My Amazon account got hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon notified me yesterday via email that someone had logged onto my account and changed my email address. I was able to notify Amazon about the hacking before any damage was done, but it's still a PITA with many other steps I have to take. I'm one of the millions affected by the Equifax security breach, so I suppose this is a result of those bums being asleep at the wheel.

And I was enrolled in Equifax Gold at $69 a year for about 10 years before they dropped me two years ago, after they raised the annual fee to about $180 a year.

Amazon scammers are the most popular. I have gotten PayPal and eBay emails that say my accounts have been compromised. You can click on it and go to a whole eBay/ PayPal site which is all fake.
What I did was go to eBay and PayPal and call like a regular anybody person to find out these emails, sites and 800 numbers they list are all fake.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I was enrolled in Equifax Gold at $69 a year for about 10 years before they dropped me two years ago, after they raised the annual fee to about $180 a year.

Your eligible for Free Credit Monitoring. Click the link below then select the Orange box in the upper right corner to enroll:

Equifax Security 2017

Last edited:
After the Equifax hack I just went ahead and froze my reports at all four agency's for both my wife and I. Two of them charge and two don't. Plus I have the free monitoring through Equifax.

Amazon notified me yesterday via email that someone had logged onto my account and changed my email address. I was able to notify Amazon about the hacking before any damage was done, but it's still a PITA with many other steps I have to take. I'm one of the millions affected by the Equifax security breach, so I suppose this is a result of those bums being asleep at the wheel.

And I was enrolled in Equifax Gold at $69 a year for about 10 years before they dropped me two years ago, after they raised the annual fee to about $180 a year.

How many of your online accounts share the same password? That's frequently the culprit as any one breach leads to multiple attacks.

BSW

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
I was enrolled in Equifax Gold at $69 a year for about 10 years before they dropped me two years ago, after they raised the annual fee to about $180 a year.

Your eligible for Free Credit Monitoring. Click the link below then select the Orange box in the upper right corner to enroll:

Equifax Security 2017

Make absolutely sure you want to do this. Their terms of service say you would have to settle any monetary disputes individually so you would be SOL on any class action. I would recommend some other service to monitor your credit. Besides, having Equifax "guard" the information they were supposed to keep safe to begin with is a bit like the fox guarding the henhouse.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Amazon scammers are the most popular. I have gotten PayPal and eBay emails that say my accounts have been compromised. You can click on it and go to a whole eBay/ PayPal site which is all fake.
What I did was go to eBay and PayPal and call like a regular anybody person to find out these emails, sites and 800 numbers they list are all fake.

yes, but those phishing emails usually tell you your account was locked and you need to click on a link to "verify" it or you will get $50 reward if you click on a link.
i get a few of those (as well as from "banks" I don't have business with). A good tip of is when i get it in email account not associated with amazon/banks.

Mine did also. They changed my user name and sent me a phony email telling me to sign in with the new user name and my password. Didn't do it and called Amazon. Took them 3 days to switch it back to the old one. So I changed everything. I wonder if it is from the Equifax debacle? I don't trust Equifax's free monitoring. Tried locking my credit but couldn't with 100 million other people trying to sign up.
Went with Costco's monitoring service for 8.99 a month. Costco members check it out.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
yes, but those phishing emails usually tell you your account was locked and you need to click on a link to "verify" it or you will get $50 reward if you click on a link.

It's also odd how many emails I get promising me a $50 Amazon gift card (from an email that is nowhere close to an Amazon domain name). It always pays to look at the email address, considering so many of these fools are adept enough at making a beautiful looking email that looks totally legit, yet haven't a clue at how to spoof an email address, or have some link that is clearly not legitimate.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
When possible, set up 2 Step Verification.

From then on, when logging in, you will receive a PIN (by phone)
that you type in.

I like 2-Step Verification and use it whenever possible.
I use it at any web-sit that holds my money or if my money passes thru it.
Also important is protecting your e-mail account.
* Strong password
* 2-step verification

Everyone needs to make the effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys.

Common phishing sceme. NEVER click any links in an email unless you know it's from a ligitimate source. Always go to the real website and go in from there if you need to log-in and do something.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Common phishing sceme. NEVER click any links in an email unless you know it's from a ligitimate source. Always go to the real website and go in from there if you need to log-in and do something.

Yep. Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid

* 2-step verification

Actually its "Two-Factor" Authentication...in most cases. When you log into an account (like Amazon) it sends out a signal to verify the device is one you use. If not then you must clearit with a secondary code obtained by cell phone (usually) or email.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back