mitsubishi outlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone here own one?thinking of getting one but I never had a problem
with my Hyundai santafe's and don't know if they would be as reliable as they have been.

I am a die hard Mitsubishi fan. Especially the vehicles manufactured in Japan. The Outlander is made in Japan. My Montero is 23 years old and has never left me stranded. I've towed FJ Cruisers, Rubicons, Expeditions, etc......I've been looking at the Outlander. Mitsubishi interior is antiquated but their engines are great. Especially the MIVEC engines. Personal preference.

Mitsu has a great warranty. I'm not a fan of the Hyundai's. But they do look nice. Good hunting!

Respectfully,

Pajero

I've been kicking the idea of one around to replace our CRV. If we had the same tow ratings as they do in the rest of the world for the 4 cyl and CVT I'd probably get one. Right now in Canada they have a 10 yr bumper to bumper warranty in addition to the 10 yr powertrain. The V6 has a regular 6spd auto and can tow enough for me but it needs premium gas... Which is often 20% more than regular here.

Instead of basing opinion on a 23 year old Montero, look at what people who are experts on the subject say about the Outlander (spoiler alert: Its actually worse than a Compass....):
qipNbzk.jpg

I've own two Mitsubishi vehicles. Both gave a long worry free life. The Outlander is way overlooked. The awd system is top notch and gives you some flexibility such as the eco setting when conditions are good and you really don't need awd. Their engines have been around a long time and are proven but with that said, are not the latest DI or turbo engines everyone else has. Keep them maintained and they will give you a long life. If you have a dealer locally then you have easy access to any work needed. Some parts of the country have few Mitsu dealers. Of course, a good independent Japanese auto mechanic will have no problems servicing your vehicle.

I would buy one if there was a dealer nearby. The closest is 20 miles and they just closed up.

That Car and Driver opinion/analysis-based list is one thing, but the long 5-year/60k mile U.S. warranty is pretty sweet. If you can find something about the car like the warranty to really latch on to, then you can justify buying something that ranks at the very bottom.
Of course, Hyundai also has a 5-year/60k mile warranty.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would take those rankings with a 5 pound bag of salt.
They have driven them all. You haven't. They are experts. You aren't.

The Outlander PHEV (hybrid) was supposed to be introduced into the North American market this summer. It's well liked in Europe. Just google. It's a mini power plant on wheels. Great for camping etc........Don't listen to us old guys. What do we know?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

The OP asked for a opinion on Mitsubishi and Pajero and I gave him ours since we have real experience with them. Whether he wants to buy one or look elsewhere is his prerogative. The car magazines rank cars not only for reliability but for new designs and new technology. Mitsubishi has been standing still for the most part in that regard. The body of the Outlander has not changed in years. Front fascia refreshes are the only difference. Mitsubishi tends to run with the same engines for a long time. Nothing wrong with that, in fact some here will appreciate the simple workings of a naturally aspirated MPFI engine. No worries of LSPI or blowing turbos or fuel dilution.

The Outlander PHEV is a big seller in Europe and elsewhere but for some reason they can't get them imported into the US. That has hurt Mitsu since they should have been selling here by 2014.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would take those rankings with a 5 pound bag of salt.
They have driven them all. You haven't. They are experts. You aren't.

How do you know this? I have driven them and been a passenger as well.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Instead of basing opinion on a 23 year old Montero, look at what people who are experts on the subject say about the Outlander (spoiler alert: Its actually worse than a Compass....):
qipNbzk.jpg

Only the Rogue and Outlander can have 7 seats out of this group. Sure the 3rd row is small but so are my kids right now.
Most of the reviews of the 2016 and up are pretty good, usually that its not that exciting to drive but it gets the job done and is a inexpensive way to seat 7 with AWD and 1500lb towing, while getting good mileage. Probably half those vehicles have no tow rating anymore... It's no CRV in terms of refinement but its acceptable considering the price.

The Outlander is the 3rd best selling SUV in New Zealand, behind the Sportage and CX-5. A proven platform and updated often, it's nearly bullet proof. I don't have a problem between something sorted or new with bling - give me sorted any time.

Car and Driver is smoking funny stuff. Subaru and Toyota end of that pack? I think not.

Personally not a fan of mitsu or hyundai myself but compare them both with price/features and see which one drives best. Next time I buy something, I plan to test drive most cars in the segment!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My 3000GT and 300ZX have been the best cars I ever owned.

That's great, but OP is shopping for an SUV.

Isn't this a 3000GT?
grin2.gif

57.gif
15.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My 3000GT and 300ZX have been the best cars I ever owned.

That's great, but OP is shopping for an SUV.

Isn't this a 3000GT?
grin2.gif

57.gif
15.gif

Haha just supporting the brands
19.gif
It actually looks like a 94+ body style Camaro Z28,those red ones with the black roof
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Probably half those vehicles have no tow rating anymore...

XcEHhRL.jpg

As I've said, if you can find something about ANY vehicle you really like, then it blows away the ratings experts have given. Car & Driver tends to emphasize engine power way too much in my opinion, so the 2018 Equinox I chose was picked on the basis of outstanding chassis dynamics (handling, steering, and braking), ignoring the small engine's lack of ultimate power. Also chosen due to its excellent feature of idling the driveshaft when you don't need AWD, unique in this price group, and only found on expensive Audis AFAIK.

Again, only follow the Car & Driver ratings if you care about the values they expound (chassis dynamics, power, comfort, NVH). They are very good at what they do, and we don't test drive the way they do.
Its absurd to think we all do instrumented tests, around tracks & over roads, and have meetings with peers about the results!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back