Are Toyota OEM Good For 10K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I haven't searched this as I don't know what words to type in the search. If I am gonna push my OCI's to 10K, are the stock Toyota OEM oil filters ok to use? Should I go to the Napa Platinum? Or Fram Ultra? Wix XP?

Please don't suggest I change the oil filters at 5k and the oil at 10K. Please?

depends on the car and the driving conditions. On some cars, Toyota's spec OCI is 10k. OEM filters are good for the OEM OCI
smile.gif

Even though you like Toyota OEM filters, Mahle makes awesome cartridge filters for Toyota applications.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why wouldn't they be. Toyota recommends the oil change interval.

I'm asking about the fleet in my sig. All old stuff..

If your engines are clean probably yes. If sludggy nope. If you want a guarantee goe with framultra, m1 or other synthetic filter.

toyota care doesnt change the oil until 10k on dealer bulk and their own filters. Millions of toyotas under the 2 year free maint and some who extend it indefinitely run those intervals. I think you will be fine. My moms sienna and sisters prius both have oem filters and dealer bulk and they are both running great. My own solara is much older so I don't push oil past 7k because of many factors, but my fram ultra has been on over about a year and 10k. Plan on changing it soon to see how much it collected.

Yes, no sweat. OEM filter and TGMO, I topped off with some Mobil HM oil and it hasn't used any since. OEM air filter had 40k on it and was changed out at 60k. And so was the cabin filter fyi.

Last edited:
it dependa on your conditions so nobody can tell you for sure.
i think the cartridge filters will be fine as all of those are newer design.
the older cars regular usage interval is 7500miles so you arent extending that far

but i would ask which oem filters for the canister filters? the v6 or the v8 longer one).

i would say the v8 one is probably fine for the fleet. the v6 one maybe iffy if used on the v8. same thing for aftermarket parts. many spec the same filter for v6 and v8 and its sizes like the toyota v6.
i dont think you should get sucked in by the fancy marketting for extended drain. if you want something fancy instead go for oversized filters, e.g. purolator pl20195 instead of pl10241 assuming it will fit.

if you want to test then do the worst case and put 10k miles on the ls400 with the smallest v6 filter and then cut it open and take a look.

Last edited:
Confident you are good. The OEM for my car resembles the TG once opened up. If you can get a good deal on a napa gold, id personally go with that over the OEM just to make me sleep easy (i blame bitog for making me overly cautious and possibly somewhat neurotic)

I just pulled a Toyota OEM cartridge filter out of my wife's 2015 4Runner after a 10,300 mile run. I was astounded at how good it looked, it was literally as perfect as the one I put back in it, just discolored. I was a little skeptical, as the cartridge Mobil One filters looked much sturdier, but after using both, I'm sold on the Toyota filter. It was only $7 from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
If I am gonna push my OCI's to 10K, are the stock Toyota OEM oil filters ok to use?

Doesn't Toyota say 10K OCIs when using sythetic oil? If so, then they are also saying their OEM filterd are good for 10K.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If I am gonna push my OCI's to 10K, are the stock Toyota OEM oil filters ok to use?

Doesn't Toyota say 10K OCIs when using sythetic oil? If so, then they are also saying their OEM filterd are good for 10K.

only for newer cars. this rec isn't backspecced all the way to 1990.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

only for newer cars. this rec isn't backspecced all the way to 1990.

I'd say the OEM filter would do 10K if the engine is well maintained and clean inside since Toyota says it will today on their newer vehicles.

If the OP isn't comfortable doing 10K on an OEM filter then go with a full synthetic like the Ultra. Also, even older engines in good shape should be able to go 10K OCIs on a good full synthetic oil, regardless if Toyota didn't back spec their service requirements.

I agree with your end recommendation, but not with your logic.

Toyota didn't backspec and that is a binary yes/no fact. Just because you feel it to be true doesn't make it true.

it's nothing about the "shape" or condition of the engine, but the engine design. The Older engines, even if brand new consumed more fuel, and had dumber vvti and all that other fancy stuff, which means more combustion byproducts into the oil. OCI recommendation on the older cars is 7500.

That being said, all those engines are bulletproof, so the engine will be "fine" and will keep running, even if you threw sludge into a 1UZ or 2JZ, the engine is still going to run on the sludge, perhaps less than optimally, but will get you from point a to point b, and will run fine again once you finally change the sludge out. But end of the story, it's not recommended by toyota, and they did not say those words.

Last edited:
^^^ Does Mobil, Pennzoil, Amsoil, or anyone else who makes full synthetic oil say it can"t go 10K OCIs in an older clean engine? If those older engines did 7500 miles on dyno they can certainly do 10K miles on full synthetic. That's all I'm saying regardless of what Toyota says about "back specing" or not. OPs oldest vehicle in his signature is a 1998.

OP said in his 1st post that he's going to do 10K OCIs - didn't mention what oil he's using - I'm assuming a full synthetic.

I think what you are saying makes sense Zee0six. But I think that raytseng has a valid point as well. My lady's Camry of 98 vintage could very well go 10k miles on a run. But it may well not be the totally greatest idea to do so. This is a deal where both guys are really right technically at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I'm running a full synthetic in either Amsoil or Schaeffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back