PH 3614 In Place Of A PH 3600

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would work, bypass valve is the same and threads is the same. But why give up that extra capacity of the 3600?
I would use it for a short OCI or a flush.

Last edited:
Of course. Right now i got a fram TG3600 on my moms 10 fusion in place of the fram 3614. And i plan on using the 2 fram 3614's i got on sale on the taurus and dads eacape next.

Only use the smaller oil filter during the summer. Cold starts might just need the extra-big 3600 like the spec says, to avoid bypass events more often.
Though, that should be an XG3600 or XG3614. Wouldn't use an orange can Fram at all, only Fram Ultras.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Garages do this sort of thing all the time.

Yes. The Motorcraft Fl400 had a size reduction a few years ago and is now shorter than it used to be. (Reportedly so that another case of filters could fit inside the semi delivery trailers, but that seems a little far-fetched) The Quaker State PH8A is the size of a Fram 3600 and the Quaker State 3600 is the size or a competitors 3614. Unless the engine is extremely sludged and you are doing a cleanup, don't worry about it. Quickie-lube shops are notorious for using small filters.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I'd go pick up the correct size filter. 3600-size is as common as 3614-size.

I always use the CORRECT oil filter, be it a 400s, XG3600, etc.
My cousin has some shorter version filters of the FL-400S and offered them to me. I used the PH3614 & PH3600 as an example. I don't know the name brand of the filters he has, all I know is they are the shorter version like a PH3614. I sure hope y'all understand because explaining it to y'all sure is confusing me.
grin.gif

Sure it's just fine. Those are interchangeable. Lube shops use downsized filters to save a few pennies by the zillions daily. No problems.

Now if I was going to BUY a filter no I wouldn't buy the little one but would I worry about slapping one on? Nope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back