Motorcycles for weirdos, LOL !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycles-for-weirdos-and-wallflowers

"Moto Guzzi has been trying to get into motorcycling’s kingdom of acceptability for nearly 100 years now, never getting farther than camping outside the castle walls, like a weird tribe of migrant serfs."

Ha !! I freakin' love it !! Glad to be a weirdo !!
happy2.gif

Sorry about the off topic.
How does that guy come up with stupid stuff like: "like a weird tribe of migrant serfs".
People have to stop using words they don't understand.

I ll have to say when we were buying a big cruiser bike from moving from enduros. My wife and I agreed we wanted something outside the box. Being in Daytona Beach, everything is Harley, so we were pretty much anything but Harley.
We ended up getting a Triumph.
Which 2 years later I really enjoy especially after my good friend bought a Harley and I seen the nightmare they are.
That said I saw Moto Guzzi later after I bought the Triumph and I thought they were really nice bikes. I think I would have bought one of them over the Triumph. Very Retro and simple.
I thought they were a really nice bike. They just don't flood the market like Harley does.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
What's wrong with a weird group of Migrant Serfs. Thats what we had in the castle age?

Serfs weren't migrants.

not the best definition but what google returns is
"an agricultural laborer bound under the feudal system to work on his lord's estate."

I am no longer riding bikes but if I were...a brand new Moto Guzzi or Triumph would be at the top of my list....I must be weird....

I always thought I have a Guzzi for my last few riding years...that was the plan, but have had my Airhead for 10 years, and no intention of getting rid of it. I have had my 1974 Stornello from new, so there has nearly always been a Guzzi in my shed. A friend has a V7, says he'll keep it for at least 10 years...does nothing exceptional, but everything very well. If I bought a new bike, it'd be a V7. Same or less HP as my R65, but 2017 hp is different to 1987 hp.

Had a Guzzi 850 in the 70's and loved it. Had two Bmw 750's. My last bike was a 1500 Goldwing. Always wanted another Guzzi. Loved riding it.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
Had a Guzzi 850 in the 70's and loved it. Had two Bmw 750's. My last bike was a 1500 Goldwing. Always wanted another Guzzi. Loved riding it.

The 850 is now called the V9

Originally Posted By: Rand
What's wrong with a weird group of Migrant Serfs. Thats what we had in the castle age?

Serfs weren't migrants.

"an agricultural laborer bound under the feudal system to work on his lord's estate."

That's the definition for a serf, not a migrant.

He probably used the term "migrant serfs" to be purposely obtuse.

Originally Posted By: OhOMG
Originally Posted By: Rand

Serfs weren't migrants.

That's the definition for a serf, not a migrant.

Serfs were not able to be migrants. They were BOUND to the land. Basically they were one step up from slaves, having some limited rights and access to the legal system of the time/place. Sort of akin to an indentured servant in early American colonial times, but they had no choice about entering into that class. Indentured servants signed up, serfs were born into it.

Last edited:
Geez, as proud previous multi-Hodaka owner, I don't think this article was nearly complete ... No mention of Greeves, Montessa, NSU or any of a 100 other fine off the wall bikes
laugh.gif

Guzzi's are sort of mainstream. The issue, as with most shaft drives, is rising rear suspension under hard acceleration. OK in a straight line, but it can throw you off in a corner ... Add the V-Twin cadence and it can get "interesting"
laugh.gif

I got a buddy with a barn full of Guzzi's. Most are parked in partial restoration mode while he rides a Valkyrie ... I've ridden most of his before they were parked. They're OK, but I'd rather ride something else ...

BTW, there are reasons why there are bazzillions of big dollar Harley's out there. They vary from owner to owner, but each will tell you why the scrimped and saved to get one
laugh.gif

For a taste of weird try a Falcone. I had a BSA M20 when I rode a friends Falcone...the M20 was a peppy machine compared to the Falcone. The V8 is not weird, just stunning. A friend of mine always has more than one Guzzi and has just bought back the V50 Monza he sold a few years ago, yesterday he invited me to come up and go for a ride on it someday soon. I love that bike, so I will certainly take it for a spin.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The issue, as with most shaft drives, is rising rear suspension under hard acceleration. OK in a straight line, but it can throw you off in a corner ... Add the V-Twin cadence and it can get "interesting"
laugh.gif

CARC reactive shaft on my Guzzi eliminates jacking. Feels no different than my chain driven Ducatis did.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/moto_guzzi_carc (r.i.p. Kevin Ash) "Doesn't look like chain drive, but it behaves like it"

I ll have to say when we were buying a big cruiser bike from moving from enduros. My wife and I agreed we wanted something outside the box. Being in Daytona Beach, everything is Harley, so we were pretty much anything but Harley.
Which 2 years later I really enjoy especially after my good friend bought a Harley and I seen the nightmare they are.
That said I saw Moto Guzzi later after I bought the Triumph and I thought they were really nice bikes. I think I would have bought one of them over the Triumph. Very Retro and simple.
I thought they were a really nice bike. They just don't flood the market like Harley does.

Never owned a Guzzi, but have ridden them. Nice rides, and I liked the way they have done the V-twin. IIRC, Honda did that in the early 80s with a 500 and 650 series scaled down version of the Gold Wing.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger

Never owned a Guzzi, but have ridden them. Nice rides, and I liked the way they have done the V-twin. IIRC, Honda did that in the early 80s with a 500 and 650 series scaled down version of the Gold Wing.

CX500 came out in 78 and had an 80-degree Vee angle (so not quite perfectly balanced like a 90-deg, but close all the same. The Euro CX650E was particularly nice....

Honda%20CX650E%20%201.jpg

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
BTW, there are reasons why there are bazzillions of big dollar Harley's out there.

Yeah, because they're the only bikes that go with their pirate costumes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back