Would a Fram be bad for my Jetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on my new 17 Jetta with the 1.4T, im getting ready for the first oil change. Fram specs 3614 for this car, which has a PSI bypass of 12PSI. Mann (which is the OEM oil filter) has a bypass pressure of 36.3PSI. 3x more! Would you run the fram or stay OEM?

33.gif

Don't use it. Use one of these instead:
Mahle OC977/1
Wix WL7503 (Napa Gold 107503)
Mann W712/95
Purflux LS969
Hengst H317W01

The 2016 1.4T is the same as the 2017 1.4T, right?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
That's a huge disparity. Are you certain about the OEM bypass pressure?

Yes.

1 BAR= 14.5PSI

Use the OEM filter or an aftermarket filter that has the correct bypass setting such as a Mahle perhaps or Hensgt or a Wix . Oreillys probably has the Wix cheap and the Wix is owned by Mann. Document your oil changes and write down the VIN number, date and mileage on your receipts. Take a pic of your receipts as some can fade.

The orange can is a detonation fuse!!!! AAAAHHHHH!!!!! run for the choppa!!!!

lol.gif

The biggest problem with Orange Frams is the anti-drainback valve sometimes causes problems with startup valve train noise. If you get that noise you are causing small amounts of harm to the engine with the dry start. People can whine about the cardboard end caps and "wavey" elements but they are fine for 5K OCI.

If you're just looking for a cheap filter that is readily available, Fram orange with all of its shortcomings fits the bill. If you already bought one dont toss it, go ahead for one OCI and see how the engine likes it. For a few dollars more per can you can buy a much better built filter.

If you don't mind buying in lots of 5 or 10, you can usually find OEM on Ebay for very reasonable prices.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
When I had a VW I always bought the filters at the dealer, they were cheap too

^^This. My oem filters are almost half the cost of Frams at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Last time I got a filter from the dealership. $16. Walmart$9

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Don't use it. Use one of these instead:
Mahle OC977/1
Wix WL7503 (Napa Gold 107503)
Mann W712/95
Purflux LS969
Hengst H317W01

The 2016 1.4T is the same as the 2017 1.4T, right?
smile.gif

Can't go wrong with any of these filters. Don't count the dealer filter out either, they're very competitively priced and always available.

If you can get a Purflux, use it! Their crazy-looking zig-zag media lets them stuff a ton of media into a filter.

Be thankful the Fram for your car is so easy to find.

I personally don't think your car will know the difference.

Well that's great but do you know the micron level they filter at and what percentage?

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Last time I got a filter from the dealership. $16. Walmart$9

Find another supplier for your filters, maybe one that's WorldPac affiliated. For my Audi, I was getting Manns and other made in Germany equivalents for under $5, versus double that for any "domestic" filter.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Well that's great but do you know the micron level they filter at and what percentage?
Those Tearolators with holes in them on your cars don't have a very high percentage of filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back