Purpose of tube where oil filter mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to changing the oil and filter on my '65 Rambler that's equipped with the 196-cu-in OHV inline-six engine. The old oil filter was a NAPA 1049 without an anti-drainback valve The new filter is a NAPA 1258 equipped with an ADV. The old filter is about 5 inches tall; the new filter is about 4 inches tall.

When I removed the old oil filter, I found a tube -- about 4 inches long -- that protrudes from the oil-filter mount and extends into the oil filter when the filter is installed. There was room to accommodate the tube within the old 5-inch-tall filter, but the tube bottoms out inside the new 4-inch-tall filter. Thus, I am unable to install the new NAPA 1258 filter which "should" fit according to multiple sources.

Is it possible the tube on the filter mount exists to ensure oil doesn't drain from the filter when the engine isn't running? If that's the case, can I continue to use the taller NAPA 1049 filter that doesn't have an ADV?

See photo of tube below:

This pipe was the old school way of keeping oil in the filter.

If there's enough room for a pipe cutter tool, you could cut back the pipe an inch OR use
the taller NAPA 1049 filter that doesn't have an ADV and use a shorter filter later.

If you can use a pipe cutter, cover everything up since the cutter will generate
small metal bits that will fall straight down!

Nicely restored engine by the way!
smile.gif

taller NAPA 1049 filter that doesn't have an ADV?

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

This pipe was the old school way of keeping oil in the filter.

If there's enough room for a pipe cutter tool, you could cut back the pipe an inch OR use
the taller NAPA 1049 filter that doesn't have an ADV and use a shorter filter later.

If you can use a pipe cutter, cover everything up since the cutter will generate
small metal bits that will fall straight down!

Nicely restored engine by the way!
smile.gif

Thanks for confirming the function of the pipe is to keep oil from draining out of the filter when the engine isn't running. When I removed the old filter, lots of oil old flowed out of it as soon as the filter's gasket separated from the filter mount. That tells me this old-fashioned arrangement works well enough to leave it as is. I don't want to risk dropping a metal chip by cutting the tube, and I'd prefer to have everything just as it was when the car left the factory.

I'll pick up a new NAPA 1049 oil filter tomorrow and find another use for the shorter filter. I appreciate your compliment about the engine!

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
You will spoil the originality plus it is risky to cut the tube. The tube works with an adbv, otherwise it does nothing. The tube keeps the oil from flowing through the media and down the center hole. Fram makes the right one and it's a nice type too. I had a maxima with the same setup, had an adbv.

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=HP2

Thanks for the info about the Fram HP2. I see Amazon carries that filter.

I have to wonder if the AMC engineers included a one-way valve on the oil-filter input. That way, the tube keeps oil from flowing through the media like you said, and the one-way valve would keep oil inside the filter from flowing back out the input when the engine is stopped. Why have that tube if it does nothing?

It is called a "standpipe"

If you peruse the Baldwin catalog, you'll notice some of them have this feature built in.

A lot of tractors that have oil filters mounted "gasket down" use the oil filters with "integral standpipes".

Your Rambler has the standpipe built right onto the nipple, which wasn't common on many engine throughout the years.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yep, keep it stock and use the right filter.

+1. Don't cut the standpipe.

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: Exit32
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
You will spoil the originality plus it is risky to cut the tube. The tube works with an adbv, otherwise it does nothing. The tube keeps the oil from flowing through the media and down the center hole. Fram makes the right one and it's a nice type too. I had a maxima with the same setup, had an adbv.

http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Part-Detail?PN=HP2

Thanks for the info about the Fram HP2. I see Amazon carries that filter.

I have to wonder if the AMC engineers included a one-way valve on the oil-filter input. That way, the tube keeps oil from flowing through the media like you said, and the one-way valve would keep oil inside the filter from flowing back out the input when the engine is stopped. Why have that tube if it does nothing?

It's just my opinion that the standpipe does nothing without an adbv. The inner pipe side could be easily tested by pouring oil in the pipe and seeing if it goes down. If the oil stays up then it does hold oil for awhile maybe until the next engine start the next day. For sure if no adbv, the outer oil chamber will drain out. The original filter may have had an adbv.

As several have said, don't cut that pipe!

I suspect it's just "press fit" into the hex drive of the pipe nipple. If you gently wiggle/pull on it, it should come out.

You can keep it for the sake of posterity to return to "OEM" condition at any time, and yet by removing it, you can use a larger selection of filters that would fit.

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions and advice here.

After lots of online research and deep thought, I've decided to leave the standpipe exactly as is. I found a local auto parts store that carries the FRAM PH11 Extra Guard oil filter -- with an ADV -- and plan to use the PH11 and Rotella T4 motor oil for my Rambler's annual oil and filter changes.

My local NAPA store was kind enough to accept the return of the too-short 1258 oil filter, and I received a full refund. All's well that ends well.

Designing an engine with the oil filter mounted upside down should be a crime.

Ferrari has it's share of upside down filters, too so smart isn't universal in
engineering departments.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44

I like the upside down filter on my Tacoma. Easy to change, and not messy if a hole is punched in the dome end to allow it to drain before removing.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
I've never seen a filter marked "This side up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back