HF Predator 2000 inverter generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have never owned a generator, but we have had some extended power outages periodically here in central PA over the years. I didn't want to spend a lot for a machine that I'd use infrequently so I researched the Predator 2000 / 1800--overall it got good reviews on the HF website, so I bought one with a $100-off coupon. . . a little over $400 out the door.

I'm still doing the engine break-in (4 hours so far), but my first impressions are better than I expected. It seems well-built, it starts on the first pull and performs as advertised. The engine is very quiet and smooth-running. This is a fairly new product with HF, so there are no longevity comments in the reviews that I saw--time will tell I guess.

I did wire an hour meter onto it to track use / maintenance. The maintenance requirements seem reasonable and easy to do, and consist mainly of oil changes, spark plug replacement and valve adjustments.

I have a friend who has a New Holland brand gen that looks EXACTLY like this HF unit (except his is blue), so apparently the design has been around awhile. He has had no issues with his.

I expect this will suit my needs as an emergency power source for minor appliances, TV, computers etc. For the money I though it worth a try.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this gen? I'd be interested in longevity info. Here's a link to it: https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

Know one that's running the same. Says he put a NGK plug in it early on. Pretty happy with it so far. Just this last weekend he ran it for 2 days camped for his son archery shoot.
My 2k inverter gen is a different one and I been happy with it - mainly to keep the fridge going plus a few extras.
I generally do monthly runs and keep stabil if the fuel cans. Last month I did about a 7 hour run on the Masterbuilt electric smoker for smoked salmon, otherwise I shoot for about an hour monthly exercise.

It would be interesting to get some specifics regarding the working parts. Specs say it has a 79.7 cc engine. Very similar in size to that of the Yamaha EF2000is. Can't help but wonder if this might be a Yamaha knock off? Would you know if it has a push rod engine? Now that Yamaha's are being built in China, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chinese pirating the Yamaha designs.

I had a Chinese built Hyundai 2000 watt inverter generator. Lasted 175 hours before it self destructed. However, the Hyundai, with a 125cc ohc engine, it would appear that the components are nothing like the Predator you have.

If the Predator is even half as good as a Yamaha, it's a great bargain for what you paid.

I've never seen the internals of a Yamaha, but the spec sheet says it is OHC, not pushrods. In other forums, it's been said that it's a knockoff of a Honda GX engine, with fewer CCs. Max engine RPM is 4600 (spec sheet). In my original post I mis-spoke--it's 1600 watts max continuous (not 1800).

I'm currently using TruFuel 4-cycle for break-in and storage. For actual use, I'll use treated E10. Here are some pics of the engine:

Originally Posted By: boraticus
It would be interesting to get some specifics regarding the working parts. Specs say it has a 79.7 cc engine. Very similar in size to that of the Yamaha EF2000is. Can't help but wonder if this might be a Yamaha knock off? Would you know if it has a push rod engine? Now that Yamaha's are being built in China, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chinese pirating the Yamaha designs.

I had a Chinese built Hyundai 2000 watt inverter generator. Lasted 175 hours before it self destructed. However, the Hyundai, with a 125cc ohc engine, it would appear that the components are nothing like the Predator you have.

If the Predator is even half as good as a Yamaha, it's a great bargain for what you paid.

Also, this unit has a DOM of June 2017--fresh stock.

For those that care, I wired the hour meter into the 12 volt output socket and ran the wires to the rear interior area. I chose to keep the hour meter inside for ease of install and practicality--it was about a 10-minute job. The hour meter was sourced at the local NAPA for about $20.

The manual specs both 10w-40 and 10w-30 oil. I'm using QSGB 10w-30 for break-in and then probably a synthetic 10w-30 for normal use.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Most people want to power a refrig before a TV or computer.

According to reviews, this will run a fridge and all the other stuff I mentioned. I have to pick up another extension cord . . .

Predator engines are Chondas. Predator bought the old Honda OHC engine designs. Honda now has some fuel injected designs and variable ignition timing.

They are solid engines. Run well. Some of them have been bored out slightly, or otherwise tweaked. My brother has a predator 7kW generator. I think it's 420cc and 13 hp single-piston

Last edited:
I wired a double pole normally closed relay 30 Amp contacts in parallel, and put those normally closed contacts in series with the power feed of the plug that our refrigerator is plugged into. I then ran power FROM the blower motor on our furnace to one side of a double pole switch so that when that switch is on the power feed from the connection at the furnace blower energizes the coil on the double throw 30 Amp relay. When the switch is in the on position the normally closed relay contacts will open when the furnace blower motor has power. This turns off power to our refrigerator when the furnace blower runs.

I also connected the normally open contacts of the other side of the switch to power a small pilot light on the box that holds the switch and relay, so a light lights when the switch is in the enable mode. With this relay enabled my small 2200/2000 Watt inverter generator that does not have enough power to run both the furnace and the refrigerator at the same time, will run the furnace when the furnace needs to run, and will run the refrigerator when the furnace is not running.

You get what you pay for. Don't expect longevity miracles from anything from Harbor Freight. It will get the job done for a period of time.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
You get what you pay for. Don't expect longevity miracles from anything from Harbor Freight. It will get the job done for a period of time.

I understand completely. I don't care about turning this into a family heirloom. . .just that it will work the few times that I may actually need it. Since I've been without a gen for 55 years, I'll likely survive without one if it does break down. I'll take my chances with it for that price. And who knows, this gen may work out well for me, and HF.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I generally do monthly runs and keep stabil if the fuel cans. Last month I did about a 7 hour run on the Masterbuilt electric smoker for smoked salmon, otherwise I shoot for about an hour monthly exercise.

I'm planning on running it every month or two for 20-30 minutes. The book says to run it 15-20 minutes every 3 months to maintain warranty.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Get rid of the low quality spark plug asap. They have been known to to stop sparking or fall apart which damages the engine.

You're not the first person I've seen suggesting this. I'll be replacing the "Torch" brand plug today. Upon removal I was surprised at how clean the plug is after four hours of running--I expected a little more soot and blackening around the electrodes. I guess I'll keep the Torch around for a backup--it doesn't look any different than a Champion to me. Thanks for the advice!

Once you take it out, toss it. It puts a bit of stress on the ceramic when you torque, remove and retorque sparkplugs. A new champion is on $3. why chance it.

Sparkplug question:

I believe I've cross-referenced the correct NGK plug: #6535

It's a resistor plug like the OEM Torch A5RTC.

My question is, could I get by without getting a resistor-type plug? Would it cause RF interference in whatever is plugged into the gen? I intend to get the resistor plug, I was just wondering if it would be that important in this application.

Thanks for all the comments! --Rob

Originally Posted By: Robster
I've never seen the internals of a Yamaha, but the spec sheet says it is OHC, not pushrods. In other forums, it's been said that it's a knockoff of a Honda GX engine, with fewer CCs. Max engine RPM is 4600 (spec sheet). In my original post I mis-spoke--it's 1600 watts max continuous (not 1800).

I'm currently using TruFuel 4-cycle for break-in and storage. For actual use, I'll use treated E10. Here are some pics of the engine:

Originally Posted By: boraticus

does it emit the harbor freight 'plastic' knock off smell when it runs? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back