Trasfer box std 75W90 or friction mod gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I plan to switch out all my gear oils with redline.
Their on-line tool, claims that the transfer box needs MT-90. Why?
How much differences is there between the friction modified (MT90(its a 75W90)) and their 75W90 gear oil (on were and fuel economy for example).

Is there any other low cost, but good quality options, I've not considered (synthetic only)? I see that Mobile1 is cheaper...

Bruce

MT90 is a GL-4 and their 75w-90 is a GL-5.

I can't see a transfer case having yellow metals, but what about the transmission? Maybe they are worried about leaks from the transfer case getting into the transmission and contaminating the oil. And IF you have an automatic, maybe by default they just suggest a GL-4 for those who do have a manual..

What vehicle?

Valvoline gear oil is actually cheaper than M1 too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Redline ran like [censored] in my VAGS.

I wouldn't use it if it was free.

That's OK. Redline MTL ran great in everything I put it in. The only thing that was good about my VW products is that they looked good on the back of a tow truck😁

Toyota Truck 4x4, 22RTE engine.

I already use MT-90 in the transmission. It works grate! I was having troubles with the synchro's using a GL-5 synthetic and now there fine with the MT-90...

I'll look into valvoline 75w90 synthetic, thanks...

Last edited:
I have a 1988 4Runner, very similar to your vehicle. I have used many kinds of 75W-90 GL-5 or thicker in the transfer case, it's all been fine. No need to go to GL-4 like MT-90, there are no synchros in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back