got a torque screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally got one off of ebay. a mountz that retails for $400 new for $30 used in good condition. like a child with a new toy i went around checking all my optics mounts and action screws. lot were loose or at different torques. thing works like magic

this thing is the shizzle. don't know why it took me so long to get one

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
finally got one off of ebay. a mountz that retails for $400 new for $30 used in good condition. like a child with a new toy i went around checking all my optics mounts and action screws. lot were loose or at different torques. thing works like magic

In all my years of installing fasteners using screws I have never seen a recommended torque setting posted.

confused.gif

But new tools are always fun!

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: WhyMe

In all my years of installing fasteners using screws I have never seen a recommended torque setting posted.

confused.gif

I'm being pedantic, but cylinder head bolts are a variant of a crew.
I dare say the robots that assemble cars and other stuff in factories are programmed to specific tourques further angles.

But a man with a new tool is just like a kid with a new toy. Enjoy.

Claud.

T
Originally Posted By: Claud

I dare say the robots that assemble cars and other stuff in factories are programmed to specific tourques further angles.

Claud.

Well Claud then you are in luck because it is now possible for you to use a screwdriver to tighten down your head bolts.
confused.gif

i have one too.
i service a few items with torque specs on the screws.
fanuc encoders for one.
saves from overtightening stuff.
i dont dare guess at this as i always overtighten if i do.
i also dont want to have to drill/tap on a device that is sensitive to the slightest contamination.
these things are almost clean room sensitive.

confused.gif

T
Originally Posted By: Claud

Claud.

Well Claud then you are in luck because it is now possible for you to use a screwdriver to tighten down your head bolts.
confused.gif

Got a screwdriver that does that, it comes as a kit, a socket, extension bar and a 1/" drive wrench that clicks. Drives the bolt type screws into cylinder heads just perfect.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Claud.

Last edited:

confused.gif

Aircraft maintenance requires it but in many manuals the requirement is "hand tight". Torque screwdrivers were the most unused tool we had in the Air Force and most eventually failed calibration and had to be replaced before they ever touched a fastener.

I came across some aircraft torque screwdrivers that are settable, very nice only used
them a few times, but you never know! Of course, they need to be set with a torque indicator!
Got that too!

Phillips Head machine screws and driver bits are designed to "cam-out" the bit before the fastener is damaged in tension.

Our assemblers at work have torque limiters - it mainly stops the re-chargable panasonic power drivers from drilling out the phillips profile mild steel fillister head screws (typ 2-56, 4-40 taps).
Sometimes you gotta take something apart - later !

I don't adjustable torque limiters - I have the "lifelong mechanic" built-in torque meter on my wrist
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They are very popular in gunsmithing. I still need to get one to add to the collection.

yeah . i am just using it for scope and mount screws . most of these are in inch pounds so its easy to strip them

been playing with it this morning. its weird in that 15 -20 inch pounds seems like a lot of torque though the wrench. way more than seems with an allen wrench .

so its this the way it usually is in that a allwn wrench will bend before its get to a good torque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back