil, rather than a syn-blend, to see if the seal conditioners help....

You could try a 10W-30 oil and see if that helps.
Tennessee doesn't get that cold in winter, not likely to
see single digits on the thermometer.

My 2¢

I've put Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 in several LS-powered trucks and tens of thousands of miles later (not on the same OCI
laugh.gif
) they're still doing just fine. I wouldn't hesitate at all to put in something along those lines and see how it does.

Tell us about prior maintenance. Oil changed on time? What kind of oil was used? Knowing that, perhaps a synthetic clean up may help with stuck rings. If the engine is clean and all oil changes were done on time I would try replacing the valve cover with built in PCV. Go read about it in the Amazon reviews some claim it completely stopped.

To answer all questions at once:

How many miles per qt is it using? - not exactly sure. I check it regularly so not sure how much it's using per 1,000 miles. I'd say around a quart (maybe less).

Have you tried using an AFM Range Disable?? https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/ - I was using the Range but the truck would randomly go back to V4 mode so I ditch it. I went with a tuner and disabled it that way. I didn't do it until around 60K miles so the damage was probably already done at that point.

Tell us about prior maintenance. Oil changed on time? What kind of oil was used? Knowing that, perhaps a synthetic clean up may help with stuck rings. If the engine is clean and all oil changes were done on time I would try replacing the valve cover with built in PCV. Go read about it in the Amazon reviews some claim it completely stopped - Oil always changed based on OLM (maybe a little before or a little after) but usually around the 6,000 mile mark. Always used Synthetic. Used M1 for the first 2-3 years then went with PP. Tried Valvoline but truck didn't like it. Now using M1 Extended. I also replaced the valve cover with the updated cover based on the GM TSB.

I thought about going with a HM oil (most likely Pennzoil) but not sure if I want to because I've never read a definite answer that you can or cannot go back to non-HM after using it.

Also, after thinking about it would it really make a difference between an 10w and 5w since they are both the same at operating temps? Also, we can get into the low 10's and even in he singles here during the winter (which we have the last few years). We just don't get the snow.

Last edited:
Seems as though you like Pennzoil so why not use some Pennzoil conventional oil in it? It's full of additives for cleaning and maybe the best thing for it. I'd just skip over the syn-blend and go right to the conventional. And this is coming from someone that runs full syn in one car and a syn-blend in the other.

Because I don't know the ins and outs of oil specifications, properties, etc and I'm just curious. What would be the reason to try conventional over synthetic? Better cleaning and seal conditioners over synthetic?

I have the 6.0L. Using M1 5w30 I "lose" 1/4-1/3 qt during a 6500 OLM OCI. I say lose because it doesn't seem like I'm consuming it necessarily but the area around the oil pan and filter seems to be wet. I recently tried Edge black bottle and saw no drop on the stick, none. And it remained dry underneath. So it would seem like M1 finds way out of engine beyond standard consumption. so I guess the first test would be changing synthetics. See if that makes a difference. if changing synthetics makes no difference after a couple of oil changes then go the high mileage route. High mileage oil can help with tired rubber seals throughout the engine

I stay with M1 and the slight consumption because of butt Dino smoothness during the OCI. Starts getting a little sluggish and rough with other brands like Pennzoil and Castrol. Again that's just butt Dino personal preference with this particular engine.

Maybe I'll try the Castrol Edge again and see what happens. I've been using that in my sister's '06 Envoy for years and it's been a good oil.

If not I'll go back to PP and then maybe high Mileage if I need to.

So many choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back