1952 Chevy DeLuxe - Radiator cap rated 16 pounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed last night that my old 1952 Chevy Deluxe has a modern radiator cap on it, rated at 16 pounds. Although it fits properly, I'm fairly certain that a 16 pound cap isn't correct for a 65 year old car.

I would assume that it should be more like a 4 pound, or possibly a 7 pound cap.

Is there some reason (other than scarce availability of a 4 pound cap), that someone would fit a 16 pound cap here? I can't think of any.

This is a 235 cubic inch straight 6, with an original style radiator and water pump. Rock Auto has a 4 pound cap, that would appear to fit.

A 16 lb cap is way to high for an old Chevy 6. A 4 or 7 lb cap is what I would use. I use 7 lb caps on my Studebakers and they do just fine.

Wow! I'm surprised you didn't push out the packing in the pump. That is a 216 CI engine a very primitive OHV 6 Babbitted bushings in the lower end. Non-permanent anti-freeze. My '40 had scoops on the rod caps. The 235 introduced in '53 was a way better engine.

Maybe, maybe not.

If it's a 3 speed, the original engine is a 216. It's possible that the engine may have been changed out to a 235 in the past 65 years.

If its a Powerglide, the original engine is a low pressure 235. Basically a bored 216 with hydraulic lifters.

His car may have one of the post-1953 235s, but he hasn't mentioned which engine is in his car now.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Wow! I'm surprised you didn't push out the packing in the pump. That is a 216 CI engine a very primitive OHV 6 Babbitted bushings in the lower end. Non-permanent anti-freeze. My '40 had scoops on the rod caps. The 235 introduced in '53 was a way better engine.

Last edited:
Did mention it is a 235.

Didn't mention that the castings on the block suggest that it is from 1955.

My 1958 Apache has a 7lb cap. I run a 50/50 mix of traditional Green coolant.

Wasn't the 235 basically unchanged up until around 1961 or 1962?

It may be that it can actually handle 8 psi or more.

Starting in '54, the 7 lb cap was specified by Chevy.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Did mention it is a 235.

Didn't mention that the castings on the block suggest that it is from 1955.

As old Chevys go, I think the 235 was my favorite engine. In 1967, a buddy bought a beautiful 54 Belair convertible for 75$ because the top was junk.

he biggest problem will be the design of the radiator where the tanks are soldered. design changes later on allowed for a stronger seal and higher pressures to increase the boiling temperature

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Maybe, maybe not.

If it's a 3 speed, the original engine is a 216. It's possible that the engine may have been changed out to a 235 in the past 65 years.

If its a Powerglide, the original engine is a low pressure 235. Basically a bored 216 with hydraulic lifters.

His car may have one of the post-1953 235s, but he hasn't mentioned which engine is in his car now.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Those enclosed drive lines were also the pits.Haven't heard a Blue Flame six rattling for years. One barrel carb and 6.5 compression, hottest thing in town.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: drtyler
... If it's a 3 speed, the original engine is a 216. It's possible that the engine may have been changed out to a 235 in the past 65 years.

Those enclosed drive lines were also the pits.Haven't heard a Blue Flame six rattling for years. One barrel carb and 6.5 compression, hottest thing in town.
My parents had 3 of those, a'54 car (which I eventually inherited), '55 pickup, and '61 car. Never a problem with the "enclosed drive line" of the '54. The '54 235 was rated 115 gross hp, as I recall; the Powerglide version had hydraulic lifters and was rated a bit higher. The '61 was up to 135 claimed hp, but felt much more sluggish than the '54, due to greater weight and gearing that wasn't as short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back