Motorcraft 5W20 5,607 miles 2013 F150 with 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a "rinse cycle" so to speak, on my pickup truck that I purchased the first of March. When I purchased it, the truck appeared to have been well cared for and drives like new. Truck was purchased with 81582 miles and this oil went in 100 miles later.

The truck is driven gently, only hauling an ATV occasionally. There were several cold starts at around 0F (+ or - a few degrees) but that's about it. Cumulatively, it saw about 300 highway miles, with the rest in hilly farm land. There's nothing to see here, but thought I'd add to the 5.0 reports on the web. Wonderful engine.

5.0 V8
MC 5W20
Fram PH10575
Fram air filter (don't know the number, but appeared new at purchase time)
Engine miles 87,289
5,607 miles on oil
No make up oil. It was on the full mark at drain time.
In use March 1 through July 31, 2017
Averaged 17.47 mpg over the oci

Iron 10
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 2
Tin 2
Aluminum 5
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0

Silicon 3
Sodium 4
Potassium 5

Magnesium 4
Calcium 2249
Barium 2
Phosphorus 602
Zinc 671
Moly 18
Boron 60

Water Coolant NO

Viscosity @100C 8.3
TBN 3.2

Lab was ALS via a NAPA kit. As always, I changed the <1 that they use, to zeros.

Thanks for the UOA. MC oil is still a good oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Thanks for the UOA. MC oil is still a good oil
smile.gif

Yup, it's fine and you're welcome, sir. I had planned to stick with the MC but I happened to be near an advance auto store and got their Castrol/Puro combo special for the next oci. Walmart was 25 miles away and I wasn't going to pay advance's price for Motorcraft so...

If my engine doesn't have any allergic reactions to Castrol, I may stick with that. Hopefully the Puro Boss filter works out okay, too. The louvers looked pretty good anyway.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Which Castrol product did you get?

Edge black bottle. Still using 5W20. The bottles I bought don't say "formerly Syntec" on the back. That print is gone now.

The Coy 5.0 motors typically turn in good UOAs; this is not unexpected, but a pleasant reassurance to see a UOA such as yours.

It doesn't hurt that the sump holds about 8 qts ....

I will be interested to see the "new" 5.0L in the trucks and how they perform in terms of efficiency and also wear. It's getting a "new" dual fueling system; uses both DI and MPI. May be the best of both worlds? Or a curse? Time will tell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The Coy 5.0 motors typically turn in good UOAs; this is not unexpected, but a pleasant reassurance to see a UOA such as yours.

Yup, I feel much better now. The truck looks and drives like new but I couldn't help being anxious about the UOA. I'm glad that it looks healthy and I can run it 10k (or more) miles next oci and make the most of those 8 quarts of oil.

I have a 13 Super Cab 5.0 with 140,000 on the motor. It is a company truck that I adopted with 119,000 on the clock. Previous driver towed and hauled most of the time. My use is strictly highway miles that add up quickly. The motor is sweet and strong with no oil consumption. Now at 5,500 miles on Rotella 10w 30 T-5 labeled CJ. I believe it is CK version. No oil consumption to this point. OLM is at 45%. Can't wait to send in the UOA

Last edited:
RedOak, that's great to hear about your company truck. If you get back to see this, I'd love to know if the engine has had a lot of Rotella T5 or other HDEO used in it, or is it recent use only? I may give Delo XLE a run in my Coyote, given the way it's performing in my big diesel.

To the best of my knowledge it's has had 5w-20 Motorcraft until the truck was passed on to me. Prior to the Rotella I've been using GTX High Mileage. Never a UOA on the truck. Found the Rotella on sale and thought what the heck. My gas mileage improved. I'm averaging 21mpg running 55 to 60 mph on county roads. RPM is 1500 to 2000 on the flats. The six speed auto does a great job. I'll keep this updated dustyroads. Happy trucking!

Thanks, RedOak. I look forward to hearing about your experience with T5 in your 5.0 Coyote. I'm not likely to use HDEO (although as I said earlier, Delo XLE intrigues me) because my use is strictly back roads and a good bit of short trips.

I am enjoying my truck just as you seem to. I'm getting 2.5 mpg better than any of my previous F150s. Every tank averages around 17.5 mpg but driving through the valley along a river gets me into the 22 mpgs. Unfortunately that's just a small portion of the miles.

I will watch for anything you care to share about your truck. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back