K&N Oil Filter For 2014 Harley Road King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the HD oil filter, was thinking of switching to the K&N for the ease of installation.

Is the K&N filter equal to the OEM product in flow, filtering ability, etc?

Harley's advertises it as a 5 micron, but I think they say "nominal" which is about 50% efficiency.

Any experts out there?

RevRider

50% efficiency at 5 microns is still pretty good. Watch out for K&Ns with the welded nut on the end ... there have been a few threads about the spot welds around the nut failing and causing oil leakage which could soak the back tire and cause an accident. Too much of a risk on a motorcycle IMO.

Gee, didn't know that.

The only other filter with the nut is the HiFloFiltro, I wonder if they have the same issue?

Its a couple of filters and the recall is on their website. Like all other companies, recalls happen.

I have two of the recalled K&N's. glad I didn't use them on my bike, as the filter placement could have dumped oil right in front of my rear tire. when I looked two weeeks ago, K&N had not given instruction on how to get a replacement filter. I think you will find that the HiFlo filters and the K&N are made by the same mfr.

Not certain who makes the HD oil filter, I heard Champion Labs.

Regarding the Fram Ultra, I don't think these are for the Harley's.

Originally Posted By: RevRider

Regarding the Fram Ultra, I don't think these are for the Harley's.

Why not?
While Fram does not list a Ultra filter for the Harley, the Harley is spec'ed for a PH6022, and is a clone of the PH3614 (just a different paint job).
A XG3614 will work just fine, and if you have the room, the longer xg3600 will also work.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a silicone ADV. Nitrile ADV and air cooled engines are not a good combination.

Gee, didn't know that.

The only other filter with the nut is the HiFloFiltro, I wonder if they have the same issue?

HiFloFiltro with the nut and K&N are the same filter. You can buy the HiFloFiltro without the nut, and internally it's the same as the ones with the nut.

The K&N and HiFloFiltro are made by the same company in Thailand, is that correct? I am thinking it would be identical specs, I am guessing.

I went to K&N's corporate office, talked to one of the tech's yesterday, I wanted to get information on the filtering spec's, i.e., micron rating w/efficiency, etc., but they said they do not give that info out - I was disappointed in that answer.

The HD filters are fine. If you are OK with black they are about the same price as an Ultra.

[Cut Open] Harley Davidson Super Premium 5 (63798-99A)

SuperPrem5.1.4.jpg

K&N got my attention due to the nut making it easier to work with. I have the HD special oil cap wrench, but it is still a pain the butt to deal with.

The HD filter looks nice, but what I've learned that without the efficiency rating stated, the 5 micron filtering ability is pretty much meaningless. HD states nominal at 5 microns, which means it can filter a 5 micron particle with an efficiency of 1% to 50% - so no one knows.

Further study revealed that the Absolute filtering percentage is more important, i.e., what percentage of filtering at what micron level.

I guess my OCD has no limits - I wish I wasn't me at times.
frown.gif

Frank

The HD filter looks nice, but what I've learned that without the efficiency rating stated, the 5 micron filtering ability is pretty much meaningless. HD states nominal at 5 microns, which means it can filter a 5 micron particle with an efficiency of 1% to 50% - so no one knows.

"Nominal efficiency" typically means at 50% in the oil filter industry.

The K&N and HiFloFiltro are made by the same company in Thailand, is that correct? I am thinking it would be identical specs, I am guessing.

I went to K&N's corporate office, talked to one of the tech's yesterday, I wanted to get information on the filtering spec's, i.e., micron rating w/efficiency, etc., but they said they do not give that info out - I was disappointed in that answer.

HiFlo used to manufacture the oil filters for K&N, but haven't for quite a few years. K&N wanted to have a second company in China manufacture them along with HiFlo's plant in Thailand. HiFlo refused because they had supplied them since K&N got into the power sports market with virtually no failures, and they also retained the rights to the filter design and all the components within.

Ever since K&N has had them manufactured in China they have had multiple issues, failures, and also the recall (and have even been banned at some racetracks due to frequent failures).

HiFlo continues to manufacture high quality filters and have their entry level filter, and then the race version with the nut and synthetic filter media, plus at a cheaper cost. I'd go with the HiFlo if it was my dollar.

I recently bought some K&N KN-138 oil filters, which state made in Thailand on the box and can, and look identical to some HIFloFiltro filters I have.

I'd say that HiFloFiltro is still making at least some of the K&N oil filter line.

If the K&N's are manufactured in Thailand and or have the TUV certification, they are old stock when they were being manufactured by HiFlo, they're exclusively made in China now. You can always contact K&N to verify, sadly its been tis way for years.

Here's my update:

I ordered the HiFloFiltro HF171CRC for my bike, 2014 HD Road King.

As I stated in an earlier post, I went to K&N's Headquarters, met with one of the tech reps who was very polite/courteous, but would not address the questions I asked about their filter's filtering ability, flow rates, etc. I was disappointed as I thought they would be more forthcoming with this information in order to sell their product. He stated their filter met or exceeded the OEM's product. I want to state I am not bashing K&N, they are no doubt a fine company, with good products, but as a consumer I needed more information before making a buying decision.

This morning I called HiFloFiltro's office in the U.S., they are in Georgia. I was transferred to their technical department where I was able to talk to their representative for about 20 minutes on their product as it compares to the Harley's filter, Premium 5 micron. If I heard correctly, HD's testing is a 1 pass only test, with a capture rate of particles 20+ microns at 96%. It also captures some of the 5 micron particles. I was writing notes as he was talking. Again, if I heard correctly, the cylinder wall clearance is 35 microns.

He was very open with their product specs, i.e., 99.3% capture rate on particles 20 microns and larger, 75% capture rate on particles 10 microns to 20; with the capability of capturing some 5 micron particulates. He also relayed the max torque pressure the nut on their filter is tested to, and made the statement that in order to achieve their TUV Certification it is a requirement that they meet/exceed the OEM's specifications.

Further, he took the time to review the proper application of their filter, not overtighening, etc.

I want to say I am not an oil, or an oil filter expert (truth is I'm not an expert really in anything
grin.gif
), don't pretend to be, and I am not wanting to start a oil filter war, just trying to contribute to our community with information that others might find beneficial.

I like when a company is transparent with the product specs, I think it's the right thing to do, plus, it makes good business sense.

I told the technical advisor that in appreciation for his time & information I would let others know about this information.

Hope this helps.
grin.gif

Frank

This morning I called HiFloFiltro's office in the U.S., they are in Georgia.

He was very open with their product specs, i.e., 99.3% capture rate on particles 20 microns and larger, 75% capture rate on particles 10 microns to 20; with the capability of capturing some 5 micron particulates.

99.3% at 20 microns or greater p is pretty good, but the curve seems to drop off a bit early so it's probably cellulose media. He he say what the media was?

Thanks for the info on the HiFlo cycle filters - I've got one on the Hayabusa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back