Zerex G48 Coolant Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have found that G05 concentrate & premix is generally reasonably accessible in consumer-grade packaging through heavy vehicle outlets (truck stops, truck/heavy vehicle parts dealers) and some select automotive shops.

Would personally like to use G48 for added peace of mind; but have had a lot of difficultly locating anyone who stocks this stuff through Google searches. The best I've come up with are things like 20L drums of concentrate for anywhere north of AU$150. That's great and all - but I don't need that much coolant!
crazy.gif

I had previously thought Pentosin had me covered, but it turns out the product I used was G12 coolant... Not sure if this is a European dex-cool equivalent, or what. In any case, its time to change it, and I would like to be using something resembling factory specs.

Obviously, if G05 & G48 are more or less the same, and interchangeable, I am happy to just use G05. I also know that Penrite produce a "G48 approved" coolant, which is green...
This is a H/OAT coolant that is supposedly guaranteed for much longer than the bi-annual change interval recommended by BMW, and there is no mention of the silicate content - both of which make me a bit wary of the product.

Motul is another "blue coolant," but unfortunately this is G11 Rated.

So that's the predicament... Any suggestions? Would like to be using the factory-recommended product, there's a reason a specific formulation is recommended over some generic green coolant.

Hi Mate,

I use to own an Audi and looking into the coolants, I think it went something this, according to Glysantin and Penrite.

1981 -1996, G48 HOAT, Penrite Green (7 year stuff) similar to G05 and Audi called it G11.
1996 - 2008, G30 OAT, Penrite Blue
2008 on, G40 Si-OAT, Penrite Red, Audi called it G12+

As far as I can tell BMW has always called for G48.

Penrite claim their coolants are genuine Glysantin stuff.

BTW in Oz Valvoline make Zerex G-05 HOAT (Green) and DexCool OAT (Red) which I have seen, plus they claim to make a G-48 (Blue) which I have never seen in the flesh.

Go by the ratings, not the colour, which is just a dye, and as you can see above with Valvoline and Penrite, it's not consistent between manufacturers.

To be honest, with a good flush with water first, I would use any of the above coolants. Europeans like phosphate free and I believe that it's to reduce precipitates if somebody uses hard tap water, as I always use demineralized water, this isn't an issue to me. The Japanese like silicate free, again it's a concern with precipitates and I believe it's a rare problem and only if the coolant becomes over concentrated.

Three options:
- G05 because it's a good coolant, easy to find and very similar to G48
- Penrite Green because it's G48
- G40 (Penrite Red) as I consider it a nice update to G48 plus if you are running G12 right now, then it's the same stuff (or very similar).

Originally Posted By: Schuttwegraeumer
The Blue BMW coolant is Glysantin G48 or VW G11 (TL 774 C)

Thanks SR5 for the detailed response.
The only concern with the Penrite was the use of an additive called "2-Ethylhexanoic acid" that isn't found in the G05 or G48 equivalents - the stuff in Dex-Cool that supposedly plasticises some types of gaskets and causes the "Deathcool sludge."

My concern with the G05 was the Nitrites. Maybe I'm just be a "P P" (pedantic pr*ck), but I'm not sure what the intent of this additive is - the indicators are a cavitation inhibitor. Given this stuff is accessible in the size I require; it might be the go. I had a look on Valvoline's Australian website and found G48 is only available in 20L and 200L drums of concentrate.
Not sure what BMW wants for their G48 equivalent, but I suspect that would be pretty steep.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Thanks SR5 for the detailed response.
The only concern with the Penrite was the use of an additive called "2-Ethylhexanoic acid" that isn't found in the G05 or G48 equivalents - the stuff in Dex-Cool that supposedly plasticises some types of gaskets and causes the "Deathcool sludge."

My concern with the G05 was the Nitrites. Maybe I'm just be a "P P" (pedantic pr*ck), but I'm not sure what the intent of this additive is - the indicators are a cavitation inhibitor. Given this stuff is accessible in the size I require; it might be the go. I had a look on Valvoline's Australian website and found G48 is only available in 20L and 200L drums of concentrate.
Not sure what BMW wants for their G48 equivalent, but I suspect that would be pretty steep.
In the USA, G-05 was used in both gasoline and diesel engines, by both Ford and Chrysler, that's why it has nitrites in the formula. I've used G-05 as a retrofit for conventional green in several vehicles without issues, but never in a BMW, unfortunately.

According to this, Penrite Green is a proper G48

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/img/oem_pdfs/Coolants Approval Letter.pdf

BTW this thread is a good read
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1746527/
It says that G48 is G11, G30 is G12 and G40 is G12++

I'm not scared of 2-EHA as I'm running Zerex Dex-Cool in my Opel (Holden) Astra right now. But if you want to avoid that I'm fairly sure that G-05 has none in it. When I looked into G05 and G48 before, they seemed very similar but that G05 has a few extra things in it, like the Nitrites which are (from memory) for a wet cylinder liner on a diesel engine. To me it looked like G48 was petrol only, while G05 put in a few extras to help with diesels engines. To me the G05 looked a bit better as it could deal with more issues.

To me G05 is a great all round coolant, I would flush out the old stuff with demin water and run it in any car I have owned. The only reason it's not in the Astra, is Dex-Cool was the same price, easily found, and matches what a mechanic would expect to find there if I get some work done. On my Japanese motorcycles I ran G05.

But choice is yours.

Contacted the BMW Dealer for pricing on their coolant concentrate - $16.51 for 1.5L, so the 3x bottles needed for a flush would cost about the same as your usual Penrite, Nulon, Valvoline (etc) coolants. At that price, might as well to satisfy the slight OCD I have.

Now to tighten that new hose that has started leaking ([censored] thermal cycling effect on hoseclamps!)
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi Mate,

I use to own an Audi and looking into the coolants, I think it went something this, according to Glysantin and Penrite.

1981 -1996, G48 HOAT, Penrite Green (7 year stuff) similar to G05 and Audi called it G11.
1996 - 2008, G30 OAT, Penrite Blue
2008 on, G40 Si-OAT, Penrite Red, Audi called it G12+

The blue coolant is G48 or G11( VW name)
The first red coolant was G12 (without a "*" in the name).
To make the confusion complete it was calle G30 by Glysantine, like the later G12+
Now, the G30 from Glysantin is G11 from VW.
The G40 from Glysantin is G12++
And the new G13 from VW is GG40.
The G12 should never mixed with G11, the G12+ and later are not so dangerous.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mas-ft.de%2Fkuehlmittel%2F&edit-text=&act=url

If you have a japanese Car or a frensh car, the G12+ is the holy grail of the coolants.
Motorcycles use Aluminium Blocks, the subname of the G30 is "Aluprotect".

I'm trying to figure out why glysantin recommends g30 instead of g30.
Maybe because the G40 approved systems are closed systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back