A bat in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sitting down eating dinner and listening to a podcast, when all of a sudden a black object flew directly towards me. At first I thought I was seeing things, then I realized it was some kind of animal. "OH, WHOA [censored]!" I yelled as I ripped the storm door open and ran out of the house like it was on fire.

I looked in and could see this dark object flying around. After pacing around outside, I noticed it stopped, so I went back inside with my motorcycle full-face helmet on as a precaution.

Turns out it wasn't a bird, but a bat. It ended up resting on one of my window screens. I grabbed a bucket from the garage and held it over the bat while unhooking the window screen from the frame. After a count of 3, I threw the entire window screen and bucket out of the window and onto the ground. Problem solved.

This is how my evening went. I didn't even have any windows open while this happened, which makes me wonder how the bat got in.

Happened to my uncle as he was going to bed and started hearing a whirring noise. Turned on the lamp and it was doing figure eights around the ceiling. He got a broom and was able to take care of it. I forgot the exact details on the ending. But they can get into tiny crevices. Be glad it wasn't a snake.
smile.gif

Do you have a chimney and left the flue open? Bats are fine.... as long as their arse is OUTSIDE.

A full face motorcycle helmet for a bird?

What was the Podcast? Alfred Hitchcock, "The Birds"?

Check your chimney flue.

Wash the bucket with bleach...bats are often a carrier of rabies.

I have a gas fireplace and there's a cap on the chimney.

The only thing I can think of is I had my front door open (screen door closed) and it got in through a gap between the door and the frame. I had a bat attack me on the porch before and that's where I first saw it, so who knows. Still freaky.

Be sure to wipe down all counters and eating spaces with a mild bleach solution. I have read stories of people getting rabies shots for the same situation you experienced. The bat didn't touch them but nonetheless the county health will go nuts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Needlesstosay (i thought) a bat is not a bird.

When he first saw the airborned creature flying around the house he thought it was a bird and then later realized it was a bat.
He made the distinction after going back inside.
grin.gif

They come into my night classes sometimes. I find if I turn the lights out (which makes the girls squeel) they usually fly out of an open window, though it can take a while.

Bats aren't evil. they just do what bats do, mostly eat bugs. Some species eat fruit and the vampire bat is well documented. But they aren't malicious, if they are in your house they are looking for food or shelter.
An antiseptic wipe down of surfaces is all you really need to do, and find out how it got in and make it secure of course.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Australia is rabies free...

But you can get bat Lyssavirus from bats, develop hydrophobia and rage/strength, and die horribly frothing at the mouth...but we are rabies free.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/infectious/...-infection.aspx

Well after reading your link I am sure happy Australia can continue to call itself "rabies free".
confused.gif

I found this interesting:

" Rabies cases and the three known human cases of ABLV infection have shown a wide variability in the time it takes for symptoms to appear following exposure to an infected animal (from several days to several years)."
I had never heard of this delayed onset of the disease until now.

Yeah, one of the annoying things down here is the spin...

Soon as a kid down here (QLD) died of Lyssavirus, I said to my wife "rabies free, my ...."...

Then the spin started happening about it's not rabies, blah blah...

When I was in college we had bats occasionally in the off-campus house in which I lived. I used to chase them around with a tennis racquet; they were generally quicker than I was, but eventually I'd chase them out or knock one down.

They can get in not only via a chimney, but along roof eaves, attic vents that are not screened, etc.
Bats are not unlike mice; they can squeeze fairly flat and fit past openings you'd not first suspect as passable.

Time to look around your house for a thorough assessment.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Do you have a chimney and left the flue open? Bats are fine.... as long as their arse is OUTSIDE.

And aren't rabid!

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I was sitting down eating dinner and listening to a podcast, when all of a sudden a black object flew directly towards me. At first I thought I was seeing things, then I realized it was some kind of animal. "OH, WHOA [censored]!" I yelled as I ripped the storm door open and ran out of the house like it was on fire.

I looked in and could see this dark object flying around. After pacing around outside, I noticed it stopped, so I went back inside with my motorcycle full-face helmet on as a precaution.

Turns out it wasn't a bird, but a bat. It ended up resting on one of my window screens. I grabbed a bucket from the garage and held it over the bat while unhooking the window screen from the frame. After a count of 3, I threw the entire window screen and bucket out of the window and onto the ground. Problem solved.

This is how my evening went. I didn't even have any windows open while this happened, which makes me wonder how the bat got in.

Did you scream like a little girl when you threw it all into the yard? Wild animals are more afraid of you than you are of them. All you had to do is set it down on something, lift the bucket off and walk away.

Full face helmet
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

Did you scream like a little girl when you threw it all into the yard? Wild animals are more afraid of you than you are of them. All you had to do is set it down on something, lift the bucket off and walk away.

Full face helmet
lol.gif
lol.gif

Sure its easy to laugh at this now but that could have been Count Dracula for all he knew.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back