ATV oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the stealership today, I have a 2015 BRP outlander l 450 cc rotax
They said only they're oil would work with this ATV.
They're oil is XPS synthetic blend oil. Just says summer blend down to -10 , so year round. Would not Mobil 1 or a similar oil work in this ATV??

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Wet clutch engine? I bet there is a Shell Rotella oil that would work great.

No, external clutch so no worries about friction modifiers. Amsoil has a direct crossover to the BRP oil in a 0w-40 that is OK for all operating conditions.

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
They're oil is XPS synthetic blend oil. Just says summer blend down to -10 , so year round. Would not Mobil 1 or a similar oil work in this ATV??

Amsoil 0W40 is just as good if not better. You don't have to use their oil, just oil that meets the manufactures spec. Sounds more like a marketing thing to pay retail for their oil.

Amsoil 0w-40 has been working well for me down to -30F which is about as cold as I feel like being outside.

Rotella T6, it's the best I've used in my ATV's so far and I've tried them all. Who knew that the cheapest would be the best? No need for $12 a quart "motorcycle" oils.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Rotella T6, it's the best I've used in my ATV's so far and I've tried them all. Who knew that the cheapest would be the best? No need for $12 a quart "motorcycle" oils.

Quoted for truth.

$65.99 plus tax for their SeaDoo oil change "Kits"
1 Gal of oil, a cartridge filter, and 2 o-rings.
I use T6 in my supercharged Yamaha.
I do use the OEM filters at $23.80 ea from the local marina.

The manual says that you can use 5W40 oil meeting API SG, SH, SJ. Should be pretty easy to find a motorcycle specific 10W40, or Rotella 15W40 is close.

Mobil and Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil 10W40 would be easy to find at Walmart. Castrol Actevo syn blend 10W40 as well.

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061

crackmeup2.gif
That is not only illegal, it is also unethical as well.

Like the law (forget the name) if that is the case, then the dealer/manu has to supply the oil/filters free of charge.

I had quite the debate/thread at ty4stroke sometime ago and it's surprising the amount of people who buy into this! I did my first oil change using Yamalube and a filter and it cost me over $90 @#$% dollars! The second one, I went with Mobil-1 0W-40 and a Hi-Flo filter for less than $40.00.
Needless to see, Yamaha lowered their prices somewhat (I am not taking credit for that) but now I see a different angle Yamaha are now trying.
They say, purchase/use their oil/filter, and they will guarantee for life, due to an engine oil related failure, your engine for life.
I'm curious, who actually gets to determine if the engine failure was oil related or not?
coffee2.gif

Celebrating 50 Years of Yamaha Snowmobiles & Yamalube!
2017 is the 50th anniversary of Yamalube and 2018 is the 50th anniversary of Yamaha Snowmobiles – so there's no better time to show our confidence that we produce the highest quality oil in the powersports industry. We think a 20 year or 160,000 kilometre limited engine lubrication warranty for our snowmobiles does just that!

3 Easy Steps and you’ve got peace of mind for a lifetime! •Register for FREE when you buy a new, unused Yamaha snowmobile
•Use only Yamalube Oil & Genuine Yamaha Oil Filters
•Keep your receipts
You’re Covered!

T4 15w40 Rotella dino, T5 15w40 synth blend or T6 5w40 full synthetic would work equally well with the T5 being my choice for more than likely less shear than the T6. I had a Suzuki scooter that didn't like the T6 but loved the T4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back